Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
B0nkers

2 Border runs per calendar year period or per country?

2 Border runs per calendar year period or per country?

I think I have done 2 runs into Vientiane this year already and will need to do another run next month. In Pattaya now, so thinking Cambodia is the way to go.

My question is: Am I already maxed out with the 2 runs to Laos, or is it 2 runs per year per country? 

If I am maxed out, is my only option to go to another country until 2018 and come back?

Thanks in adavnce

That's two (2) runs out and in to Thailand via LAND borders.  The limitation doesn't apply to flying, so you could look for a cheapie roundtrip to Singapore or KL, which'd work fine.

Mac

• Like 1

It is 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at any land border crossing. That could be 1 from Laos and 1 from Cambodia.

Your best option is to get a single entry tourist visa.

Due to health issues, I can't fly for awhile. Has to be a land run. Am I safe to assume then that 2 land runs per year max combined, regardless of which border it is?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at any land border crossing. That could be 1 from Laos and 1 from Cambodia.

Your best option is to get a single entry tourist visa.

So, I can go to Cambodia and come back... but only get 30 days, right?

1 minute ago, B0nkers said:

So, I can go to Cambodia and come back... but only get 30 days, right?

No

You will not be allowed to enter the country at any land border crossing unless you have a valid visa for entry.

Why don't you make a trip to Vientiane and get a single entry tourist visa. That would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. You apply the morning of one day and pick up your passport with visa in it the next afternoon.

• Like 1

The entry limit only applies to visa exempt entry (without a visa). You will have two more available from 1st Jan '18.

There is no set limit on the amount of times you can enter with a Tourist visa. A Tourist visa, for your next entry, will give you almost 3 months with an extension, and will see you into next year. 

Oh, I got this backwards I think. 

I thought we were allowed 2x 60 day visas per year using land travel

Are you guys saying that 60 day visa is unlimited, plus extension? 

8 minutes ago, B0nkers said:

Correct, the restriction applies only to visa exempt entries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, B0nkers said:

Yes we are.

Only visa exempt entries are limited to 2 a year.

1 hour ago, B0nkers said:

Yes.

However, you need to be aware that embassies/consulates limit the number of Tourist visas they will issue to you. For example the Embassy in Vientiane will probably only issue you 3/4 before warning you that you might not get anymore visas from them.

So living in Thailand long term, using Tourist visas, requires trawling the embassies/consulates in SE Asia to get around the limits.

As long as you have a valid visa you should have no problem with unlimited entries.

Edited by elviajero

OK thanks everyone. My confusion seems warranted as I also did not quite understand the terminology. The immigration lady mentioned to me about the 2 crossings per year rule, so I assumed she was referring to the 60 day tourist visa. As it seems that is not the case, there IS indeed a limitation on that visa that IS dependent on each border and probably at the whim of the office on any given day. It seems there is no written rule known on this.

I wonder now, would this warning be for a calendar year? If not, it would seem one would run out of countries eventually that border Thailand to max out their allotted 60 day tourist visa? Maybe give you a couple years stay a best with extensions

46 minutes ago, B0nkers said:

As it seems that is not the case, there IS indeed a limitation on that visa that IS dependent on each border and probably at the whim of the office on any given day. It seems there is no written rule known on this.

There is no limit on entries at land border crossing or by air if you have a valid  visa for entry to the country.

The only limit is on for visa exempt entries at land border crossing.

I think you confused the comment about getting the visas issued at embassies and consulates being limited with entries to the country.

Well I don't think it matters by land or air. Recently(this month) my friend flew to Malaysia to get a visa and came back through DMK and was denied entry because he had used up 2 visa runs, over 180 days...

My suggestion is to go to the local immigration and go through them or inquire before your visa expires so in case you run into that problem, you can prepare better than my friend who had to go back to Denmark because he was surprised.