Thailand Forum
webfact

Thai Cabinet give green light to new alcohol, cigarette tax rates

IAMHERE    1,151

Simply a way of taxing farangs. Arch for 40 baht gets taxed 'x' amount. Heineken for 80 baht gets taxed '2x' amount. So who do you suppose drinks the '2x' taxed beer ?  Wine or whiskey that is 4 times the cost of a bottle of '285' gets taxed 4 times more; who do you supposed drinks foreign made wine/whiskey? Just  a new way of getting more tax burden unto the farang.

Andrew65    898

That'll put a pack of Marlboro Lights at 155 Baht, they were 33 Baht when I got here in '98!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andrew65    898
32 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Simply a way of taxing farangs. Arch for 40 baht gets taxed 'x' amount. Heineken for 80 baht gets taxed '2x' amount. So who do you suppose drinks the '2x' taxed beer ?  Wine or whiskey that is 4 times the cost of a bottle of '285' gets taxed 4 times more; who do you supposed drinks foreign made wine/whiskey? Just  a new way of getting more tax burden unto the farang.

Yes, but wealthy Thais like imported spirits also.

Then again, indirect taxes like these tend to hit the poorest harder than income tax. For example, 50 cents on a man who has a $100 is a bigger proportion of his wealth than 50 cents on a man who has a million. Whereas income tax rates tend to be set according to earnings.

• Like 1

overherebc    4,295
15 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

That'll put a pack of Marlboro Lights at 155 Baht, they were 33 Baht when I got here in '98!

If I had to be honest as a smoker it would suit me if they put 200 baht on a packet.

Being a tight fisted Jock it would give me a better chance of kicking the habit.

10 baht on a beer? no worries.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wilsonandson    3,787

Well I changed brand to LM red about 5 years ago and that's 90 baht a pack. Soon to be 120 baht a pack. Will it stop me smoking more? The answer probably will. But I count my lucky stars I'm not in the U.K. It's over £10 a pack there now, that's 50 pence for one ciggie. Nope it was going to happen sooner or later, so just grin and bare it.

wakeupplease    1,843

I do not buy the stuff as all it does to me is give me wind, but a friend said on a visit from the UK he thought it was expensive to have a drink here and the quality was a bit naff, back home he said he goes to one of the supermarkets and buys cheaper quality beer like Bud in the UK, that must upset a few who came for the cheaper living.

Red wine I can drink a little of as it also gets the wind blowing but at the prices here on import and quality that does not happen often.

Cigs Up average of 30 baht per standard pack

10% of the average daily pay then and b4 you say thats good just think of the extra tax it brings in therefor cancels out any heath costs  as an insurance policy would not cost the tax gained on a packet per day.

Tea and Coffee, for god sake leave that alone please.

Wilsonandson    3,787
I do not buy the stuff as all it does to me is give me wind, but a friend said on a visit from the UK he thought it was expensive to have a drink here and the quality was a bit naff, back home he said he goes to one of the supermarkets and buys cheaper quality beer like Bud in the UK, that must upset a few who came for the cheaper living.  

Red wine I can drink a little of as it also gets the wind blowing but at the prices here on import and quality that does not happen often.

Cigs Up average of 30 baht per standard pack

10% of the average daily pay then and b4 you say thats good just think of the extra tax it brings in therefor cancels out any heath costs  as an insurance policy would not cost the tax gained on a packet per day.

Tea and Coffee, for god sake leave that alone please.

Tea should be okay as it's mostly sold separate, but coffee 3 in 1 might go up due to the sugar content.

It's the massage tax that I'm puzzled about. Is that happy ending massage in Huay Kwang, Ratchada, Suthisarn road or is it all tradditional massage services nationally. Why is having a massage bad for you?

I get it if it's for happy ending massage then yes that's a sin tax, but not a full body massage with oils or hot pebbles laid on your back, or covered in mud and cucumbers in you eyes. My missus will be upset if that is taxed. She loves a good massage. Me I just enjoy a beer and a ciggie.

tryasimight    511
4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

oh dear............Thais and farang alike will be taxed the same should they choose to purchase the product.

If they really wanted to tax the farang there are much easier ways of doing it.

Your 800,000 retirement extension funds are now paid directly to the government, for instance, for permission to stay for one year. The cough up another 800,000 for the next year.

Yes I know it is ridiculous...the same as alluding that this is a farang tax.

HHTel    292

If the suspicions prove to be valid, then a large Singha or Chang will be cheaper in the UK.  Large Singha is 2 quid or less in the major supermarkets!

• Like 1

Aussieroaming    1,629

Unfortunately tax increases are being used to control consumption. Thailand is fast becoming highly regulated at consumers expense. 

Cadbury.

While reading your comment, I became confused.  You use the word "RORTING" which taken from the word RORT,  means either the participation in a rowdy party or some such celebration, a dishonest scheme (both of which are the noun forms of rort), or to take unfair advantage of something (which is the verb form).  Can you clarify which one you mean then I should be able to understand better what you are talking about?  Thank you.

TheLobster    758

I did a visa run last week and bought Marlboro at 72THB/packet. So in Thailand currently there is already 50+THB tax which will be much more than 80+THB tax then as these guys tend to target 'farang' brands for the highest tax rates and less for the brands that the Thais smoke.

Felt 35    320

"Thai Cabinet give green light to new alcohol, cigarette tax rates"

hmm...more people die from Road accidents annually and gasoline is cheap as peanuts and who are most likely to smoke of the citizens and where a cigarette is likely all the pleasure they can afford, most likely they with least income, no hope of better their life and education:sad: 

ksamuiguy    504

The smugglers are the ones who will profit. I seem to remember a few years back that cigarettes where the number one item smuggled in to U.K..