Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Before and after - artist's impression of the future of Walking Street!

thaibeachlovers    9,472
43 minutes ago, garvon said:

Why on earth did you come here then if you hate it so furiously? Your reply will be interesting.

That's a strange thing to say. W S is entirely missable if one prefers golf.

I lived there for a year and rarely went, though now I wish I had gone more often.

In fact, unless one wants to go there, the entire strip is invisible to one living even not far away. It is possible to walk from the north end to the Royal Garden mall and never see a bar or gogo unless looking for one.

• Like 1

bikerbri    138
4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

The government should remember what happened in Singapore when they tore Boogie Street down, the powers that be in Singapore realised it was a mistake and rebuilt Boogie Street but it was never the same.....There is a lesson there!!!

I remember it well. Next to Wanchai in Hong Kong one of the best runs ashore in South East Asia.

Edited by bikerbri

Yann55    1,944

Sadly, the 'after' rendition is in the same spirit as the newly 'renovated' part of Dongtan Beach, ie NO SPIRIT at all.

It is cold, ugly, and soulless. An Orwellian world of depressing concrete  fit only for hubots (this is a reference to a Swedish series called Real Humans, which features robots that look exactlly like humans, brrrrrr).

It gives me the creeps. What on earth is the matter with the Pattaya authorities these days ? Have they lost their senses ?

And it's not like they never had any, because there were other projects, in the past, which were okay : what was done on Pratumnak hill several years ago wasn't half bad, and the first remodelling of Dongtan Beach was rather nice too. Of course, in both cases, there never was the least bit of maintenance after completion, so that both places quickly started to disintegrate, due to the extraordinary propensity of Thais to savagely deface public property in record time (a subconscious statement against all the corruption involved, I guess).

What these punks don't destroy is quickly ruined by monsoon rains ... the actual construction being done at minimal cost, so that a long string of middlemen can line their pockets. Which, of course, is the first and foremost purpose of all these projects, anyway. :saai:

Edited by Yann55
  • Thanks 1

dunroaming    3,366
2 hours ago, SGD said:

You don't need to destroy Walking Street just to have another street with a market selling crap and tourist tat do you ?

Chiang Mai night market is part of the listed attractions of the city.  Draws a lot of tourists in the high season.  Plenty of tat there, mainly fake labels but it is there for people who want to buy that sort of thing.  Walking Street is for different punters but does attract some tourist voyeurs along with the sex punters.  A bit like Patpong in Bangkok.  However I still think that in Thailand it is horses for courses and in Pattaya sleaze is the big draw as much as fake labels are a draw in Chiang Mai. 

• Thanks 1

morrobay    562
11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't expect the authorities to learn anything. They keep on making the same mistakes, over and over.

I wonder if that pic of the "new" became reality, would they admit their mistake. I think not.

As long as the Chinese and Thais  keep coming "they" are happy with their mistakes: Pattaya Beach walk/rd, Jomtien/Dongtan mess. And the fact that the non Asians complain and criticize is most likely a plus as far as "they" are concerned. The transforming will result in fewer non Asians by design

thaibeachlovers    9,472
15 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

And the girls of the future? 

They All married?

Only to "male" sex robots. Men will all have girl sex robots- hoorah. Pity I'll miss it.

• Haha 1

Thechook    9,392
26 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

And the girls of the future? 

They All married?

They may have to get a job

• Like 1

sawadee1947    908

I like the ideas. Finally it will be a street where to meet each other and have some fish and chips with vinegar and a pint of fresh milk.

wvavin    811

Brilliant idea by this government so please go ahead with this plan. We could not wait to see this transformation.

johnny49r    42

Before: 

Crowds of tourists, good revenue for locals.

After:

Where is everybody? No more bling bling for the locals.

It may be sleazy but it is why the majority of tourists flock here. 

• Thanks 1