Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
moonseeker

Help to learn the basics of Thai in a few weeks in Pattaya!!!????

Yes there is that taint from the --Hi so person Oxx...and even some of the teachers are stunned that you asked. But I dont think you would have that so much if your a farang talking a language that they could understand.

What is language about--if it is not communication....and if you have the choice of a language that is just spoken in 1 place, or communicating in one that is used in several... 

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Yes there is that taint from the --Hi so person Oxx...and even some of the teachers are stunned that you asked. But I dont think you would have that so much if your a farang talking a language that they could understand.

You, apparently, aren't capable of communicating effectively in English.  I'm not sure why you feel you're qualified to pontificate about communication in other languages.

If you don't get my point, consider "dont" and "your".

And you're clearly oblivious to the fact that I speak, read and write Thai fluently.  And nobody has every confused me with a whore-monger because it has always been my objective to speak Thai correctly, with an upper middle class accent and vocabulary.  As for "a farang talking a language that they could understand", well that's never, ever been an issue.  Even the whores from Isaan (not that I have a lot to do with them) and the peasant farmers from the North can understand Central Thai spoken accurately.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Oxx said:

You, apparently, aren't capable of communicating effectively in English.  I'm not sure why you feel you're qualified to pontificate about communication in other languages.

If you don't get my point, consider "dont" and "your".

My parents spanked me as a child. I now suffer from a psychological condition known as ... "Respect for others"

What is with the aggression of some of the posters on this board that you do not seem to find elsewhere . You try to make a suggestion about Language use, then because its not in line with their views , your suggestion is not discussed--or even dismissed, your mental ability to make the suggestion is.

Yes Oxx I take your point about about Issan people understanding the Thai language, I thought I covered it by saying "its taught in all schools here" & it is the language of TV, but its not the language of choice--everyday life. Not even spoken when you walk into the Amphur/immigration, although it is written on all documents--and it would be spoken if you start to speak it.

There are many examples of this same situation around the world, especially in Europe, I have friends from Belgium & Switzerland - all have 2-3-& 4 language choices.

If you (were younger ) Oxx &  offered employment in......say  Luxenbourg, you didn't know if you would live for a long period there but you did want to communicate with people, would you take lessons in what is their National language -- Luxembourgish, a language like Thai, in as much you will never hear it spoken anywhere else in the world. Or would you say to your self, 3 other languages are spoken fluently here, why do I not learn French or German..because in my life it will be more useful.

That was the point I was trying to make for the OPs friend, he may decide to travel around somewhat -- go to Cambodia, because it boarders on Lao & the Lao spoken part of Thailand.....its like a 2nd language there.

If I did not convey this correctly--or I missed out an Apostrophe or a comma somewhere, then thank you for pointing it out---& my apologies.

Languages should be started before going to a country, especially if you only want to know the basics.  A teacher isn't magic -- you can learn the basics by yourself.  Tutors make sense once you are at an intermediate level.

If your friend is in an English speaking country, tell him to check his library for Mango Languages.  Mango teaches pronunciation, vocabulary, and basic sentence structure.   If not free at the library, Mango Languages offers a free two-week trial on their website.   I highly recommend the program.  It is excellent and well worth purchasing one month for USD$20.   https://mangolanguages.com/

50 Languages has a course built around basic phrases.  http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EM/

He can practice at a Meetup group in Pattaya for Thai beginners.  https://www.meetup.com/cities/th/pattaya/

Pimsleur puts me to sleep, but it is an excellent program.  Check the library for Pimsleur Thai.

Edited by SEtonal

The think now that I should have studied food and cooking more especially if one expects to get much of it from the street. Thais always ask what it is that you like about Thailand the answer to which I think should be “The food” if you want to make freinds quickly.  You will be on common ground with everybody and learn sentence construction at the practical level and because what you are talking about is there before you memory is enhanced by word association.  I heard yesterday that if one walks around rather than sit, lists can be more easily remembered, it may work with language. 

I remember the excellent book entitled something like the Bar Workers Guide to English. My last copy was stolen by a BG. Needs to be found and reprinted.