Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
snoop1130

Student activists put Abhisit on the spot over 2010 crackdown

Student activists put Abhisit on the spot over 2010 crackdown

By The Nation 

b630fb7769eaf9368bd4abfa03e98da4.jpeg

Former PM and Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva was confronted on Tuesday by student activists questioning him about the deadly crackdown in 2010, as he was giving a lecture at Thammasat University.

A group of students held up a banner reading “Unfortunately some people died” as Abhisit delivered the lecture as part of activities at the “Political Science Education Fair”, held by the Faculty of Political Science at the university’s Rangsit campus.

The quote harks back to a remark made by Abhisit in an interview in 2010 following the crackdown on demonstrators during his administration that left almost 100 people dead and thousands injured.

The students, led by activist Parit Chiwarak, asked the former PM: “What do you think about the incident where a 17-year-old boy was shot dead in Soi Rangnam,” referring to Samaphan Srithep, one of the youngest victims of the crackdown.

Appearing nonchalant, Abhisit replied: “I did everything in line with the procedures. Thank you for expressing opinions and not being aggressive. But the problem was that there were armed people among the protesters, making it difficult to handle the situation.”

“Officers had no choice but to use weapons to carry out the operation,” he explained, adding, “There were clear procedures and I always stressed that they avoid causing any loss [of life]. But when [officers were attacked], it was difficult to do so. And the discourse against me continues to this day”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30326493

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-9-12

3 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

that left almost 100 people dead and thousands injured.

one man's death is a tragedy

the above number is a mere statistic

' And the discourse against me continues to this day '

Oh didums .....................you poor little soldiers boy.  It's so unfair isn't it.

I mean.....it's not like they were ' quality ' people is it.

• Like 2

A cross between a cuckoo and a magpie, I wonder why they even turned up to listen.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

A cross between a cuckoo and a magpie, I wonder why they even turned up to listen.

His decision to TAKE office without being elected does reflects bird brain behavior.  They showed up to put him on the spot.  They are good kids.  Perhaps the country will have a future one day. 

16 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As well it should.

You were the PM, and you have never taken any responsibility.

THAT is why the discourse continues...

In his defense; so far nobody in power has ever taken responsibility in Thailand.

They either run, give themselves amnesty, or just call it a "misunderstanding" while making a u-turn.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I always stressed that they avoid causing any loss [of life].

Which is why, according to Abhisit, the troops were told by CRES chief Suthep to shoot below a person’s knee without intent to kill and not to fire a weapon when protesters were mingling with innocent people.(cannot cite ref. as per TV rules).

Sincerity does not become Abhisit.

He had no choice.

Tell the students to look up the word anarchy.

Had the army not been careful they could have shot  hundreds legally for looting

Please do not tell me I am wrong,,, as I witnessed it with my own eyes.

The Bangkok Bank in Rama 4 presented guilty parties of over 6 that legally could have been shot on the spot.

It had to be stopped & the Police ran away 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

He had no choice.

Tell the students to look up the word anarchy.

Had the army not been careful they could have shot  hundreds legally for looting

Please do not tell me I am wrong,,, as I witnessed it with my own eyes.

The Bangkok Bank in Rama 4 presented guilty parties of over 6 that legally could have been shot on the spot.

It had to be stopped & the Police ran away 

Had the military not taken control of the country, again, there would not have been a protest.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Had the military not taken control of the country, again, there would not have been a protest.

Is that an extract from the red shirt book of lies?

The military were not in power in 2010 - and the Abhisit government that was took power in Dec 2008. The protests were instigated by Thaksin just a month or so after he'd been releived of some of his ill gotten riches.

• Like 2

takes two to tango, if the red shirt terrorists hadnt started shooting at others it would not have happened, seems people are p*ssed that the army returned fire when shot at. This happened because thaksin pushed the reds to do it, he is the one that needs to take responsibility for what happened, him, the red leaders and the police that were in thaksins pocket, they refused to enforce the laws of the country that allowed the reds to start it. When you have red terrorists bombing/burning/looting  the city and shooting at people there isnt much recourse apart from bringing  in the army, deaths are always a terrible thing but people need to look at why it happened in the first place and the answer is thaksin getting his corrupt money seized then paying the reds top try to destroy Bangkok

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1