Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Floating trash off Pattaya's coast - watchdog blaming Thais as "sixth worst polluters" in the world

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

With a little more laziness LOS could become number 1.

Not to mention incompetence .. 

For many years I live in Thailand and many Thai people throw dirt on the ground and even at sea without shame and as a normal thing for them and unfortunately their children see and learn and will always be such an improvement. schools have a severe education to have a cleaner future, but I think this will not happen

There is trash were ever there is water. Or wherever there is a place to throw it. I well remember the clean up America theme in the 50's. The highways were trash bins in many states. After add campaigns like every litter bit hurts followed by stiff fines Americans made a huge contribution to keeping America beautiful. It took a couple of decades but it worked. Much like the endless attacks on smoking. It takes time to get the message through.  Remember in the 50's  " More doctors smoke Camel cigarettes than any other". The sooner Thailand tries some of the same tactics the sooner it will become cleaner. It has no chance of doing it my lifetime but they should at least start working on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

I live inland and four mtimes a week a moving markets sets up opposite my house the trash left behind by itys custgomers is horrendous , including plastic wrappings from meat sales.

AND YES THE CUSTOMERS ARE ALL THAIS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree. Thais are predominantly to blame for the Pattaya Sewer Coast. 

Am happy to post photos of "Thai only" (I've never seen a farang) picnic areas in beautiful national parks that are disgustingly littered with discarded food and drink containers/wrappings. They simply don't give a Sh!!t - pardon the pun. 

I wonder what the ranking would be for fly tipping on all of Thailand's land mass.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, twizzian said:

I wonder what the ranking would be for fly tipping on all of Thailand's land mass.

Number 1, I'm sure, but what really worries me is how long before the entire country sinks under the weight of all this detritus.

Edited by Ossy
grammar

8 hours ago, Lingba said:

only 6th?

But obviously shooting for the Top! Around Thailand--where do you find a trash can on the streets? New York City has them everywhere...

It's would helped if would buy plastic-bags at every shop ei. now it's plastic-bags at shops free. And so much wrapping goods and so little contains the goods in it.

Trash is a big problem in Pattaya but so is the lack of adequate trash cans. Most public trash cans are filled as soon as they are emptied by the garbage collectors. There just doesn't seem to be enough of them to keep up with demand.

I've walked around shopping malls for hours holding the tissue given to me when I bought an ice cream. Not a trash can in site.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silent said:

Not on their own doorstep

Sadly, that's not true. 

They litter their own and their neighbours doorsteps indiscriminately. Then they are the first to complain when tourists numbers drop off, scratching their heads and wondering why..... Blaming the bad weather or anything else, other than their own obvious lack of civic pride.

We drive past homes on our island that are piled high with junk and rubbish, that tourist are also subjected to when supposedly visiting the 'paradise' islands of Southern Thailand. We occassionally then drive a shortcut route on the mainland through a place of particular note, Lam Thap - North East of Krabi, where it is clear there is a sense of civic pride. The area is clean and tidy with well manicured frontages to their homes and businesses where few, if any, foreign visitors call into or even transit. Every time we travel this route I am bemused by the completely polar difference in attitudes of Thais towards their environment.

A campaign to highlight the negative impact of all this pollution on tourism, and hence their direct income, in a lot of places around Thailand may just hit home. That is, optimistically of course, assuming there is a measure of logical thought in the indigenous population. Hmmmm.