Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
bahtboy

Need help with typing

Hi all. I have a Lenovo Vibe K5 Note android smartphone which has been giving me a bit of a headache over the last few days with typing.

When typing I'm getting mysterious actions. Sometimes there is a gap between letters when I haven't pressed the "space" bar. Sometimes a full stop appears when I haven't pressed the full stop button. Sometimes I cannot access the Capital letters when I press the "Up"arrow... I (sometimes) get the numeric keyboard instead. 

For example...I have just tried to type on my device in my Notepad app. "I'm trying to type now. Now pressing the up arrow to get capitals but it's not working."

This has appeared on my screen as..."I'.m tryin g to type n ow. N ow pressing the up arrow to get capitals but it's. not working"

As you can see gaps are appearing between letters and the odd full stop creeps in here and there. 

I'm fairly confident that I haven't pressed any key other than the ones I need. The problem occurs both in my messaging app and in my "Notepad" app. It has also mis-typed when I input text into a Google Play search.

Just now I tried typing in my "Notepad" app the full alphabet and I got a full stop after the letter m and a space after the letter x. Otherwise the full alphabet completed ok.

I then went into my messaging app and typed the alphabet again and got spaces after c,m,v,and x.

When I typed the alphabet in Notepad I got the following:-

1st. attempt:- A b bc defghijklm.nopqrstu vvwx y,z

2nd. attempt :-Ab c defghijklm.n n opqrstuv wx yz

3rd. attempt :-Abc c defghijklm nopqrstuvwxyz

The "up" arrow button in my messaging app seems to be working ok and switches from small letters to capitals ok, but in my "Notepad" app it switches intermittently from small letters to capitals and from small letters to the numeric keyboard, and sometimes to a totally different keyboard!

I seem to remember that when I switched my phone on a few days ago I had about 12 updates which I completed, and I think one of those was the Google keyboard. Yesterday I was Google searching for a solution before coming to this forum and one of the pieces of advice I saw was to uninstall updates via Google Play Store, which I did, but to no apparent effect.

Further to this, I've now run 360 Security antivirus....all clear, then uninstalled 360 and installed AVG. I then ran AVG and all clear, but still the same problems with typing in Notepad app. Nb. when I first typed "avg" in Google Play Store it read "a vg" (gap between a and v). Since my AVG scan I then went back to Play Store and typed in "avg" again and again it read "a vg".(same gap). 

I've also tried disabling and force stopping Google keyboard, and then installed GO keyboard with no improvement....so I've now uninstalled GO keyboard and reverted to Google keyboard.

If anyone can shed some light on what may be causing this problem, and how to remedy it, I'd be eternally grateful. I guess I'm almost at the stage where I might do a factory reset, but that's a last resort.

As a test, try installing a keyboard and see if the issue is resolved.

That should tell you if it's the keyboard app, or screen sensitivity/detection going wonky.

Hi RichCor,

Thanks but you'll see that I already stopped my Google keyboard and installed one of the many GO keyboards but it made no difference. I've since reverted to the Google keyboard and uninstalled the GO keyboard.

Think I would try some other keyboards.

Also, if you can 'rotate' your device, try spinning it 180° and see it the other side of the screen still causes issues.

Is it just the keyboard, or do other touch-sensitive apps (like games) cause you issues getting to a specific point on the screen. If so, then maybe the 'digitizer' is going out.

• Like 1

I have just opened up my messaging app and could only rotate it 90 degrees. When I typed the alphabet it seemed to type ok except that all the letters were underlined. Notepad wouldn't rotate although in my settings the screen contents are set to rotate when the device is rotated.

I haven't noticed problems other than typing. I don't play games.

Edited by bahtboy

Dirt under a screen protector can cause ghost touch problems (if you're using one).

Yes, I have a screen protector which was fitted at the shop in Central, Pattaya, where I bought it. It has seemed to be fitted very well and there doesn't seem to be any dirt/dust under the protector. I bought the device in December 2016, so it will still be under manufacturer's warranty. 

Other apps will rotate but only 90 degrees.

Not finding anything specific with the K5, but did find some tech support recommendations for people having with their K4 to: 

• Try to clear the cache of that application.
  • Reboot the device
  • Test in Safe mode to determine if there's a third party app causing it. To boot into Safe mode, press the physical power key, touch and hold Power off, touch OK when Reboot to Safe mode appears.

Also, you might want to try following this YouTube video and see what built-in diagnostics are available on the phone:

DIALER APP/ dial:  ####1111#

• Like 1

Hi RichCor.   I started the phone in Safe mode as you suggested and when I restarted the phone my problem with typing was better but not 100%. I watched the video which you linked for me and it was, as so many youtube instructional videos are, far too fast for me to understand, so I had to keep pausing or going back to get the full gist. However, although it was informative, it related to the K5 PLUS and mine is a K5 NOTE. I then searched for a K5 Note keypad test but there wasn't one to be found, but on youtube I discovered another instructional video which suggested an app Touchscreen Repair, so I downloaded that and ran it. Result is that now my problem seems to be rectified to a large degree although I still sometimes get a gap after typing a letter "n". I'm reasonably happy with the situation at the moment and will do nothing further unless I get more similar problems.

Your suggestion of rotating the device was very good and when I used the phone in "landscape" orientation typing was just about flawless, so I believe that there may have been a problem with areas of the touchscreen, but hopefully now I can type reasonably well in "portrait" orientation. 

I was thinking overnight that I would take the phone back to the shop where I bought it and ask them to get it repaired under warranty, and at the same time perhaps look for a replacement.

This morning though, after a good mind clearing sleep and following your advice, hopefully I have saved some time and money, and my mind is clearer now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!