Thailand Forum
webfact

Floating trash off Pattaya's coast - watchdog blaming Thais as "sixth worst polluters" in the world

Jim walker    1,314

Soon have the submarines patrolling the beach area then lookout litter louts 

ftpjtm    72
6 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Personal pride and environmental cleanliness has nothing to do with the police. That has got to be a mindset....not a threat of getting caught.

The threat of getting caught helps build the mindset. 

At my business in the US we had some jerk dump a load of trash behind our building. He was stupid enough to have dumped some cartons with his name and address on them. I reported it to the police who coerced him to clean it all up to avoid charges. Problem solved, mindset built, under threat of prosecution under even handedly, fairly enforced laws. 

I can't imagine the same scenario occurring in Thailand, where the party with the largest brown envelope would prevail (if one was foolish enough to involve Thai police). 

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

Zack61    131
On 9/13/2017 at 10:31 AM, alfalfa19 said:

My thoughts exactly, also:  the powers that be in thailand must be highly disappointed in their low rating. 

I'm sure they will put a positive spin on it. If they even acknowledge the problem that is.

In the meantime......

SAY 'NO' TO PLASTIC

Maggusoil    1,095
19 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Personal pride and environmental cleanliness has nothing to do with the police. That has got to be a mindset....not a threat of getting caught.

Not so. When fines are imposed for polluting/ littering, "incentives" are set.  It takes time for the word to get around that it could be expensive and people change their habits.      If you wait for them to "change" their minds/ mindset you may as well forget it. 

• Like 2

Homburg    29
On 13/09/2017 at 2:04 AM, Pattaya28 said:

Law enforcement on the roads to reduce 75 deaths a day would be a good start.

Ocean law enforcement is a good idea but it won't happen.

And what about law enforcement of pumping raw sewage into the ocean ?

The ocean is getting polluted from all directions.

Are the boats dumping the crap in the ocean really going to bring their crap in with them ? when they can get away with easy option ?Not hard to see how the "mind-set" is.

What about the crap that's being dumped on the roadsides ? Is that being addressed ?

What is being addressed though, is the overhead signage in Walking Street.

There's money to be made from business owners over Walking Street signage.  No money to be made from any of the other issues. 

masuk    1,732
On 9/13/2017 at 10:31 AM, alfalfa19 said:

My thoughts exactly, also:  the powers that be in thailand must be highly disappointed in their low rating. 

Plastic bags, containers, wraps - anything! should never have been released until people knew what to do with used items.    Dropping everything into gutters, drains and the sea is the easy way out.

Governments have to be pro-active, supply bins, introduce recycling, and lighten the wallets of those who don't care.

• Like 2

Tofer    117
On 15 September 2017 at 5:17 AM, Homburg said:

There's money to be made from business owners over Walking Street signage.  No money to be made from any of the other issues. 

Lots of money to be made from fines OR expensive blindfolds on all the issues!

Either way. It can only be good for the potential improvement in traffic law compliance and educating litter louts.

Edited by Tofer
Add info