Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Inspire

Expat in Thailand versus stay at home Westerner – Who will really have the last laugh?

5 minutes ago, Lucky mike said:

Happiness is generated in the 4 inches between you ears it is not geographically driven ?

To a certain extent... only.

I am sure I would be happier sitting at a pool in a tropical setting, than sitting in a jail anywhere... but that's just me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

To a certain extent... only.

I am sure I would be happier sitting at a pool in a tropical setting, than sitting in a jail anywhere... but that's just me. 

Have seen plenty of people sitting around a pool in a tropical setting not happy ! Jail is not normally free choice ?

• Haha 1

IMO.

Thailand knocks the UK into a cocked hat when it comes to the weather, food and standard of living.

I have only been back 3 times in 9 years for a total of 38 days, mainly to visit family and friends.

If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have bothered.

6 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Life is what you make no matter where you are, working or not, retired or whatever. Only a mind that is at peace will truly enjoy existing.

Those happiest with themselves will always have the last laugh.

You are way too smart for TV...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Inspire said:

The negative comments always seem to be from those that have never been here.

No, it´s not at all true. The negative comments all tell the truth. It´s just that they come from people that have seen that it´s more to Thailand than only a busy, overcrowded and boring party city.

Before it was actually a lot more beautiful with clean beaches and a smaller amount every day open daylight robberies. Now that´s a mess too. Nothing much to look forward too there, more than worse conditions.

I can hire a fulltime carer ( retired nurse ) for 10K baht a month. Or there are aged care facilities near Chiang Mai in the price range of 45K-80K baht/month, still within my budget.

Contrast that with aged care and nursing homes in Australia. Deliberately understaffed to maximize the return on the dollar. Contracts which gouge eye-watering fees when a unit owner dies or moves out. Ongoing stories of inedible food, neglect and abuse. Latest story was about continence pads that had to be 75% wet before changing to a fresh one.

I don't know whether I'll die here or in Australia. IMHO I'll be happier dying here.

• Like 1

Most respectfully inspire, I live a sedentary lifestyle and love watching movies on tv. That's why I wish you and Pattaya News had your own, separate channels on Sophon Cable, so I didn't have to see your same ol', same ol' content all the time - instead of a movie krub.

5 hours ago, ferguston said:

Living in Thailand for a British National has been spoilt by the Tory government pushing through their Brexit agenda.

I only wish Scotland had gained its deserved independence.

The people voted for Brexit and were a mixed-bag politically. The PM and most of the cabinet are remainers and are obviously foot-dragging on leaving the EU. However, blame the Tories if that floats your boat.

Edited by jesimps

Aus is going down the gurgler so quick, letting the minorities take over. Between the goat shaggers and the pillow biters, nothing is safe. So Thailand wins hands down.

• Haha 1

I have been living here since 2002.  Over the last 10 years, I brought 6 friends over here from the USA.  3 of them came over kicking and screaming that they would never live in Thailand and only a 2-week vacation would prove that.   All 6 now live here permanently and those who came over bitching about Thailand had purchased tickets for a return flight before they even left.  Not one of these friends is sorry they came here and moved here permanently.

As for being happy, that comes from within wherever you are.  One must fully embrace his inner scumbag to be truly happy.  To love yourself and accept all your attributes as well as your faults and be totally comfortable in your own skin.  Loving yourself is a good start.  That is the best way to embrace life.

• Like 2

Although I could live in Thailand being retired, having a Thai wife for the last 38 years and having enough pension, I  find 3 months a year is more than enough for me and am always glad to go back to Europe for the spring, summer and autumn just I cant stand the winters.