Thailand Forum
David Walden

Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia

Evilbaz    509

Sorry to have to correct you again but having a TFN and paying tax is not sufficient to satisfy Centrelink rules for "residency" which are different to the ATO rules.

My ex was a senior Centrelink officer and made my life hell when getting the OAP and  to live in Thailand.

I studied and learnt every word of the Centrelink requirements - they are a law unto themself.

I suggest you do the same before posting erroneous information

They (and Medicare) know the moment you depart for overseas and return.

You can't "bluff" them on their "residency requirements.

Edited by Evilbaz

gaviny    5

YES Evilbaz , Centrelink , ATO share info and I'm sure you're correct , what gets me is for ATO purposes I'm now classified as a resident , registered on the electoral roll and just got my Medicare only 6 months ago.So what is the residency rule re Medicare.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Evilbaz    509

You have to dig deeply inside Medicare rules but basically if you are outside of Australia for more than five years, without returning, then to reclaim your suspended Medicare rights (which are automatically suspended every time you exit through international Border Control) you have to convince them you are now a permanent resident of Australia by their rules..

Evidence they may require includes that you have sold all overseas possessions, rescinded all leases, and established leases, motor cars etc in Australia.

There is no common definition of what determines residency between the ATO, Medicare or Centrelink - don't fall into the trap that if you satisfy one you have satisfied all of them.

So, schedule a return to OZ trip at least once every five years.

Edited by Evilbaz

gaviny    5
You have to dig deeply inside Medicare rules but basically if you are outside of Australia for more than five years, without returning, then to reclaim your suspended Medicare rights (which are automatically suspended every time you exit through international Border Control) you have to convince them you are now a permanent resident of Australia by their rules..
Evidence they may require includes that you have sold all overseas possessions, rescinded all leases, and established leases, motor cars etc in Australia.

There is no common definition of what determines residency between the ATO, Medicare or Centrelink - don't fall into the trap that if you satisfy one you have satisfied all of them.

So, schedule a return to OZ trip at least once every five years.

Thanks mate, there is no way I'd stay away from Oz for 5 years , I will be returning at least twice a year so that's fine.

David Walden    116
4 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

Sorry to have to correct you again but having a TFN and paying tax is not sufficient to satisfy Centrelink rules for "residency" which are different to the ATO rules.

My ex was a senior Centrelink officer and made my life hell when getting the OAP and  to live in Thailand.

I studied and learnt every word of the Centrelink requirements - they are a law unto themself.

I suggest you do the same before posting erroneous information

They (and Medicare) know the moment you depart for overseas and return.

You can't "bluff" them on their "residency requirements.

My information is not to convince anybody of anything, my suggestion is for people to gather as much information they can to establish that they are resident in Australia but absent and on holidays during the 2 years residency requirement period prior to your aged pension application, we all have a TFN anyway. e.g if you pay tax and claim it back that can help.  A holiday can sometimes extend for several years, you are just absent for the time being.  I am well aware that the ATO and Centrelink are 2 different Govt departments but they do have lots of cross references and no they are not a law unto themselves, that is why we have the AAT which is often clogged up with appeals regarding Centrelink refusals.  Many people give up even making an application  because of brownie point seeking Centrelink officers.  

And yes Just remember not to pass through immigration at 11pm at night to catch a 1am flight the next day thinking you are leaving Australia at the 1am flight departure time.  Legally you are departing Aus when you pass through immigration.  I had my pension stopped because I did not tell the truth I was not leaving a 1 am but  left at 11pm the previous day that's when I pass through.  Now of course if you are going overseas for less then six weeks you don't have to advise them anymore it will be automatic as you go through immigration.  Immigration is also linked to Centrelink.

I'm very impressed that you have (as stated) have learnt every word there is to know about Centrelink.  I think you must be the only person in the world who knows it all.

Edited by David Walden

David Walden    116
8 hours ago, gaviny said:

Thanks mate, there is no way I'd stay away from Oz for 5 years , I will be returning at least twice a year so that's fine.

Me too but much less then 5 years.  My air ticket Perth to BKK (Scoot).  Return trip to Perth via  train to KL and KL to Perth with AisAsia approx Aus $280 total  plus cheap hotel 2/3 star for 10 days.  Never travel in Aussie school holidays as air fare to KL or BKK in increases by  3 times.  Home for 2/3 months then back to Thailand.                                                                                                                                                   :partytime2:  

Edited by David Walden

Evilbaz    509

Once you actually live here and settle into the groove, doing yearly in country Extensions, time can pass by easily.

My last trip back to OZ was after 4years & 9 months absence.

gaviny    5
Once you actually live here and settle into the groove, doing yearly in country Extensions, time can pass by easily.
My last trip back to OZ was after 4years & 9 months absence.

Yes Mate, and the good thing about here in Sakeo , the last 3 times I've been the office , I was the only client there.My extension in January took no more than 20 minutes.