Thailand Forum
sirineou

Coast of build this home?

sirineou    4,265

Will be retiring in Thailand in a couple of years, looking to start building soon in property me and my wife own ( I know about Thai ownership laws).

I have talked to a couple of builders and I am getting what i consider high quotes for the plan we have. I have not lived long term in Thailand for about five years (had to go back to work in US) so I am out of touch with price changes . I would appreciate any input and or recommendations.

I am looking for midle of the road quality, with Supperblock on the outside walls, don't care if interior walls are red brick. 

Below is the plan , and below the plan I will note any changes we propose.

Home narrow land.

The buddha room, (small room in living room) will be deleted,  The bathroom in master bedroom will be deleted and moved downstairs,  the read stairs will be deleted, the small rear balcony will be deleted, and the room squared off. The home will be made one meter longer, leaving all the rooms the same size but making the front balcony one meter longer (front to back).

CPAC Monier roof.

hipolehome01.jpg

Downstairs where the closet is, we will build a bathroom instead. and under the front stairs , half under the stairs half outside in the front a small fish pond.

Basically the home at the YouTube video below, without the  extra kitchen below.

Please no comments concerning the virtues of renting VS owning, or Thailand foreigner ownership laws.I have being married to my wonderful Thai wife over 10 years,  together longer, and coming to Thailand even longer.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Jip99    4,623

Better than any dowry.

what quotes have you received? Those with building experience will then be able to comment.

sirineou    4,265

As you can see living space is about 100 sq M, but it has a lot more of work and material than a conventional , flat on the ground build,  including a very large area downstairs that is tiled.

as I am typing this , The builder I liked the best, whose work I visited in Two different location and looked at  one finished home, and I was very impressed with the finish. ( I work in the highrise construction industry in NYC over 30 years and have extensive experience)

Just called me with a quote of 1million seven hundred, I buy the countertops.

What you all think?

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Alantct    30

Hi, I would be happy to price that for you. I will drop you a pm.
Regards
Al.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ron19
Unauthorized advertising.

steven100    5,751

That's about 17,000 baht / sqm ...  and that's living space as in the down stairs tiled installation is included.  So the 1.7m is about the rate.

5-10 years ago it would have been around 12-14,000 / sqm but things are alot more expensive now so hence the increase.

• Like 1

Andyfez    188

Have you ever lived here?

The house you show is all very nice by western standards, but with the constant heat do you really want it to be so un-open plan?

The rooms look so small and box-like......

I remember I designed (and built) one or two rooms like this in our house 20 years ago.

We never used the rooms because they were so small and stifling.

Just my two-penny worth.....

• Like 2

Jeffrey346    438
15 minutes ago, markeewan said:

Here is a link to Bangkok prices

I find your chart much more realistic then the prices quoted above. My wife's uncle just built a new 120 sqm house, for 1.2M. All walls are insulated concrete, bathrooms and tiles are #1. I was impressed with the builders work. And he finished on time...

• Like 1

lucjoker    613

10 y with your wife ......that is normal.....they can wait 20 years for a house.

But ones the house is finished AND in their name.........

btw i did build 12 houses and 1,7 milj bht is a good price for a house like that.The builder will like it, it is very old style and the termites gone love your wood.Sorry i like a joke ....no serious now: it is a very nice house and your wife and family will  love you,but...keep the buddha -room.....maybe you will need it .

• Like 1

Denim    2,280

By the time you have added fixtures and fittings , air con , insulation etc , you can expect to spend about

2 million baht give or take a few hundred thou.

Your design is similar to our own build which came in at 850,000 baht before fixtures etc. It is 12.5 meters x 6.5. This was three years ago.

Getting a quality builder is obviously vital. Ours was not a quality builder but was at least better than some others in our area.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

sandyf    1,403

This is the plan I used. About the same size but a bungalow, cost around 1M 7 years ago.

plan_corr[1].jpg

ajcnx    2

If you are giving a contract to some builder it will be something in between 8000-10000 baht/sqm. it includes everything from zero to full finished project.

if you are doing it of your own like just paying for the construction cost and buying your own raw material you will be paying around 6500-8000 baht/sqm . it will be a hassle for few months but you will be more satisfied as you bought everything by yourself. this price does not include surroundings and fence wall or outer gates . giving a contract for the whole thing you can negotiate few things as for your parking space or garden it depends. 

• Like 1

pumpjack    327
2 hours ago, generealty said:

I am in the construction industry and think 1.7mill is a fair price in today's market. It is not as cheap as it was and everything has gone up especially steel and cement being the two largest items in construction.

I always ask what standard do you want. 3 prices, cheap, reasonable and high end.

Cheap = 1.4mill

Reasonable = 1.5mill

High End = 1.7mill

yes this seems like a decent quote.   

i built a hi end bungalow in isaan 7 years ago for 460.000 baht and that included labour costs and furniture !   

buy all the material yourself ,  do not trust the thais !

do not pay all at once, pay installments in every 4 weeks or so.

do not build on land near her family home if you dont want screaming kids and nosy neighbours coming in uninvited

be prepared to walk away from it as its never yours and what if she throws you out ....nothing is guaranteed and everything is a sr=trong possibilty of future failure ! 

• Like 2