Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
jrmaanda

Help! Horrendous bureaucratic obstacle to driving

I am a British national with a French driving license living mostly in Thailand with a non-immigrant "O" visa.  For eighteen years I have driven in Thailand and other countries using a succession of IDPs obtained from France.  Now France has changed its system and won't give IDPs to non-resident foreigners. Britain won't give them to any non-residents, nor will it allow a non-resident British national to obtain a British driving license.  So how can I continue diving here or in other non-EU countries?  Please help if you can, as it's a huge disaster for me.

Just obey the Thai law about driving in Thailand and get a Thai driving license like you should have done many years ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

is you latest idp still valid, if so change it  for a Thai licence, should have been done years ago, if not valid try and change your french licence for a Thai one, if not then start the process for a Thai licence without a swop.

• Like 1

I often wonder why a lot of Farangs depend so much on an IDP.

If you want a Thai driving lucence why not just do the test like you did in your own country?

PS. Was up there yesterday getting my "new and improved" one.

Edited by dotpoom

Go get a Thai license. Helps to have someone to guide you as not much English but the process is straightforward. Prepare documents. Prepare pics. Then fill out forms, watch a video, take some simple tests and there you go. 

• Like 1

Use your foreign license and IDP to get a Thai DL.  

Renewed my British licence on line by giving my daughter's address in UK. No problem.

Get a Thai driving licence and when you go to an other country, most will allow you to use this licence for 2 or 3 months.

Can you get a Thai drivers license on a tourist visa? I never had one here since 2005 and just in the last 2 years they started to ask for one (in Chiang Mai).

Your French Driving License supported by an IDP has permitted you to drive for 90 days beyond which you were required to obtain a local license in Thailand.

For 18 years you've being doing it wrong.

You can use your French License and IDP to obtain a Thai License (if your IDP has not expired). The process is fairly simple, takes a few hours (perhaps half a day, commonly less, just an hour or two). 

*You will receive a 1 year (Temporary) Thai License, after which you will renew for a 5 year License. 

*The duration of license you receive may vary based changing regulations (but its still better than renewing an IDP every year and still being in breach of the regulations).

To obtain your Thai Drivers License (read the pinned thread !) you will need..

1) Affidafit of confirmation of Residence (from your embassy)

or Confirmation of Residence (address) from Thai Immigration.

2) Medical Certificate (from almost any hospital).

3) Home DL + IDP

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Yep. Get a Thai license with an IDP and problems solved.

No. With a IDP you can't get a Thai DL.