TunnelRat69

Never Again King Power - Suvarnabhumi Ripoff

This is a warning that the Duty Free at Big Swampy is way overpriced  -  three of us were travelling to Vietnam yesterday and each bought two bottles of Hennessey Cognac VSOP at 2950 baht ($89) - on arrival in Saigon, the duty free there was $71, exact same cognac - that's an $18 a bottle difference.  Wonder how many other "Duty Free" items are overpriced - Everything??.  

My lady friend bought me a watch at Paragon for my birthday, ($475 and I got $79 TVA back) the same watch in Swampy was $600 -  Color me 'King Power Never Again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well known for a long time.......pity you did not search on here before your purchased,could have saved you making this mistake :thumbsup:

• Like 2

You can buy most things at King Power cheaper elsewhere in Thailand, and it is always cheaper in other countries. The whole shop/system is a ripoff targeting the Chinese tourists.  How else can you buy an EPL team? 

King Power Duty free may not be the cheapest Duty Free for alcohol, but it is always cheaper than buying in the city.

48 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

All 'duty free' airport shops are a rip off for alcohol, just that some are more a rip off than others.

So where, for example, can I purchase a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin in the city for less than the price I pay at duty free on arrival at Suvarnabhumi?

• Like 1

This is the reason King Power owns Leicester city F C.

Plus the fact that they have a monopoly on everything sold at this and other airports. 

49 minutes ago, bubba said:

So where, for example, can I purchase a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin in the city for less than the price I pay at duty free on arrival at Suvarnabhumi?

Duty free on arrival is not real right? Is that not defeating the entire concept of duty free shopping? Just asking. Never made sense to me how the tax could be evaded on a fully imported good and not be the same price as a liquor store (in the case of liquor for example) 

1 minute ago, ThaiWai said:

Duty free on arrival is not real right? Is that not defeating the entire concept of duty free shopping? Just asking. Never made sense to me how the tax could be evaded on a fully imported good and not be the same price as a liquor store (in the case of liquor for example) 

Yes, duty free on arrival is a reality in many airports.

50 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

This is the reason King Power owns Leicester city F C.

Plus the fact that they have a monopoly on everything sold at this and other airports. 

Yep, Leicester City fans need to start patronising King Power in their droves if their team is to have any chance of being EPL champions again!:laugh:

2 hours ago, Belzybob said:

All 'duty free' airport shops are a rip off for alcohol, just that some are more a rip off than others.

Most are a rip-off for just about everything - alcohol, electronics etc. The online stores are killing them.

The only duty-free shop where alcohol is very much cheaper that I have seen is Norfolk Island, not exactly well-known to tourists.

2 hours ago, Belzybob said:

You've obviously never been through Italy, Germany, Istanbul and others, cheap as chips. Heathrow on the other hand an absolute rip off like Swampy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

The reason is that they are located before you go through Immigration and customs and therefore haven't technically entered the country and don't have to pay the tax

I wouldn't buy anything in Thailand but the savings on spirits certainly in Australia is quite considerable due to the high level of duty , regarding wine etc you can buy cheaper outside