Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Alsyapal

Thai English Translator App

22 hours ago, tonray said:

Search for TH-EN Translator in LINE and add as new friend

Where is the translator? I couldn't find it.

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

Where is the translator? I couldn't find it.

did you search for TH-EN ?

search on google store for TH-EN   and you will see the logo of the app above ,

and they also have a EN-TH  app

21 minutes ago, tonray said:

did you search for TH-EN ?

I looked everywhere. Is there a "search" function I don't see?

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

I looked everywhere. Is there a "search" function I don't see?

pm me your LINE ID.

I asked a simple question about translation I neither wanted or deserved your patronising response.   The lady in question is somebody that I will be meeting over Christmas when I am visiting Thailand for two months.   I am going to stay at her family home with a good friend of mine who is married to her sister.    We have had several video chats over the last months and have managed to communicate with the assistance of the sister who speaks good English.   Merely company for the four of us to tour around a little over the holiday I have no intention of making her my life partner.     You have jumped to conclusions and insulted me with your comments about my friends and intentions.  I suggest you get your head out of your butt and investigate a little more before jumping to conclusions. 

Inflammatory posts removed please see the following forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

On 9/21/2017 at 6:33 AM, jgarbo said:

Thai an "inefficient" language? Do you actually speak it? Thai is extremely "economical". English is "inefficient" with its silly tenses, inflections, plurals, redundant pronouns. Why say I "went" yesterday when the temporal adverb "yesterday" makes the time obvious? Why two "cars" when the "two" shows it's more than one car. I find Thai even more "efficient" than Chinese, with its sneaky plurals. As for an app to translate Thai to English, good luck. I've never found a useful one.

it is inefficient.

If I ask my girlfriend to discuss some more important topic because of her -of cause- far better Thai with an official, salesman, whoever  - it takes her 2 to 3 times the time, I would need in my mother language.

Picking up your example: 2 cars versus รถ 2 คัน (rot 2 kan) - so 3 letters from the classifier instead of 1 "s" 

If you compare, for example,  technical terms for a car, you'll also realize that what is achieved with a relatively short english 2 syllable word (eg. boot lid) takes a far longer (official) Thai word ( in this case 4 syllables gra pro:ng tha:i rot) กระโปรงท้ายรถ 

On 9/21/2017 at 1:34 PM, Alsyapal said:

As I said she doesn't read or write Thai only speaks it

You are sure, she is Thai?

How old is she?

Public education is available since long in Thailand, not at least to ensure developing a Thai identity. I am only aware of some 60 years plus Thai, who cannot read Thai ...

To comment on "BernieOnTour's" post.  I find the same thing.  Back in Farang Land you can ask the sales person a question like; "Do you have a USB WiFi Dongle for a Samsung TV?"  The reply will be a quick "yes" or "no".  My wife has asked the same question in Thai to the Thai sales person and the whole affair has taken at least 5 minutes of intense conversation to come up with the answer.  I have observed this lengthy process on many occasion and am convinced that it does indeed take far longer to communicate concepts and ideas, or get an answer to a simple question, than in most other languages.  I believe that it's because the language is not specific enough in it's structure and has far fewer words in it's vocabulary.  Also extra spacial thinking is not a forte and when combined with an insular approach to the world you will find that patience is a great  asset.

Good luck with your quest "Alsyapal".  Unfortunately there are folks out there who sport with honest people seeking honest answers, don't let it put you off.  Their posts expose them for what they are and the moderators are quickly on to most of them.

Edited by Antioc
Added text

On 9/20/2017 at 11:55 PM, connda said:

Go to Google Play and have your GF type in แปลเสียงไทย.  There is not an English title, only

Wow!  This app is amazing!  Thanks for the recommendation.

Does anyone have a good translator app from the app store (apple)?  I showed my bf the แปลเสียงไทย app and now he wants one for his iphone....but  we couldn't find it in the app store.