Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
oldcarguy

Cookin Brown rice in electric rice cooker

On 9/30/2017 at 7:29 PM, lvr181 said:

DUH! There are plenty of RELIABLE sources that confirm rice and arsenic! Try reading about it. Could this be a 'new experience' for you? :whistling:

I read this on the internet:

"It (arsenic) affects the brain significantly, and perhaps should be called the dullness mineral because it causes mental dullness and apathy."

That explains a lot, doesn't it? Too many expats on here are eating too much rice.:smile:

• Haha 2

There's a lot of people on here pushing brown rice as the better of the two. Here's a very good comparison with scientific studies linked. The conclusion is that neither is better and to eat the one you prefer. There's a bit of information about the arsenic content near the bottom.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tropo said:

There's a lot of people on here pushing brown rice as the better of the two. Here's a very good comparison with scientific studies linked. The conclusion is that neither is better and to eat the one you prefer. There's a bit of information about the arsenic content near the bottom.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

That's a good read, Tropo, very informative, and written in a no-BS style which gains authoritative Brownie points from me :). 

(BTW, you still making kefir?)

32 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

That's a good read, Tropo, very informative, and written in a no-BS style which gains authoritative Brownie points from me :). 

(BTW, you still making kefir?)

Yes - haven't had a break in over 6 years. The digestive system is working like a charm.:smile:

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2017 at 4:32 AM, Craig krup said:

I know that the question is how to cook it, not whether you should, but still....

I love rice from a rice cooker, and I like brown rice. It has lots of useful vitamins and fiber. But, rice is full of arsenic, brown rice is worse than white rice, and the only way to get the arsenic levels right down is to soak the rice, and then cook it plenty of water and drain it. Rice cooker absorption cooking is going to leave you with a lot of arsenic. 

Having said that, if it was a really major problem you'd expect to see it in the cancer rates. I also soak, but then cook using absorption, for curries, so obviously I'm not that worried about it. 

Not Thai Rice!  The arsenic problem is basically confined to USA rice from southern states where the fields were used for cotton previously.  The cotton fields were dosed with arsenic to kill the boll weavel which was destroying the cotton crop.  Asian rice and especially brown rice is very low in trace arsenic.  Here is a video on the subject from nutritioninfo's dr. greger.  There is also a video on the site about cooking rice to minimize arsenic content.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-brands-and-sources-of-rice-have-the-least-arsenic/

4 hours ago, dontoearth said:

naturally, after years of dumping it on the soil during the cotton is KING years!

Oh, get real, it occurs naturally in many areas.  In Michigan (USA) there are areas up in the boondocks that had a lot of copper, chunks of it.  Some was very pure, some was what they called "arsenical copper".  Not saying it's not been abused, but some areas aren't suited for both paddy rice and cotton production.  You an aggie guy?

On 10/10/2017 at 11:42 PM, Damrongsak said:

Oh, get real, it occurs naturally in many areas.  In Michigan (USA) there are areas up in the boondocks that had a lot of copper, chunks of it.  Some was very pure, some was what they called "arsenical copper".  Not saying it's not been abused, but some areas aren't suited for both paddy rice and cotton production.  You an aggie guy?

I have heard that too.  The nutritionfacts.org article I posted specifically concentrates on areas that should not be used for rice production unless we can find a strain that doesn't absorb arsenic.  Rice grown in Michigan?  Never heard that before!

On 10/6/2017 at 2:06 AM, tropo said:

"It (arsenic) affects the brain significantly, and perhaps should be called the dullness mineral because it causes mental dullness and apathy."

I wonder if eating to much rice is affecting my inlaws. They eat a lot of rice and have been making very bad decisions lately. Arsenic from rice could be the cause of their extra mental dullness.

Edited by tropo
  • Thanks 1

here is my recipe 
Rinse and drain 2 cups of brown rice.
Put it in the rice cooker.  Instead of filling the cooker with water to the "2 cup" mark, fill it to the "3 cup" mark in your rice cooker.  That usually means 3 cups of water for the 2 cups of brown rice. 
Add a ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
Turn cooker on.