Thailand Forum
bluweyze

Opening a Thai Bank Account- New Policy?

TunnelRat69    838
15 hours ago, BKK1969 said:

My personal experience is that it depends on the branch. I have three accounts at two different banks and at two branches.
Two of them are joint accounts with my wife with whom I've been in mostly matrimonial bliss for 28 years. One is for the O visa requirements which I opened about five years ago by just showing a passport.
Last week my personal ATM card needed renewing, the lovely lass at the bank wanted my old passport instead of updating the record on her PC.
Wifey was shopping so I just walked off knowing Thais can fix this best without old white men farang around.
Works everytime as long as I shut up.
Only took me 27 years to figure it out.
Basically, get a good Thai wife and if at first you don't succeed give up and go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Or, like me, learn to speak rudimentary Thai and dazzle them with your BS, they always get a laugh out of that.

Edited by TunnelRat69

bkkcanuck8    1,478
18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lots of BKKB expat customers have online banking with them -- without having a work permit.

But I believe they sometimes tend to restrict online banking to those with longer stay entry status, like year-long, as opposed to tourist visa or visa-exempt entry. But I also think their handling of this may vary widely branch to branch.

I have a bank account with Bangkok Bank, which I opened around 7+ years ago on probably a 6 month educational visa... Whenever I deal with Customer Service they do the standard stuff - take a copy of the photo page, the entry stamp and the visa page and if those are fine they will "service the account" (give you a new bank book when the old one is filled, etc.).  

I went in on Monday to have it setup for Internet banking (have always just used ATM, but I need to pay bills and will not be here).  It was setup without any additional requirements.

bkkcanuck8    1,478
17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can't remember about this for certain, so maybe someone else can recall better:

But I have a recollection -- BKK Bank and perhaps the others have two classes of accounts, that I think they refer to as RESIDENT or NON-RESIDENT accounts. For example, IIRC, you need an account they mark as RESIDENT in order to get interest earnings.

And it all comes down to how the account rep who opens your account classes it at the outset -- as RESIDENT or NON-RESIDENT.

It MAY be that their classification of an account as RESIDENT or NON-RESIDENT has some bearing on whether they consider the account eligible for the added service of online banking.

I had two accounts with BKK Bank around 5 years ago, one was definitely interest bearing since it was a fixed deposit for a period of time (tourist visa at the time).  (around 1 million baht fixed deposit).  I doubt my account is marked RESIDENT.

NancyL    6,821

It never fails to amaze me how western guys think they need to have a Thai wife to help them "take care" of their money and "help" them with their banking.  How do you think western women here on their own or expat/expat couples manage? 

The Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai is very "foreigner friendly".  All Hubby and I had to do to open an account, albeit 10 years ago, was walk in with U.S.$10,000 and tell them we were new arrivals, with freshly minted O-A visas and had heard this was a good bank for retirees.  They were so happy to have us as customers that one of their CS reps even helped us to buy a mobile phone in the mall since it was necessary to have a Thai phone number to open an account (we already had a one year lease on a condo.)

Since then, I've helped other newly arrived retirees in opening accounts at this same branch.  There are some new regulations, something they call "know your customer" and Bangkok Bank spells out the required documents for opening a new account very plainly on their excellent website.  They will also permit current customers, with large balances, to serve as references for people wanting to open new accounts and I've done this from time-to-time with people I know.  Contrary to popular belief, they won't accept a reference from just any random Thai person and a foreigner known to them can be a good reference, too.

Anyone who turns responsibility for their banking to another person, even their wife, to be done in a language they can't understand, is setting themselves up for misunderstandings (at best) and exploitation (at worst).  The Bangkok Bank English language website is very good and I've found they have very good English language customer service on their 1333 customer service number (once you figure out their voicemail menu) and many branches have good English speaking staff.  

Dante99    1,775
1 hour ago, NancyL said:

It never fails to amaze me how western guys think they need to have a Thai wife to help them "take care" of their money and "help" them with their banking.  

There are more than a few that always go out as a pair, the guy never goes out by himself.  Sad but true.

• Like 1

BKK1969    9
Or, like me, learn to speak rudimentary Thai and dazzle them with your BS, they always get a laugh out of that.

