Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Hezbollah declares Syria victory, Russia says much of country won back

Morch    6,424
43 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Islamists came on the scene  early in 2012 or possibly even earlier.

The group [Jabhat al-Nusra], which has parallels with al-Qaeda, is the largest and most hardline of a score of jihadist organisations whose brutal methods – including beheadings – have shifted the dynamics of what had previously been a mostly moderate Sunni opposition.

The first attack for which Jabhat al-Nusra claimed responsibility came on Jan 6 this year – 10 months after the first anti-Assad protests began – when a suicide bomber blew up buses in the central Damascus district of Al-Midan that were carrying riot police to an anti-government protest. More than 26 people, mostly civilians, were killed.

Since then the use of suicide bombings or remotely detonated car bombs has dramatically increased, with Jabhat al-Nusra and other groups launching dozens of attacks against government positions each month. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9716545/Inside-Jabhat-al-Nusra-the-most-extreme-wing-of-Syrias-struggle.html

There were, back when, several articles linked including first hand accounts on how Islamic terrorists became more of a factor within the resistance to Assad's regime. Some of these accounts associated recent defeats suffered by anti-Assad forces (which, at the time were not enjoying all that much material support) and the following low moral, as the background.

These Islamic terrorists were more adept than civilian rebels or Syrian army deserters, when it came to fighting dirty within cities. They were also more ruthless, owing to their convictions. These things contributed to their appeal.

• Like 2

Morch    6,424
30 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Bang on, ....it was only officially acknowledged in 2012,  it took the US/UK a few years to work out how they would spin to the media the fact they were supplying ISIS with weapons and air support.

Not "bang on" at all. The article linked wasn't about ISIS.

• Like 1

Morch    6,424
13 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I would suggest the greatest motivation for militants heading for Iraq was the US invasion and the tens/hundreds of thousands civilians murdered in the process, the article seems to shy away from that fact and tries to blame Assad.

Professor Peter Neumann, the London-based expert on security and radicalisation, has detailed how Assad and his intelligence chiefs actively encouraged Syrian extremists to fight in Iraq after the 2003 invasion led by America. Their logic was many would die or disappear, while the insurgency would weaken Western resolve to topple despotic regimes (since many senior figures feared their nation might be next.) They even released Islamist prisoners and gave them military training. The result was Syria became the key entry point for foreign jihadists heading to Iraq and a hotbed for fundamentalists.

The logic in bold is sound if you consider the US aggression right on Assad's doorstep.

I would suggest that there is a difference between what you assert as "the greatest motivation"  and defining it as "fact". Amazing how many hoops some posters are willing to jump through.

• Like 1

onthesoi    959
15 minutes ago, Morch said:

Not "bang on" at all. The article linked wasn't about ISIS.

I wasn't referring to the article, I was referring to the fact that extremists were operating in Syria prior to 2012.

It should have been obvious from the post content I quoted:

No mention of the article or any links,

Just holler if you need more help using the internet.

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 2

onthesoi    959
18 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Assad had worked with terrorists for years.  Spot on.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n07/peter-neumann/suspects-into-collaborators

The US has been working with terrorists for even longer and in greater numbers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hughes/us-support-for-al-qaeda-l_b_10089410.html

----------

Your point is?

• Like 2

Morch    6,424
15 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I wasn't referring to the article, I was referring to the fact that extremists were operating in Syria prior to 2012.

It should have been obvious from the post content I quoted:

No mention of the article,

Just holler if you need more help using the internet.

The line in @ilostmypassword's post which you quoted appeared as it's part of the article. The line was referencing "Islamists", while the article dealt with Jabhat al-Nusra. Your post mentioned ISIS. ISIS wasn't present in Syria at the time, and was not directly armed by the US anyway.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

Morch    6,424
9 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I think your making stuff up now, I said:

I would suggest the greatest motivation for militants heading for Iraq was the US invasion

Where did I declare it as being fact?

It makes me laugh Morch, how you always rush for the strawman reply when you have nothing.

Here is what you posted:

I would suggest the greatest motivation for militants heading for Iraq was the US invasion and the tens/hundreds of thousands civilians murdered in the process, the article seems to shy away from that fact and tries to blame Assad.

manarak    4,228
1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Seems some of you are forgetting Assad released Islamists from his prisons at the beginning on the Syrian Arab Spring, as well as a long history of enabling Islamists to enter the war in Iraq and elsewhere. Good article covering these issues...

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/assad-fanned-the-flames-of-extremism-the-syrian-dictator-is-already-responsible-for-more-deaths-than-a6762361.html

this article is an opinion column ("voices"), not a factual article. It shouldn't be used to prove anything.

onthesoi    959
16 minutes ago, Morch said:

The line in @ilostmypassword's post which you quoted appeared as it's part of the article.

Maybe your device settings need adjusting, here is how the post looks to everyone else:

Capture.PNG.e73d16a6703a41a00bb1c5238b632a9d.PNG

• Like 1

Morch    6,424
Just now, onthesoi said:

Maybe your device settings need adjusting, here is how the post looks to everyone else:

Capture.PNG.e73d16a6703a41a00bb1c5238b632a9d.PNG

I was referring as to how the original post you quoted from appeared...

craigt3365    18,125
27 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

The US has been working with terrorists for even longer and in greater numbers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hughes/us-support-for-al-qaeda-l_b_10089410.html

----------

Your point is?

Ummm...this is about Syria, Hexbollah, Russia.  Amazing how far some get off topic.

Morch    6,424
5 minutes ago, manarak said:

this is a factual article in the NY Times that may shed some light on why Assad may have been forced to act the way he did:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/world/15aid.html

Other than being off topic, the article doesn't mention Syria. Even if  it did, there would be nothing in it that would support the assertion that Assad was "forced to act the way he did". 

craigt3365    18,125
7 minutes ago, Morch said:

I was referring as to how the original post you quoted from appeared...

More nitpicking. LOL.  Amazing how it derails the entire conversation.

• Like 1