Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
sandyf

Visa extension nightmare.

@ubonjoe  so what u say is...two non-o s cannot be issued only 1 . then i dont comprehend when you hold a non o single entry based on marriage this can be extended 7 days prior to expiration by 60 days to visit your wife. so that cannot be done with an non o b ???

wbr

roobaa01

3 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

@ubonjoe  so what u say is...two non-o s cannot be issued only 1 . then i dont comprehend when you hold a non o single entry based on marriage this can be extended 7 days prior to expiration by 60 days to visit your wife. so that cannot be done with an non o b ???

I replied to what you wrote. Which appears to say he could of gotten a non-o visa.

21 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

i read the op was married hence siracha could have issued a non-o to visit his wife instead of going to the mfa.

If he had wanted to he could of applied for a 60 day extension to visit his wife but that is not getting a non-o visa.

It still baffles me why people can't spend 1 day of their time each year yo do these things personally. 

With countless tales of things going wrong as another OP has reported his delayed online 90 day.

If you have been in Thailand for any length of time it shouldn't surprise you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Because the immigration officer insisted he needed a non-o visa to apply for his extension instead of the non-b he was incorrectly issued by the embassy.,

Yes I understand that but could the IO not have extended the Non-B? Was there other paperwork the OP had that contradicted the Non-B?

16 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Yes I understand that but could the IO not have extended the Non-B? Was there other paperwork the OP had that contradicted the Non-B?

He was applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement. All that is required is a 90 day non immigrant visa entry to apply for the extension. But the immigration officer stated he could not do it with the the entry from a non-b visa.

Edited by ubonjoe
corrected error

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He was applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement. All that is required is a 90 day non immigrant visa entry to apply for the extension. But the immigration officer stated he could not do it with the the entry from a non-b visa.

Are you implying that the IO could have done the extension but simply didn't want to?

5 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Are you implying that the IO could have done the extension but simply didn't want to?

I corrected my post by inserting a not that should of been in it.

I am saying the officer could of done it but refused to do it.

2 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Yes.

The answer to the issue was posted in 3.

Not all Immigration offices will not do an extension based on retirement from a Non B Visa, although the letter of the law states a Non Imm type Visa. A Non B is essentially issued for the purpose of business, not for retirement.

It was in this instance a genuine mistake by the London Embassy, but the IO wasn't prepared to entertain it or correct it.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

That may be your interpretation but the man at the Ministry of Consular Affairs , MFA is more common, agreed with the interpretation made by immigration in that a one year extension on a Non Imm B visa can only be done on a business basis.

I'm not interpreting anything. Other offices have, for years, been issuing extensions of stay based on retirement to those with category 'B' non-immigrant visa entries, which confirms that it can be done. And the published rules state that "The alien must hold a non-immigrant visa", but they don't specify that it must be a category 'O'  or exclude category 'B' .

As I said, some offices, and it appears Sri Ratcha is one, won't do it for category 'B' visa holders, and will usually send the person out of the country for a new visa. Sri Ratcha is just another example of an office exerting their autonomy when processing extension applications. 

As far as I know extensions of stay issued by immigration have nothing to do with the MFA, and I doubt any of the staff would be particularly qualified to comment. I would have asked for the rule/regulation being interpreted, otherwise it's just their opinion.

Bottom line is that some offices will do it, and some won't.

• Like 1

Hate to say it but your opening sentence says it all.

I have had to organize my overseas trips a few times to dodge my extension &  return after

the police probation (for want of a better word) about 1 month)

You made a choice,, live with it

On 10/19/2017 at 6:54 PM, BritTim said:

I would have bought the staff at MFA some nice cakes as a think you. They were willing to bend the rules a bit to help you. Lots of officials would have insisted on sticking to the letter of the rules, and you would have been faced with going back next week (plus other complications).

That's right. A basket of yummy fruit is always welcome and make it nice for the next person. 

5 hours ago, TKDfella said:

The IO would not grant an extension for the non-B because he wouldn't qualify, to get approved he would have had to show company docs such as tax receipts, shareholders, etc.  

Consider yourself lucky if you deem this a nightmare. Glad it worked out for you.

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

The IO would not grant an extension for the non-B because he wouldn't qualify, to get approved he would have had to show company docs such as tax receipts, shareholders, etc.  

That is not correct as others have written before. All he needed to apply for the extension was a non immigrant visa entry and he had one. The rules do not state a particular non immigrant visa category for extensions. He had all the required document for his extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 1