Thailand Forum
RobFord

I've decided I should pick up some Thai language skills.

RobFord    449

So, I'm tired of not having a clue what's going on around me and would like to learn a little Thai. Actually I would like to learn a lot of Thai, but realize that's never going to happen.

Can anyone recommend Thai language classes in Chiang Mai? I'd like to be able to pick up every second word. I'm looking for zero pressure, and zero testing. Conversational Thai, I could care less if they understand me, but would like to understand them.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

tifino    1,342

do you really, really want to know why the falang word is voiced how many umpteen times in 100 seconds? :partytime2:

Dante99    1,775

AUA used to offer courses, also YMCA.  Wherever you end up, good luck.  You have made a good decision, stick with it, Thai is not as difficult to learn as many think.

• Like 1

Nick ZepTepi    109

Try phone apps first, it's easy to pick up enough phrases and numbers to do basic shopping and politeness.

Then start paying for more conversational skills, you'll get more value for money from it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

RobFord    449
AUA used to offer courses, also YMCA.  Wherever you end up, good luck.  You have made a good decision, stick with it, Thai is not as difficult to learn as many think.

I've no interested in being tested. I'm slow. Any recommendations?

FolkGuitar    3,956

I took AUA classes. There were no tests in these classes. AUA offers several 'levels' of instruction, so perhaps in the immersion-type classes tests are given. We were in conversation classes, and it was all fun and games.

• Like 1

Dante99    1,775
19 minutes ago, RobFord said:

I've no interested in being tested. I'm slow. Any recommendations?

If AUA does not work, see Folk Guitar's comment above, a private teacher which AUA might be able to arrange.

RobFord    449
I took AUA classes. There were no tests in these classes. AUA offers several 'levels' of instruction, so perhaps in the immersion-type classes tests are given. We were in conversation classes, and it was all fun and games.

I know the way this old brain works now. I'm likely to understand, but parrot it back, forget about it.

I just want to soak it up and parrot it back with everyone else. Can't bare to embarrass myself. I know, false pride.

• Haha 1

Samui Bodoh    2,505

Hello Mr Mayor!

I would suggest you find any school that does introductory classes for conversation. The great advantage is that everyone is just as bad as you are, so it is not too embarrassing. The truth is that you'll pick up a lot more from your fellow school mates than you will from the teacher. It is a great way to get some of the very basics.

After that, you should be able to find a cheap, freelance teacher for private lessons.

Worked for me!

Good luck and good decision.

• Like 1

naboo    1,876

3rd floor of Panthip Plaza.

Do the introductory course again and again and again, until you're comfortable with it. Then move onto the next level. The courses are cheap as chips if you don't want the visa (not sure they still offer the visa), and its pretty laid back.

• Like 1