Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Recommended Posts

Are you talking about a Thai getting a Schengen visa? It's not as simple as my wife getting a Schengen visa because she is married to a UK National. ie. Me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

 

Her lack of bags is immaterial; as I'm sure you know passengers don't get to baggage reclaim until after they have passed through immigration.

 

We'll assume the people you saw were in fact Thai, and had been on the same flight as her. 

 

So, 30 minutes approx. to get from landing to immigration. Then, once cleared for entry she had to get from immigration to where you were waiting. Even without bags to collect in T5 that takes 10 maybe 15 minutes.

 

I appreciate your making people aware of the possibility of their Thai visitors being questioned by UK Border Force and possibly delayed while further checks are made, in your girlfriends case the telephone conversation they had with you.

 

I also appreciate your frustration; I had similar feelings when my wife and step daughter first arrived with their settlement visas and were randomly selected to be sent to the health centre for a TB test (this was before the days of TB certificates) although I was with them. But overegging the pudding does you no favours.

 

I completely see the rational in everything you have written even if I don't agree with all of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, oldgent said:

does this not make a mockery of the visa system , if all papers were in order and the decision was made

to allow the holder to travel then why do they have to interrogated again.

 

I have a marriage visa for Thailand and have been married for over 25 years but am sometimes still questioned about why I am entering Thailand (it's on the Arrival form) and where I live (it's on the arrival form) and my work (it's on the arrival form). Thais (and others) are often conservative with the truth and the authorities are well aware of that, and the honest ones pay the price by also being under suspicion. Decades ago I worked with Social Security in the UK and the Irish were treated in the same way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rasg said:

Are you talking about a Thai getting a Schengen visa? It's not as simple as my wife getting a Schengen visa because she is married to a UK National. ie. Me.

 

My friends have all got shengens for their Thai gfs, well assisted them to get one, one is in Greece as we speak with his Thai gf, If married to an EU or UK National it is even easier I believe?.... I'm not saying I know the facts in any of this but the impression I get is for non-EU nationals the shengen visa process is easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

 

I have a marriage visa for Thailand and have been married for over 25 years but am sometimes still questioned about why I am entering Thailand (it's on the Arrival form) and where I live (it's on the arrival form) and my work (it's on the arrival form). Thais (and others) are often conservative with the truth and the authorities are well aware of that, and the honest ones pay the price by also being under suspicion. Decades ago I worked with Social Security in the UK and the Irish were treated in the same way.

 

 

Not going to dispute there are issues also with Thai immigration, but that is another debate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

True on paper, although everyone I know from a Shengen country has found the process more straightforward. I would imagine cheaper too

 

The majority of UK visit visa applicants find it very straightforward, too.

 

8 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

I believe the settlement process is simpler too.

Only if the applicant is a qualifying family member of an EEA national who is exercising an economic treaty right in an EEA (not necessarily Schengen) state other than that of which they are a citizen.

 

Otherwise, they have to meet whatever the requirements of their home state are for family migration.

 

11 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

I am seriously considering marrying her in Spain as I have property there and hold a Spanish N.I card allowing me to work. I know its scorned on but 6 months working in Spain (or whatever the requirement is) doesn't seem so bad

 Up to you; provided you satisfy the Spanish that you are exercising a treaty right there by providing whatever evidence they require. Regular readers of this forum will know that the Spanish are notorious for disregarding the directive!

 

But I suggest you marry her in Thailand before moving to Spain; spouses are qualifying family members under the directive; fiances are not.

 

To qualify for return to the UK via the Surinder Singh route, see here. Of course, that is the situation now; what it will be post Brexit is anyone's guess; but I certainly wouldn't stake my future on it being the same!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

 

The majority of UK visit visa applicants find it very straightforward, too.

 

 

Would be interested in seeing a poll on that... Not sure I have ever met anyone who has said that, even my wealthy Thai friends in Bangkok.

 

Just asked the gf if she found the process straightforward or not -:smile:

Edited by darren1971

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am British, and one time returning from Morocco on a six month surfing trip we were detained at Dover for over 9 hours. They dismantled the car, contacted our families, brought in Special Branch officers, questioned us repeatedly...did everything except physically search us. Didn't believe we could live in Morocco for six months without dealing drugs. Searched the whole car to find drugs, but didn't look inside the surfboards on the roof rack which was where we would have put them if that was our trip.....but it wasn't. When we got off the ferry all we wanted to do was get to London and have a pint and a pie.....and when we got there it was one in the morning. Of course we were the only car stopped. I think they were bored and needed to torment somebody, and we were the lucky ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

Would be interested in seeing a poll on that... Not sure I have ever met anyone who has said that, even my wealthy Thai friends in Bangkok.

