Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Longbow212

Entry fee at Koh Samed (if you have a work permit & driving licence)

Just wondering if you can still use a driving license and work permit to enter Koh Samed national park for the local rate. I'm happy to pay the local rate to enter the park but will consider going elsewhere if they want to dual price me.

• Sad 1

It's 18 months since I last went. Contrary to a few years previously, the guy wouldn't let me in at the Thai rate with my Thai driving licence. When the missis had words with him the 200 baht fee somehow became 100 baht, but it still rankled. I don't like the place much anyway, the beaches and everything along towards Laem Mae Phim are much to be preferred.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 8:36 PM, Longbow212 said:

Just wondering if you can still use a driving license and work permit to enter Koh Samed national park for the local rate. I'm happy to pay the local rate to enter the park but will consider going elsewhere if they want to dual price me.

... go elsewhere bro ... out of LOS ... they are out out screw you ... ai baa!

• Haha 2

if you're worrying about the difference in price , a beer, then going to drink lots of beer this isn;t the place for you.

or even Thailand

Edited by sandrabbit
  • Like 1

if you don't want to pay the national park fee if you land at Nadan then as you go inland then go left and walk past the temple and enter Sai Kaiw from the North. if you're that tight with money I recommend Suan Son.

The two National Parks near us changed signage at the entranceways in 2013, stating the lower price was for "Thai ID Card Holders Only". And to make their point,  my partner had to produce hers ... being near Cambo border we can't have those pesky Khmers in as locals can we?

That should be clear enough and reduce the amount of times the ticket staff are confronted by a moaning foreigner claiming his driver's licence somehow makes him a local

But of course "it's the principle" as stated in a thousand threads already on dual-pricing...

• Like 2

I have a Official Thailand ID card

(pink  in color).

It identifies me, just as a one issued to a Thai.  Not many farang have them as you can only get the after having the Yellow Book.

Have not been any where I could use it to get the Thai price.

Wonder if it works.

been there many times and other national parks showed car license but always got stuffed with the farang rate.:sad:

Just now, catman20 said:

been there many times and other national parks showed car license but always got stuffed with the farang rate.:sad:

True. 4 yrs ago I got into Kow Jai with drivers Lic. at Thai price.

But I have not tried it yet eith my Pink id card.

4 hours ago, Big Guns said:

To the OP you could do what I did & get Thai citizenship if you want to pay the Thai price. I can now grow rice to maximize my frugality :smile:

Could the OP just go and do that because I cannot think of a way that I could, retired so no work permit, pay Thai tax on my interest, maried put kids through education (not mine the Mrs) but not even a hope of residency.

Magic solution welcome.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, everett kendall said:

True. 4 yrs ago I got into Kow Jai with drivers Lic. at Thai price.

But I have not tried it yet eith my Pink id card.

I have (different park) been refused Thai price with Thai pink ID and licence got a firm no.

Pink forienger I'd won't cut it.  You need Thai citizenship then u get a Thai ID card.  Just need to have been married to Thai & pay tax 3 years to apply. 

I have been to Koh samet for 3 times and never paid any national fee... I would pay if they ask and at the ticket gate I always greeted the guards and they greet me back. Nobody checks and nobody ever mentioned about national park ticket. 

2 hours ago, everett kendall said:

I have a Official Thailand ID card

(pink  in color).

It identifies me, just as a one issued to a Thai.  Not many farang have them as you can only get the after having the Yellow Book.

Have not been any where I could use it to get the Thai price.

Wonder if it works.

It won't work in National parks but to other places lake Zoo's , Waterparks, floating markets amusemetparks etc it works fine.