Great pic....a very good time best of samui before all been commercialized...sad....

1995 to 2000 in Samui now Bkk and soon back Europe

These time there had been really special and human flair...now an disaster in all directories

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks for posting these great shots.. My first visit was in 1979.. loved it... stayed in huts at the top end of Chowang.. beautiful clear water and lovely sandy beach.. the water is crappy now and the sand has been washed away exposing the rocks.. sad to see..  the middle of the island was just farming communities..  

first went in 86, just starting to get a few more visitors,

i remeber at the guest house i was staying in a thai man came around with a monkey,

which climbed the trees to get the coconuts down. fabulous.

Coming to Chumpon by boat (a year ago), there was nothing but a green scenery on land. Not a single concrete building. I was in shock.

Only when you get closer to the land, you can see the wooden building at the pier.

Are there any other sceneries like this at all, when arriving to land by boat, somewhere in Thailand?

I spent eight months living and working ("ha farang" for Wisan Bungalow) at Chaweng Beach in 1979-80. A beautiful island, a wonderful beach, great people and delicious food.

Good memories, but people were already saying it was ruined in the mid-80s. Same with Phuket. Fact is, those who have fond memories of a place as it formerly was will always have a nostalgic reaction to what it has become, that's human nature. For many - but probably by no means all - first timers, it will be the same; in twenty, thirty, fifty years' time they'll look back with just the same feelings. 
Not being much of a beach person, I feel the same about Chiang Mai; thirty years ago it held a very special charm for me. Now, I have no urge to go near the place.
Spot on there I went in the year 2000 and I thought it had gone down hill by 2006

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On 10/22/2017 at 4:52 AM, robg1 said:

I was there in 1923 and I can't believe how much it's changed. 

You've got a great memory for such an old person!

• Haha 2