 

Over the last 17 years i have sponsored several UK visit visas for members of my wife's family; no problems except for the first time when I applied for a visit visa for my then fiance, now wife, and was a complete visa naïf and believed it was simply a matter of filling in the form and paying the fee!

 

Yes, there are forms to fill in and evidence to supply; but this is true of any visa application to any country.

 

I have said it before, but it's worth repeating. In the many years i have taken an interest, posts in this and other forums together with personal experience and that of friends and acquaintances has shown me that there are basically three reasons why any UK visa application is refused. They are, in no particular order:-

  • the applicant simply didn't meet the requirements for the visa;
  • they did, but failed to show that they did, or provided so much unnecessary paperwork that the vital stuff was buried in the rubbish and so missed;
  • they did meet the requirements, provided all the required paperwork and nothing else, but the ECO made a mistake.

Each year over 95% of UK visit visa applications submitted in Thailand are successful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

Just asked the gf if she found the process straightforward or not

 

Read the Schengen sticky; you'll see that obtaining a Schengen visa isn't as straight forward as you seem to think!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

 

Over the last 17 years i have sponsored several UK visit visas for members of my wife's family; no problems except for the first time when I applied for a visit visa for my then fiance, now wife, and was a complete visa naïf and believed it was simply a matter of filling in the form and paying the fee!

 

Yes, there are forms to fill in and evidence to supply; but this is true of any visa application to any country.

 

I have said it before, but it's worth repeating. In the many years i have taken an interest, posts in this and other forums together with personal experience and that of friends and acquaintances has shown me that there are basically three reasons why any UK visa application is refused. They are, in no particular order:-

  • the applicant simply didn't meet the requirements for the visa;
  • they did, but failed to show that they did, or provided so much unnecessary paperwork that the vital stuff was buried in the rubbish and so missed;
  • they did meet the requirements, provided all the required paperwork and nothing else, but the ECO made a mistake.

Each year over 95% of UK visit visa applications submitted in Thailand are successful.

 

 

I think you are over simplifying it based on personal experience. Reason to return is completely subjective, fine if you meet the profile often unfair if you don't. I'm guessing Yingluck who is now in London wasn't quizzed about her reason to return to Thailand.

Edited by darren1971

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, darren1971 said:

 

I think you are over simplifying it based on personal experience. Reason to return is completely subjective, fine if you meet the profile often unfair if you don't.

 My sister in law lives in the house we own in Bangkok and, apart from pin money from odd jobs, has no income other than the money we send her as a sort of salary for being the caretaker of our property.

 

She has had two successful visit visa applications in the last four years. each time she said she would be staying for 6 months.

 

But yes, applicants do have to show that they meet the requirements in order to get a visa; my sister in law was successful; as was your girlfriend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, darren1971 said:

 

hahah... just want to get her here to wash dishes in my pub because low paid labour is in such short supply :smile:

 

(actually pay my staff rather well before I get flamed)

Noted and understood 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

 

Over the last 17 years i have sponsored several UK visit visas for members of my wife's family; no problems except for the first time when I applied for a visit visa for my then fiance, now wife, and was a complete visa naïf and believed it was simply a matter of filling in the form and paying the fee!

 

Yes, there are forms to fill in and evidence to supply; but this is true of any visa application to any country.

 

I have said it before, but it's worth repeating. In the many years i have taken an interest, posts in this and other forums together with personal experience and that of friends and acquaintances has shown me that there are basically three reasons why any UK visa application is refused. They are, in no particular order:-

  • the applicant simply didn't meet the requirements for the visa;
  • they did, but failed to show that they did, or provided so much unnecessary paperwork that the vital stuff was buried in the rubbish and so missed;
  • they did meet the requirements, provided all the required paperwork and nothing else, but the ECO made a mistake.

Each year over 95% of UK visit visa applications submitted in Thailand are successful.

 

 

surely a fourth reason; the applicant lies or provides misleading, inaccurate or contradictory information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, samsensam said:

 

surely a fourth reason; the applicant lies or provides misleading, inaccurate or contradictory information

 

after Brexit there will be a 5th, the Tories need to show immigration figures falling to get re-elected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 23 November 2017 03:03
Sponsors
×