Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Alsyapal

Thai English Translator App

Recommended Posts

Please help I have a Thai girlfriend who speaks little English and I speak even less Thai.   The problem is I am in the UK and she in Thailand and communication is very difficult.   As she cannot read or write Thai or English she can only send me voice messages which it is very hard to translate.   I have to play then in Messenger on a tablet then copy over to my mobile phone Google translater app. when it does work the messages are different each time I try.    Is there nothing that works with Messenger that is easier -  I have tried most of them without success.  Please help :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairly likely she speaks a dialect and that will be very difficult to translate if you don't have another Thai around that speaks the same dialect. But in the UK that will be another Thai woman, so that will get you in even more trouble....

 

You should also realize that Thai language, dialect or not, is fairly inefficient. It happens a lot that the message does not come across even between people that speak the same dialect. Misunderstandings are an everyday thing here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai is not an easy language to translate via the digital apps.  My wife, who is University educated, often has to struggle with the written word and sometimes finds it difficult to get a precise outcome.  Try the App "translate voice" and "Then Dictionary".  The standard is "Google Translate".  As "recycler" stated, the dialects are difficult at times because they are not represented in the official "Central Thai" language Apps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

even when you try Thai text into Google translate you often cannot understand the translation into English ,

 

I will put the Thai text into a few translation programs so I have a better idea,

 

I also think you talk "with your hands" a lot more than you think , so maybe set up Skype video

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, recycler said:

Fairly likely she speaks a dialect and that will be very difficult to translate if you don't have another Thai around that speaks the same dialect. But in the UK that will be another Thai woman, so that will get you in even more trouble....

 

You should also realize that Thai language, dialect or not, is fairly inefficient. It happens a lot that the message does not come across even between people that speak the same dialect. Misunderstandings are an everyday thing here.

Thai an "inefficient" language? Do you actually speak it? Thai is extremely "economical". English is "inefficient" with its silly tenses, inflections, plurals, redundant pronouns. Why say I "went" yesterday when the temporal adverb "yesterday" makes the time obvious? Why two "cars" when the "two" shows it's more than one car. I find Thai even more "efficient" than Chinese, with its sneaky plurals. As for an app to translate Thai to English, good luck. I've never found a useful one.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

even when you try Thai text into Google translate you often cannot understand the translation into English ,

 

I will put the Thai text into a few translation programs so I have a better idea,

 

I also think you talk "with your hands" a lot more than you think , so maybe set up Skype video

Google Translate is only so-so. If you understand written Thai syntax, but don't have a large written vocabulary it works well enough for an initial translation that I then take and 'clean up.'  Translating the results into voice?  You may get some entertaining translations.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Thai an "inefficient" language? Do you actually speak it? Thai is extremely "economical". English is "inefficient" with its silly tenses, inflections, plurals, redundant pronouns. Why say I "went" yesterday when the temporal adverb "yesterday" makes the time obvious? Why two "cars" when the "two" shows it's more than one car. I find Thai even more "efficient" than Chinese, with its sneaky plurals. As for an app to translate Thai to English, good luck. I've never found a useful one.

"Simple" or "functional" is another way describing the Thai language.  English, for historical reasons, is far more complex, convoluted and subtle - and therein lies the main problem when it comes to accurate translation.

 

Whenever I need a quick cheer-up, I go to my wife's Facebook page and us Google translate to turn her postings to friends and relatives into English. The gibberish which results has to be seen to be believed and gives us both the giggles. Try it some time!

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently use the app "speak and translate" from Apple to practice my Thai, but even the Thai's have to speak very clearly and slowly to make the app work. If she can only speak a local dialect like Loa, Kmer or Soi then you out of luck. The fact that she does not read or write Thai gives an indication that she only speaks dialect.   My wife from Isaan learned to speak Thai in school, her mother that never went to school cannot speak Thai at all. I do not know of any apps that can translate local dialects,  but like Kratiaboy said even written Thai is a mess in Google translate, it only works for individual words. It would probably be better to find out which dialect she speaks first and use a app that can handle the original language, Lao for Laos, Kmer for Cambodia maybe you get better results. Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line has an EN - TH translator. 

You type in English and it does a simultaneous written translation in Thai.

Conversely, your gf can type in Thai language and you will receive an instant translation in English.

 

It seems to work for general corresponding not sure about technical translations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, connda said:

Go to Google Play and have your GF type in แปลเสียงไทย.  There is not an English title, only Thai.
Have fun.

do you have a link for it ?

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

Line has an EN - TH translator. 

You type in English and it does a simultaneous written translation in Thai.

Conversely, your gf can type in Thai language and you will receive an instant translation in English.

 

It seems to work for general corresponding not sure about technical translations.

I have LIne. If you have time could you PM me with directions on how to find it and use the translator? Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I have LIne. If you have time could you PM me with directions on how to find it and use the translator? Cheers.

Search for TH-EN Translator in LINE and add as new friend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 23 October 2017 20:20
Sponsors
×