Thailand Forum
jazcm

Compatible Nespresso pods/capsules

jazcm    6

Searched high and low in Chiang Mai and can't find any either genuine Nespresso or compatible pods for my machine :( 

Please don't tell me this true. Not too keen on the mail order thing if I can avoid it. Here's hoping.

CMKiwi    1,183

I've heard of people recycling the pods by making a slit and putting new grounds in.

• Like 1

trd    645

Isn't this machine very expensive to run compared with buying ground coffee and putting it in a filter machine as I do. I'm genuinely interested.

naboo    1,876
20 minutes ago, trd said:

Isn't this machine very expensive to run compared with buying ground coffee and putting it in a filter machine as I do. I'm genuinely interested.

Yes. And the pod machines make very poor coffee.

There are many varieties of coffee pod available in Thailand. If your palette is unrefined and you find you are into the slurp these machines produce, see Google for boncafe/take-5 or Lazada for Nespresso.

Thankfully, we have an excellent choice of locally produced coffee. Pop into Hilkoff for the starter set of good coffee and equipment to brew it at multiple price points. Then have a look further, the variety in coffee here at under 300B/lb or half kilo is better than anywhere in Asia and gives South America a run for its money now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

richard_smith237    6,334
27 minutes ago, naboo said:

There are many varieties of coffee pod available in Thailand. If your palette is unrefined and you find you are into the slurp these machines produce, see Google for boncafe/take-5 or Lazada for Nespresso.

Thankfully, we have an excellent choice of locally produced coffee. Pop into Hilkoff for the starter set of good coffee and equipment to brew it at multiple price points. Then have a look further, the variety in coffee here at under 300B/lb or half kilo is better than anywhere in Asia and gives South America a run for its money now.

I've been using Nespresso for numerous years and find it excellent coffee.

However, I'm starting to take note of posts such as above and starting to wonder what is so good about this 'locally produced' coffee that makes it so much better than the coffee I make in the morning with a simple press of a button... 

Obviously I don't want to or have time to roast my own beans, I don't want to be messing around with constantly cleaning an espresso machine...

So, my question is, what viable options are there ? - what would you recommend ? I would love to be proven wrong on Nespresso as I find it expensive.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

scubascuba3    732

I've stopped using my Nespresso in the UK, i used to go to the Regent Street shop and buy the pods but the novelty has worn off, they are just not worth the price, i tried cheaper alternative pods but they were nothing special so i stopped altogether.

naboo    1,876
27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've been using Nespresso for numerous years and find it excellent coffee.

However, I'm starting to take note of posts such as above and starting to wonder what is so good about this 'locally produced' coffee that makes it so much better than the coffee I make in the morning with a simple press of a button... 

Obviously I don't want to or have time to roast my own beans, I don't want to be messing around with constantly cleaning an espresso machine...

So, my question is, what viable options are there ? - what would you recommend ? I would love to be proven wrong on Nespresso as I find it expensive.

I've never roasted my own beans. I've ground my own beans, but find the effort isn't worth it, I get through half a kilo fast enough for it not to go off and Hilkoff grind it to your specification when you purchase it.

Coffee machines, the more you pay, the better. I paid 12,000B 6 years ago, that's 170B/month and falling, still going strong. I've had the seals repaired, by Hilkoff, once in that time for a couple of hundred baht. However, you can get great results from a percolator and Hilkoff have several - avoid the aluminium ones, takes a couple of months to get rid of the aluminium flavour. I can't find it on the website, but if you go into their shop closest to Changpuek bus station, turn right, down the slope and the first or second aisle on the left, there are a selection of percolators there. They have some that sit on a gas/electric hob, and some with a built in electric heating unit (I've never tried the latter, but they caught my attention as an option for my office). These are only a couple of thousand baht and produce results that no drip/pod machine could come close to.

• Like 1

Ruffian Dick    198
1 hour ago, naboo said:

Excellent point!!

trd    645

I only drink Douwe Egberts which I buy from Makro.

naboo    1,876
11 minutes ago, trd said:
2 hours ago, naboo said:

I only drink Douwe Egberts which I buy from Makro.

That's wonderful. You know what you like, and you like what you know.

flare    237

I like the coffe pod machines for convenience (zero mess, and I've got my cup in a couple minutes), and some of the Nescafé blends aren't bad (Lungo, Grande Intenso, etc- it woul ,be nice if they brought one of the lighter blends into LOS, though).  If you make a regular monthly coffee order, you ca get a free machine (normally ~3K) from Nescafé Dolce Gusto Thailand.  I'm not much of a 'coffee snob', however...;)

nescafe-dolce-gusto-10.jpg

Bill97    480

I've never roasted my own beans. I've ground my own beans, but find the effort isn't worth it, I get through half a kilo fast enough for it not to go off and Hilkoff grind it to your specification when you purchase it.

Coffee machines, the more you pay, the better. I paid 12,000B 6 years ago, that's 170B/month and falling, still going strong. I've had the seals repaired, by Hilkoff, once in that time for a couple of hundred baht. However, you can get great results from a percolator and Hilkoff have several - avoid the aluminium ones, takes a couple of months to get rid of the aluminium flavour. I can't find it on the website, but if you go into their shop closest to Changpuek bus station, turn right, down the slope and the first or second aisle on the left, there are a selection of percolators there. They have some that sit on a gas/electric hob, and some with a built in electric heating unit (I've never tried the latter, but they caught my attention as an option for my office). These are only a couple of thousand baht and produce results that no drip/pod machine could come close to.

Think you cAn find stainless, much better than aluminum.

Greenside    796

Visit the new and wonderful Hilkoff location next to the big Amway building on the left as you head out of town on Mahidol Road.  It's the nearest thing to coffee heaven outside of Bangkok (maybe even in SEA) and they have everything from very simple percolators to giant industrial roasters.