Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

U.S. VP Pence leaves NFL game after players kneel during anthem

8 minutes ago, Publicus said:

Nay.

Your post griped about (the multi billion dollar profession of) football being a "game" and that you watched it to "relax" and to escape. And that players and some supporting owners have brought into your living room the National Police Homicide Crime Wave against unarmed black Americans.

There's no escaping it cause the demonstrating protesters know where we live and where we are at high noon on Sunday. And the offending police are out there 24/7. To those who sleep the gunmen in blue get you coming and going.

NFL players practice on a field with a ball not against black Americans and with a gun.

Sorry I should have been more specific.  What does the clip from Apocalypse Now have to do with black football players giving the black power salute during the National Anthem?  And , why all the commie party jargon like calling me a "reactionary?"

10 hours ago, amvet said:

I have never said the football players don't have a right to disrupt or disrespect the National Anthem as a venue for social protest.  One simple question if you don't mind.  Do you think the National Anthem at professional sporting events is an appropriate time and place for social protest?

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I like the idea of reading the constitution at football games, instead of the national anthem. Run that idea up the flagpole. 

I see your satire.  It begs the question, "how far do Americans want to go to impose patriotism?"

Perhaps at each major stoplight, one or more people come out and preach to the cars waiting at the red light.   How about mandatory standing while the anthem plays - before each screening at a movie theater (sounds familiar to any resident in Thailand).   Or saying the pledge of allegiance each time a person gets to a gov't bureau counter for, let's say, to get a drivers license or house building permit.

You see the pattern?  Required patriotism can get taken to any lengths that powers-that-be want it to be taken.  The US armed services pays millions of dollars to instate patriotism at ball parks.  School kids in the US are required to voice the 'Pledge of Allegiance.'   Should the pledge be required five times a day, at designated time intervals?   

Patriotism should come of itself, not be dictated.

5 minutes ago, amvet said:

Sorry I should have been more specific.  What does the clip from Apocalypse Now have to do with black football players giving the black power salute during the National Anthem?  And , why all the commie party jargon like calling me a "reactionary?"

I agree -- more specific, yes, I agree. No need to offer an apology however because you and I agree, as you have noted many times.

I agree because the movie clip serves perhaps to remind us that black Americans who are patriotic have fought for the republic from before there was a Constitution. You and I don't agree on everything however, to say the least. It is not for instance "commie party jargon" to say a reactionary in the USA is a reactionary. Maybe I am right and maybe I am wrong but the "commie party jargon" is Joe McCarthy stuff.

Agreed?

1 hour ago, Publicus said:

I agree -- more specific, yes, I agree. No need to offer an apology however because you and I agree, as you have noted many times.

I agree because the movie clip serves perhaps to remind us that black Americans who are patriotic have fought for the republic from before there was a Constitution. You and I don't agree on everything however, to say the least. It is not for instance "commie party jargon" to say a reactionary in the USA is a reactionary. Maybe I am right and maybe I am wrong but the "commie party jargon" is Joe McCarthy stuff.

Agreed?

Relative worked for government and said that's how they identified Russian posters as they still used Marxist jargon.  Couldn't get it out of their speech patterns. 

Apocalypse Now is an anti war movie and not patriotic and clearly off topic meant to besmirch my military service.  Don't both me as I didn't care much for it either although would not go as far as some and throw some stolen medals over the wall at government buildings. 

Edited by amvet

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

I see your satire.  It begs the question, "how far do Americans want to go to impose patriotism?"

Perhaps at each major stoplight, one or more people come out and preach to the cars waiting at the red light.   How about mandatory standing while the anthem plays - before each screening at a movie theater (sounds familiar to any resident in Thailand).   Or saying the pledge of allegiance each time a person gets to a gov't bureau counter for, let's say, to get a drivers license or house building permit.

You see the pattern?  Required patriotism can get taken to any lengths that powers-that-be want it to be taken.  The US armed services pays millions of dollars to instate patriotism at ball parks.  School kids in the US are required to voice the 'Pledge of Allegiance.'   Should the pledge be required five times a day, at designated time intervals?   

Patriotism should come of itself, not be dictated. 

America does such a lousy job of history education that it's hard to imaging patriotism being a goal.   Canada plays the National Anthem at sports events do you think they are getting ready to burn down the White House again?