Thailand Forum
RobFord

I've decided I should pick up some Thai language skills.

Damrongsak    407
30 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I also like "How do you eat an entire elephant? The answer is one bite at a time.

If the question is asked in Thai, the answer would be "with lao cao and lots of hot sauce.

EricTh    87
2 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

I don't mean to quibble, but, well, accordion to that, Arabic, Chinese and Japanese are harder than Thai, and about 40 are equally ranked.

I've tangled with Japanese, and I don't find it that difficult, unless you count the three different systems of writing.

Perhaps it boils down to the fact that every language is difficult in its own way.

Paul at LangFocus has some perspectives on this:

http://langfocus.com/language-features/what-is-the-easiest-language-to-learn-for-english-speakers/

Although he hasn't done any feature videos on Thai yet...

That ranking includes ability to read and speak the language and not just to speak.

Japanese has no tones so it is easier to speak and it doesn't have as many difficult vowels as Thai.

If the ranking is just based on spoken language alone, Japanese would be easier than both Thai and Chinese.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Ulysses G.    25,570
7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Japanese has no tones so it is easier to speak and it doesn't have as many difficult vowels as Thai.

If the ranking is just based on spoken language alone, Japanese would be easier than both Thai and Chinese.

I have been told that initially Japanese is easier, but more difficult than Thai after the remedial lessons. A little bit, to get around, really is easy to pick up though.

EricTh    87

By the way, I was at Bangkok Bank in Kad Suan Kaew yesterday.

Lo and behold, suddenly an older guy with an American accent shouted loudly at the counter staff for NOT understanding his English.

This is what he said 'Nobody here seems to understand any English, I said PAY IN'.

The poor girl at the counter was shaken with fear and didn't dare to look at him in the face.

In the first place, this is NOT America so he shouldn't expect people to know English well.

That would be like someone going to America and shout at Americans for NOT knowing Chinese.

He should learn to speak Thai well instead and most importantly how to behave in a civilized manner.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 2

XGM    13
10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

He should learn to speak Thai well instead and most importantly how to behave in a civilized manner.

He should behave, yes, but maybe better he sticks to his English rather than try to say "pay in" or "deposit" in Thai. The word is "Faak".

Edited by XGM

amexpat    971
1 hour ago, EricTh said:

In the first place, this is NOT America so he shouldn't expect people to know English well.

That would be like someone going to America and shout at Americans for NOT knowing Chinese.

Heavy, man.  Deep thoughts.

• Haha 2

rijb    4,043
4 hours ago, EricTh said:

American accent

Brooklyn, West Virginia, Texas, or Maine accent?  What kind of gun was he wearing?

• Haha 1

Ruffian Dick    198
7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

In 75 years I have never heard an American say "Pay In" when they wanted to make a deposit.

You and me both, cowboy. That ain't right.

scottiejohn    1,088
On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, XGM said:

The word is "Faak".

He was "f**ked" if he could remember the correct word or phrase!

(try saying "Faak" in an Irish accent!)

And I thought it was only the English who shouted out loud to foreigners to make themselves better understood in a foreign country. 

(back in England they would just mutter "Tut Tut" to the offended 3rd party and loudly exclaim to any other English person in earshot "dammed foreigners shouldn't come here if they can't speak the proper Queen's English - Bah - Humbug!!

Edited by scottiejohn
'

Trujillo    925

Intensive Thai Program at Payap University

First two month learn the basics using Romanization. Third month learn the Thai alphabet and phonetics. After that, putting it all together. 

Do the homework, come to class, stick with it and you will be on your way. 

Unless you are a real self-motivator, one-to-one (or online) studies do not work. 

Dante99    1,775
1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Thread starter isn't looking for an intensive program.

And we are not looking for another mod.