Thailand Forum
David Walden

Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia

SpokaneAl    1,372

I have no experience with obtaining a non imm multi entry o-a visa in Australia, but do get a new one each year in the USA. In order to get around your issue of having, what we call notarized, the notary signing each page, I create a cover letter that states that all the information is correct and true and have that single page notarized. The Thai Consulate in this neck of the woods has seemed happy with that solution.

SOUTHERNSTAR    2,393

Have you ever tried to apply for an Australian tourist visa as a citizen of a non OECD country which includes Thailand ?  If you have you will stop complaining. Plus if you wish to stay in Australian over a longterm you will need to be very very rich to buy your way in, while here you need a tip in Australian dollar terms. 

AboutThaim    22
3 hours ago, giddyup said:

If the money is not in a Thai bank it's meaningless. You could have a million bucks in the ANZ won't mean a thing to Thai immigration, and it doesn't mean you'll spend $1of it in Thailand either.  They are only interested in the 800,000 baht being in a Thai bank, but as someone pointed out, you prefer to go down the long and hard road, so any further comments here are superfluous.

Wrong!  I just went through this process for the second time after forgetting the re-entry permit when I left for Australia on the second year of an OA visa.  I have never had 800,000 baht in a Thai bank but was in the process of building up to the amount that was required with my pension as income included (about 300,000 baht).  That was as advised by the IO when I spoke to her about applying for extension when doing 90 day report.  The JP I went to in Qld had no complaints about signing the docs.  Fed. Police check online about $42, bulk billed for medical certificate.  I sent an email to the Canberra embassy about having the docs bound and the reply was “ just staple them together”.  I copied the email and sent it with the docs. My local Flight Centre had their courier take the docs and return the passport with the OA visa in less than a week.

David Walden    116
2 hours ago, giddyup said:

If the money is not in a Thai bank it's meaningless. You could have a million bucks in the ANZ won't mean a thing to Thai immigration, and it doesn't mean you'll spend $1of it in Thailand either.  They are only interested in the 800,000 baht being in a Thai bank, but as someone pointed out, you prefer to go down the long and hard roa.d, so any further comments here are superfluous.

Well yes ...Thailand has a procedure to allow people to apply for a "Thai Retirement Visa" in their home country.  It's really an  O-A multi Entry Visa.   The Royal Thai Embassy in Australia calls it a "Thai Retirement Visa".  You fill out an application form with the required details.  Get a police report, get a medical report,  you get a statement from your bank saying you have equal Bt $800.000 (adds up to Bt 65,000 P/M in a bank in Australia, not Thailand.  You tell them when you might arrive and where you are going to live (that can all change once you get the visa).  You can start the 12 month visa by arriving any time during the next 12 months after issue.  Yes you can get a "Thai Retirement Visa" in Australia up till 12 months before you make a move.  Don't even need to have been in Thailand...once you get the 6 pages application documents required you copy them 3 times to make 3 set of documents bound together, post these documents together with your passport and 3 photocopies to The Royal Thai Embassy Australia (Canberra) together with a return paid envelope and Aus $275 fee.  A total of 18 pages. All pages signed by a JP (not a CD).  A week or so later your Thai Retirement Visa will arrived with a new name "Non-immigrant O-A  M Thai Visa"

When all of these documents required are in order you find the JP and get him/her to sign every page (yes 18 pages).  A stat. dec. is not requested.  You have to beg a JP to sign all these pages.  A JPs duty is to witness that Stat decs or affidavits has been made in regard to any documents.  The requirement that these documents be signed by a JP has no more effect in law then any old bloke or lady signing it except where a legal declaration is evident (the stat dec.).  The JPs signature is only required to say he saw you sign your name on a stat. dec. but no one has requested me to sign anything except the original application form and that is not a stat dec. it's just a visa application information form..  "It's all to do about nothing".  To ask any one to place  their signature on any document other then a witness statement could be a crime.

Now again... you can have and I have just applied for and received a "Thai Retirement Visa" in Australia at the Royal Thai Embassy in Australia.  It is also on offer in most other Western Countries.  When you have done it once it's not so bad, you can do again if you're back in your home country.

The purpose of my post here is to point out that the procedure to getting this "Thai Retirement Visa" in Australia is really fairly simple once you know how to apply.   Its only complicated by Thai Immigration requesting unobtainable items.  Like the police report signed by the state police commissioner asking a JP to peruse his signature saying it's not false, no body adds anything to a Police Commissioner report, not anyone.  Or getting a JP to sign my doctors medical certificate to make sure the doctor is not telling lies.  In Australia this action by a JP could be identified that the JP has added to the document and that would be a crime.  A stat. dec is usually a full page  separate document witnessed by a JP attesting that he/her did see you sign the document in question and that your statement is true under oath.  It's all to do about nothing.

Yes it's all just to frivolous :sorry:

David Walden    116
23 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

Wrong!  I just went through this process for the second time after forgetting the re-entry permit when I left for Australia on the second year of an OA visa.  I have never had 800,000 baht in a Thai bank but was in the process of building up to the amount that was required with my pension as income included (about 300,000 baht).  That was as advised by the IO when I spoke to her about applying for extension when doing 90 day report.  The JP I went to in Qld had no complaints about signing the docs.  Fed. Police check online about $42, bulk billed for medical certificate.  I sent an email to the Canberra embassy about having the docs bound and the reply was “ just staple them together”.  I copied the email and sent it with the docs. My local Flight Centre had their courier take the docs and return the passport with the OA visa in less than a week.

