rooster59

Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

By The Nation

d2a6443c9a984581198b15c26e36d08b.jpeg

New excise tax rates effective starting Saturday, September 16, hit alcoholic beverages hard.

The rates, published in the Royal Gazette, adjust the tax rate for beer to 22 per cent of retail price and Bt430 per liter of alcoholic content

For wine made from grapes ,the tax rate is Bt1,500 per litre of alcoholic content for a wine bottle not exceeding Bt1,000.

Wine priced higher than Bt1,000 will be taxed at 20 per cent of its price and Bt1,500 per liter of alcoholic content.

The rate for wine made from grapes mixed with other fruits is 10 per cent of the price and Bt150 per litre of alcoholic content. These rates are effective from now onwards.

The white spirit tax rate is 2 per cent of retail price and Bt155 per litre of alcoholic content, while for other kinds of spirits the rate is 20 per cent of retail price and Bt255 per litre of alcoholic content 

The tax rate for cigarette is 20 per cent of retail price for a pack not exceeding Bt60 and Bt1.20 per roll. 

The rate goes up to 40 per cent for a cigarette pack priced more than Bt60. It is effective from September 16, 2017, until September 30 ,2019.

And the rate for cigars is 10 per cent of price and Bt1.2 per gram effective Saturday.

Source: Excise Department

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326850

3 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

What were the previous rates?  

Dont really matter, those rates were rolled in to the retail price and these news taxes are on top of that.

• Like 2

As I understand this is just the start. In the next 20 year they will increase it to arrive at 3000 thb for 1 lit of alcohol. 

Edited by marino28

Just now, Samuel Smith said:

"The rates, published in the Royal Gazette, adjust the tax rate for beer to 22 per cent of retail price and Bt430 per liter of alcoholic content"

Where does it say on top of existing rates?

the new rates are based on the existing retail price.

So what will be the increase per bottle of beer?I guess that is what a lot of people would like to know.

It will not last long anyway,as soon as they find out this increase will actually make them less money they will revoke this real fast.

• Like 2

As I understand the idea is to arrive at 3000 bath of tax for 1 lit of alchool. But they will do it little by little in the next 20 years. As for the price hike now I don't think is major . Maybe 10% of the price of a beer. Just my opinion 

• Like 1