Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 17 December 2018 09:45
Teak

Follow up on Police shooting of tourist in Pai...

So it is possible to "win" in court, even in a country where "legal-certainty" is questionable.

Outside of her determination and "guts", she must have had financial backing from folks in Canada to see it through. (9 years and 10 court appearances). Respect and admiration and I mean it!

Slightly off topic:
- Even Thai nationals will gladly admit, that the Thai Legal System is somewhat "unpredictable". (Understatement). No wonder, that Farangs prefer to walk away from minor legal disputes, thus avoiding excessive legal cost in an "unpredictable" legal environement.  
Not stopping certain Farangs to invest their life savings here. But that's another story and off topic.
Cheers.

• Like 1

well done Carly, not many would have had the courage and determination to stick it out until the end

Has the OP updated Drummond on this case? He likes publicizing these types of cases

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elektrified said:

That's good news for the plaintiff. Justice was served. But I don't understand why every time you provide updates, that you always include this old chestnut "a Shinawatra was in power at the time".  It's really quite odd.

perhaps it ws because he was an ex corrupt cop. And cops at that time thought they could get away with anything.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, swissie said:

So it is possible to "win" in court, even in a country where "legal-certainty" is questionable.

Outside of her determination and "guts", she must have had financial backing from folks in Canada to see it through. (9 years and 10 court appearances). Respect and admiration and I mean it!

Slightly off topic:
- Even Thai nationals will gladly admit, that the Thai Legal System is somewhat "unpredictable". (Understatement). No wonder, that Farangs prefer to walk away from minor legal disputes, thus avoiding excessive legal cost in an "unpredictable" legal environement.  
Not stopping certain Farangs to invest their life savings here. But that's another story and off topic.
Cheers.

Please so how much was she rewarded or how much was a life worth in thailand.

• Like 2

THX for the update, I had completely forgotten the details about that case....!?!?

She has wasted 10 years of her life on this. Can't help thinking she would have lived a happier 10 years if she had let it go.

Still, I wish her well.

13 hours ago, swissie said:

So it is possible to "win" in court, even in a country where "legal-certainty" is questionable

maybe just once easier than other times: Remember that around the time of the verdict Mr. Prayuth was Honorable Guest of Mr. Trump

"The court case is now finished and a judgement resulting in a monetary settlement has been granted to Ms Reisig."

Hard to figure out what the sentence means. She left Thailand with some money or she didn't?

I wish her the best of luck, of course, unfortunately in Thai civil cases, getting a judgement is only the beginning.  Enforcement is difficult and very, very time-consuming.

• Like 1