Mums the word about doctors bulk billing for medical certificates under Medicare Aus.  You have to pay for these, if the doctor bulk bills it to medicare that's a crime.  The doctor usually bill it as treatment for a bad back or similar.

giddyup    7,051
1 hour ago, AboutThaim said:

Don't see anything there to contradict what I said. 

Edited by giddyup

gaviny    5

Thailand immigration rules are so farcical, two example are the 24 hours deadline to report
arrival to your residence and the 800000baht in a Thai Bank.
As Ubonjoe has stated even though someone has arrived in Thailand , you only report to where you reside, my question is how on earth do they know when you finally arrive at your residence after spending time elsewhere in Thailand?
Secondly , why is 800000baht in an overseas account irrelevant , the 65000baht required monthly could be acessed from that very account.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

AboutThaim    22
9 hours ago, David Walden said:

Mums the word about doctors bulk billing for medical certificates under Medicare Aus.  You have to pay for these, if the doctor bulk bills it to medicare that's a crime.  The doctor usually bill it as treatment for a bad back or similar.

I was seeing the doc about medical matters at the time and had him fill it out during a legit consultation.

• Thanks 1

AboutThaim    22
8 hours ago, giddyup said:

Don't see anything there to contradict what I said. 

Well I guess I didn't spell it out but you said a million dollars in an Australian bank would be meaningless to Thai immigration.  I had (a tad) less than that in my Australian bank both times I applied for the OA visa.  In fact I used the combination rule to get over the 800,000 baht line.  I think that contradicts your “meaningless” statement.

David Walden    116
13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Mate in my honest opinion you went the wrong way about it, open a Thai bank account when you are over here, join BahtSmart, they do transfers, don't charge, and give a good rate. The process is easy, and you can transfer the 800,000 3 months prior to your renewal date, I do 4 months before.

Sure leave your money in Oz as I do, but a smart move is to open an account here, to use daily to survive.

You have a lot to learn, if your willing to, or keep going your way and enjoy the stress.

Either ways, good luck, the fella's here on TVF live here and have 1st hand knowledge and experience to share, if your willing to 'accept' what you hear.

4MyEgo...Your advice so far I believe is the best...After me studying up ALL  about getting a "Thai Retirement Visas" in Thailand or Australia and  it now!! being at it for 5 years I can celebrate some success.:post-4641-1156694572:

My reason for engaging in this post is like an old clique I like to use  "I wrote you a 5 page letter because I didn't have time to write you a 1 page letter?"  Thailand simply needs get its act together and make it easy for all visa recipients to succeed without all the unnecessary and complicated delays.  

I have found that in the circles I mix with in Thailand the most common way to get a "Thai Retirement Visa" is to pay a corrupt legal firm or other persons who can make it all happen (usually 3/4 days) all for a nice donation of Bt 30,000 or Bt15,000 for a renewal (mostly for those who do not have the required funds).  I just wanted to do it all legal and above board.  I'd  like to Thai Immigration get rid of all the  

RED TAPE and FRIVOLOUS FRIVOLITY

oLOS FRIVOLITY 

giddyup    7,051

Thailand simply needs get its act together and make it easy for all visa recipients to succeed without all the unnecessary and complicated delays.  

It is easy, thousands of expats here proves it, you just complicated it for yourself.

• Like 1

wgdanson    530
6 hours ago, gaviny said:

Thailand immigration rules are so farcical, two example are the 24 hours deadline to report
arrival to your residence and the 800000baht in a Thai Bank.
As Ubonjoe has stated even though someone has arrived in Thailand , you only report to where you reside, my question is how on earth do they know when you finally arrive at your residence after spending time elsewhere in Thailand?
Secondly , why is 800000baht in an overseas account irrelevant , the 65000baht required monthly could be acessed from that very account.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The hotels are supposed to say where you are until you get 'home'.

Just move some of your 800,000 to another of your accounts on 1st of every month, 65,000 BHts worth. And move it back on say 20th. The Consulate letter is only interested in INCOME not what goes out.

Edited by wgdanson

David Walden    116
18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thailand simply needs get its act together and make it easy for all visa recipients to succeed without all the unnecessary and complicated delays.  

It is easy, thousands of expats here proves it, you just complicated it for yourself.

I' m the first to agree but it is time for Thailand to stop leading people up the garden path no nowhere.

giddyup    7,051

Thailand immigration rules are so farcical

Perhaps you might look at what is required by Australian immigration so you can remain in Australia indefinitely. It will make Thai immigration look like a walk in the park. There is no point bitching about it, it's their country, they decide what conditions have to be met.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

giddyup    7,051
Just now, David Walden said:

I' m the first to agree but it is time for Thailand to stop leading people up the garden path no nowhere.

It seems this has only happened to you. As I said there are thousands of expats living in Thailand who all navigated the simple process of obtaining a retirement visa without any problems. You admit yourself that you f*cked up your first attempt to get the visa, and now you want to blame Thailand for your problems. Consider yourself lucky that they allow you to live here at all, and that you don't have to jump through the hoops that they would make you do if it was the reverse, moving from Thailand to Australia.