Yes that BS used to get me by too. Doesn't seem to work anymore for an old white man.
Even the Soi dogs aren't as friendly.
Hope the pension holds firm otherwise its back to the poorhouse.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1sickpuppy    49
On 9/12/2017 at 2:20 PM, beachproperty said:

Yes....adapt...OR try another bank

Is the new law for x amount of time now being enforced like many

elektrified    2,617

A lot of this is because there is a crackdown happening (in the case of Americans). Something changed around 1 July and the banks and brokerage firms have been sending many registered letters.  I've received about 3 in the last 4-5 months. Just yesterday I received another registered letter from a brokerage firm in Bangkok saying "by law, effective immediately customers holding a  U.S. citizenship can no longer trade foreign currencies or maintain balances in any other currency except Thai Baht".

opalred    685

i have had more money taken from me by western women in my life than here

i have a thai wife looks after me better than any farang women would 

drives me every where looks after all money matters and health care 

never stole or spends on herself over many years

so don't every give me bs western women are better

we go every where together  as enjoy each each  others company 

sad to see the old farts by  themselves

sad lost souls

• Like 1

elektrified    2,617
1 hour ago, opalred said:

i have had more money taken from me by western women in my life than here

i have a thai wife looks after me better than any farang women would 

drives me every where looks after all money matters and health care 

never stole or spends on herself over many years

so don't every give me bs western women are better

we go every where together  as enjoy each each  others company 

sad to see the old farts by  themselves

sad lost souls

We have all separate accounts. My wife wouldn't have it any other way. We do 80% of our business and errands separately. We're adults....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thaibeachlovers    9,429
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, pby92 said:

At KrungThai Bank they close my account during my last stay as i not have work permit or non OA retirement visa.

They say it's the new policy.

I must show to the branch as I cannot withdraw the money I have on my account in any ATM cost me plane ticket .Bangkok Nakhon Si Thammarat and more.

As my plan was to visit Philippines I came from Paris to Bangkok plan to withdraw my money in ATM at Swampy and flight Cebu .

My on line Banking was also unavailable even if it was 10 days before.

Was not very happy.

IMG_2025.JPG

Thanks for posting that. I'll be sure to withdraw all my money from the Thai bank before I lose my retirement visa.

Could have caused problems had I not read this thread. Well done TVF.

Once again, Thailand authorities prove that they don't want farangs living in LOS.

thaibeachlovers    9,429
7 hours ago, elektrified said:

A lot of this is because there is a crackdown happening (in the case of Americans). Something changed around 1 July and the banks and brokerage firms have been sending many registered letters.  I've received about 3 in the last 4-5 months. Just yesterday I received another registered letter from a brokerage firm in Bangkok saying "by law, effective immediately customers holding a  U.S. citizenship can no longer trade foreign currencies or maintain balances in any other currency except Thai Baht".

Get used to it. Change is indeed happening and none of it for our benefit. Gonna get worse too.

I feel sorry for those starting off in life. I probably lived through the best times humans ever saw, but it's over now.

• Like 1

thaibeachlovers    9,429
22 hours ago, NancyL said:

It never fails to amaze me how western guys think they need to have a Thai wife to help them "take care" of their money and "help" them with their banking.  How do you think western women here on their own or expat/expat couples manage? 

The Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai is very "foreigner friendly".  All Hubby and I had to do to open an account, albeit 10 years ago, was walk in with U.S.$10,000 and tell them we were new arrivals, with freshly minted O-A visas and had heard this was a good bank for retirees.  They were so happy to have us as customers that one of their CS reps even helped us to buy a mobile phone in the mall since it was necessary to have a Thai phone number to open an account (we already had a one year lease on a condo.)

Since then, I've helped other newly arrived retirees in opening accounts at this same branch.  There are some new regulations, something they call "know your customer" and Bangkok Bank spells out the required documents for opening a new account very plainly on their excellent website.  They will also permit current customers, with large balances, to serve as references for people wanting to open new accounts and I've done this from time-to-time with people I know.  Contrary to popular belief, they won't accept a reference from just any random Thai person and a foreigner known to them can be a good reference, too.

Anyone who turns responsibility for their banking to another person, even their wife, to be done in a language they can't understand, is setting themselves up for misunderstandings (at best) and exploitation (at worst).  The Bangkok Bank English language website is very good and I've found they have very good English language customer service on their 1333 customer service number (once you figure out their voicemail menu) and many branches have good English speaking staff.  

Oh, how sad has LOS become? I opened my Bkk Bank a/c back in the good old days with just a passport on a visa exempt entry.

Back then I got 90 days visa exempt on arrival too, but can't do that anymore either.

Of course, back then Thailand welcomed farangs, unlike now.

scottiejohn    1,088

Just opened another account today at BKK with just my Passport.  40 Minutes all done and also online banking done at the same time.

No problems at all.  The teller noticed that my first account had been opened some time ago while I was on a Tourist Visa so said, without any prompting by me (although on my questions to ask list), that she would update my visa status and see if she could get me Internet banking either today if possible, if not by Wed next week.  She sorted it all out there and then and I actually set up the Internet Banking with my laptop & mobile whilst I was still in the bank branch at Pantip (with their help).

Great staff and service!

PS; no wife or hand holding required.

Edited by scottiejohn
PS added!
  • Like 2