Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
nasa123

Thailand: Buddhists stage resurrections to clear bad karma

Recommended Posts

 

Buddhist devotees underwent cleansing exercises at the Wat Takien temple in Bangkok on Sunday, by lying in coffins and having their bad karma relieved through an ancient practice performed by local monks. SOT, Buddhist Monk, (Thai): "This is a ritual of Buddhism which sets to exorcise the bad things out of ourselves. What we have to do is we lay down in the coffin and the monk will cover us with a blanket. When the monk pulls the blanket, for the first time, we leave both pain and the unlucky experiences behind. The Monk will repeat this again, and for the second time we count as we are reborn and the monk will bless us." SOT, Local boy attending ritual, (Thai): "I believe it is about the liberation of suffering. Being reborn and establishing merit. Lying down, is like when we are dead, then we are reborn."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please do NOT call this 'Buddhist'. It is adult playacting fantasy BS you do not gain karmic release by laying in a coffin. Probably has an Animism background but not Buddhist.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Please do NOT call this 'Buddhist'. It is adult playacting fantasy BS you do not gain karmic release by laying in a coffin. Probably has an Animism background but not Buddhist.

It is not BS. Even though it does not have a physical manifestation, It does have the  effect of a mental reset.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with LannaGuy. My Thai brother-in-law has spent time in the monkhood. I asked him and he just shook his head and said "Sorry Khun Roy, it is outside true Buddhism but 'modern' people want these things and some temples let them play with it. Temple can earn money." 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Please do NOT call this 'Buddhist'. It is adult playacting fantasy BS you do not gain karmic release by laying in a coffin. Probably has an Animism background but not Buddhist.

And how do you know real Buddism rules work.. just like the Christian and Muslim religion.. and all other religions and fantasies there is nothing proven. So this could work as wel or not work at all as nothing is proven about religion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robblok said:

And how do you know real Buddism rules work.. just like the Christian and Muslim religion.. and all other religions and fantasies there is nothing proven. So this could work as wel or not work at all as nothing is proven about religion. 

 

"Buddhism rules work"?  what are you talking about?  I am saying this has NOTHING to do with Buddhism. I do not care if they want to be stupid, superstitious or crazy it is NOT Buddhism.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sirineou said:

It is not BS. Even though it does not have a physical manifestation, It does have the  effect of a mental reset.

 

 

 

Haha ok but it is NOT Buddhism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

 

"Buddhism rules work"?  what are you talking about?  I am saying this has NOTHING to do with Buddhism. I do not care if they want to be stupid, superstitious or crazy it is NOT Buddhism.   

Ok no argument there.. if you don't want to classify it as a Buddhist thing. 

 

For me all religions are equally funny as there is no proof of any of it so I find them all funny .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk about opium of the people people. Whatever next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ok no argument there.. if you don't want to classify it as a Buddhist thing. 

 

For me all religions are equally funny as there is no proof of any of it so I find them all funny .

 

I was just being specific and pedantic  :smile:  I have actually studied Buddhism and it irks me when people lump all sorts of BS together in Thailand and call it 'Buddhism'.

 

I have found, living here, that 99% of Thais are clueless what 'Buddhism' is and chatting to some monks they are, mostly, in that 99%.

 

Thai Wats are, of course, mainly Hindu and I mention that to Thais and they look at me as if I'm stupid. Education is a rare thing here  :smile:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

 

Haha ok but it is NOT Buddhism.

 And it is not BS

It is Human, and last I checked Buddhists were also Human.

Buddhists like anyone else can lose their way , rebirth is well within the Buddhist tradition   and IMO a symbolic death and rebirth can have a mental reset that allows one to make a new start.  

   It is a concept practiced with in many cultures

Freemasons upon initiation also .in the third degree experience a symbolic  death and are resurrected in their new path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sirineou said:

 And it is not BS

It is Human, and last I checked Buddhists were also Human.

Buddhists like anyone else can lose their way , rebirth is well within the Buddhist tradition   and IMO a symbolic death and rebirth can have a mental reset that allows one to make a new start.  

   It is a concept practiced with in many cultures

Freemasons upon initiation also .in the third degree experience a symbolic  death and are resurrected in their new path.

 

You can call it anything your little heart desires but it is NOT any part of Buddhism ok? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

 

You can call it anything your little heart desires but it is NOT any part of Buddhism ok? 

You did not only say that it was not Buddhist you also said that it was BS .

Nowhere did I say that it was Buddhist,

I do not  know enough about Buddhism to make that determination I suspect you don't either, but I could be wrong.

All I said was that it is not BS, and I think I made a good case for my assertion. and that rebirth , as far as I know is well within the Buddhist tradition .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It is not BS. Even though it does not have a physical manifestation, It does have the  effect of a mental reset.


Or you could just take this. Works just as well.

placebo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

 

I was just being specific and pedantic  :smile:  I have actually studied Buddhism and it irks me when people lump all sorts of BS together in Thailand and call it 'Buddhism'.

 

I have found, living here, that 99% of Thais are clueless what 'Buddhism' is and chatting to some monks they are, mostly, in that 99%.

 

Thai Wats are, of course, mainly Hindu and I mention that to Thais and they look at me as if I'm stupid. Education is a rare thing here  :smile:

55555

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 18 November 2017 08:11
Sponsors
×