Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Billy Bloggs

Introduction to immigration in Buri Ram

On 10/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, puchooay said:

Good point about attire, Billy.

I cringe sometimes when I see how people turn up at immigration.

The offices in Korat have even posted do and don't photos and turn people away who are not correctly attired.

I'm sure that shopping malls have different views than immigration. I also guess that military personnel would not be permitted to wear shorts when in an being interviewed by officers about official matters.

Well here are a couple of officers chatting about something.....and shock horror, they are wearing shorts! (And the one on the right is at least a Major-General.)

bermudashortsarmyphoto.jpg

Edited by pearciderman
  • Like 1

Getting away from acceptable attire, I'll ask again.

Has anyone successfully completed a conversion process at Buriram, from a Visa exempt, or Tourist Visa, to an extension of stay based on retirement.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Getting away from acceptable attire, I'll ask again.

Has anyone successfully completed a conversion process at Buriram, from a Visa exempt, or Tourist Visa, to an extension of stay based on retirement.

Hi Tansohi. You need to convert your visa exempt or Tourist Visa to Non-O first. That gives you 3 more months in Thailand. Before the 3 months are up, you apply for 1 year extension based on retirement, or marriage.

3 years ago I converted my Tourist Visa to Non-O based on marriage at Kap Cheong Immi (Surin), before Buriram Immi opened.

Was told by many learned expats in Buriram Province that it couldn't be done, so I visited KCI personally to ask. Can do, the Captain said. I believe that I may have been the first ever to successfully achieve this.

My point being, I really think it would be worth making a personal visit to Buriram Immi to ask them direct. Non-O based on retirement is slightly easier than marriage, so hopefully no reason why they can't do a conversion for you.

Cheers, and best of luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Well here are a couple of officers chatting about something.....and shock horror, they are wearing shorts! (And the one on the right is at least a Major-General.)

bermudashortsarmyphoto.jpg

Indeed and they are in a field. Doesn't look like there is any official interview going on either.

Looks like you need a different photo to make your point.

Edited by puchooay

LOL glad I started this , pics of military in shorts(on patrol in a river I believe) a couple  out in a field discussing how to stuff up the next advance and cost more troops lives(notice the long socks worn, (now a days with sandals by some) and the pith helmet always a nice touch) I could post a few of flight lines where the attire was shorts, work boots and socks and ear muffs.

To just clarify a TM 30 was required for my lady not to get fined(yes you can do them online but you have to be registered and it is mainly for hotels and boarding houses etc and I dont think they register individuals) so that was part of what we wanted to do.

It was not however what we asked to do at the start but what they decided we should do first while we waited for our IO to arrive and the TM28 is what I really wanted to do which was done with no problems what so ever.

Sorry I even mentioned the attire thing, it was a personal thing(as I sit here typing this in a pair of shorts and a singlet and bare feet) that I dont find the correct way to be, but I would never force my way of thinking or being on to anyone as we are all individuals. But good to see that people in all types of attire get treated equally it seems.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, electric said:

Hi Tansohi. You need to convert your visa exempt or Tourist Visa to Non-O first. That gives you 3 more months in Thailand. Before the 3 months are up, you apply for 1 year extension based on retirement, or marriage.

3 years ago I converted my Tourist Visa to Non-O based on marriage at Kap Cheong Immi (Surin), before Buriram Immi opened.

Was told by many learned expats in Buriram Province that it couldn't be done, so I visited KCI personally to ask. Can do, the Captain said. I believe that I may have been the first ever to successfully achieve this.

My point being, I really think it would be worth making a personal visit to Buriram Immi to ask them direct. Non-O based on retirement is slightly easier than marriage, so hopefully no reason why they can't do a conversion for you.

Cheers, and best of luck.

Hi yes thanks,

I was asking on behalf of a friend in Buriram. He screwed up his O-A Visa, so got a 30 day Visa exempt entry but left it to late to do a conversion.

I told him to get a 30 day extension, which he has, and now he's preparing his documents to do the conversion to Non Imm O and retirement extension. I've run him through the procedure, forms and documents required, but he tells me when he applied for the 30 day extension and mentioned coming back to do the conversion, the IO said he'd have to get a Visa across the border first, or for a fee he could handle it.

Anyway I've sent my friend back today with a TM87, TM7 and all his documents.

Hopefully he gets a different more honest IO.

I just wondered if anyone else had successfully completed the conversion process at Buriram since all Immigration offices have been informed to handle these types of applications themselves now.

Edited by Tanoshi

20 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Hi yes thanks,

I was asking on behalf of a friend in Buriram. He screwed up his O-A Visa, so got a 30 day Visa exempt entry but left it to late to do a conversion.

I told him to get a 30 day extension, which he has, and now he's preparing his documents to do the conversion to Non Imm O and retirement extension. I've run him through the procedure, forms and documents required, but he tells me when he applied for the 30 day extension and mentioned coming back to do the conversion, the IO said he'd have to get a Visa across the border first, or for a fee he could handle it.

Anyway I've sent my friend back today with a TM87, TM7 and all his documents.

Hopefully he gets a different more honest IO.

I just wondered if anyone else had successfully completed the conversion process at Buriram since all Immigration offices have been informed to handle these types of applications themselves now.

He won't have much luck today. They are closed.

28 minutes ago, puchooay said:

He won't have much luck today. They are closed.

Unfortunately I only read his e-mail tonight telling me he was going today, after being out most of the day.

Jeez, my old girl is in the shit!   

Since I've been working overseas and instead of us living in Oz, I have visited I guess 20 times at her home in Isaan over the last 2 years,...she wouldn't know what a TM 20/9/36/69/99 or whatever was, like 99% of other Thais. And certainly hasn't filled one in.

Good mates with local chief cop and one active army general (she went to school with them) and a recently retired general and his missus,

So its not as though my presence here is a well kept secret.

Maybe she will be caught and  ( I) have to pay the fine...who knows?