ghworker2010

Using Google maps in Thailand is a bad idea

We were driving around an area of Thailand in between Chantanburi and Isan recently and couldn't believe how unreliable google maps was. We had a fold out map with us and knew the route anyway. Google maps is absolutely rubbish and suggests the long way round for sure- eg. turn left when the correct way is right etc..... I categorically would NOT use it or rely on it if driving around Thailand. Maybe its ok for central Bangkok but as soon as your out of the city forget it. It will add hours to your trip if you rely on it driving in the country. Same goes for the crap GPS in my pickup truck. Its just as bad. 

cheers

9 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Is it possible to be screwing up due to weak 4g signal?

I am uncertain what your post says.

Do you mean the location displayed on your mobile was inaccurate ("way off")?

And how much?

The main basis for locating is the GPS (satellite) signal, which can indeed be bad in a train wagon and can lead to poor accuracy.

4G mobile phone signal can only be used as an addition to enhance/speed up locating.

This would also not be related to Google maps but a smartphone "problem".

• Like 1

I only use Google in Bangkok / Thailand. When driving overseas I use Sygic out of town as it tells me speed limits and very good with with lane assist , but still switch back to Google in big towns

Google in Bangkok is heaven sent - very good in finding best way thru jams

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The only problem I have with Google Map is that the road numbers and names are always displayed in some tiny fonts no matter how much you zoom in.

I learned to use the "Windows Magnifier" :smile:

• Like 1

has OP considered that the Google Maps is making deducts after it has considered the 'Traffic' situation at the time?

I always have 2 different GPS setups in the dash

I have a Nuvi running for the usual Plotting and ETAs, and

the other running Google Maps, that I have to solely display the 'corrected' Routes and ETAs, that takes (Traffic) into Consideration.

The Google mapper is continuously offering alternative routing options whenever it detects and displays:

Good (green) , Slow (yellow) and Stopped (Red) traffic ahead

I wonder how many don't realise how the Google Traffic is actively parasiting info from the google based phones in almost every car surrounding you, and along your intended route?

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

The only times Google Maps fails me are when I forget to turn on the Location feature (doh!), and when I'm downtown and the GPS signals bounce off the mirror windowed skyscrapers.

I can't imagine any GPS navigation programs that are 100% reliable, but I sure hate to think of what driving in Thailand was like for a noob before there was GPS.  I don't take the pickup out of my neighborhood without the GPS.

• Like 1

I have tried many other map apps including paid versions and always come back to Google. Granted, you do occasionally get told to turn left into somebody's backyard, or 'slight right' can actually mean make a U-turn, but on the whole I trust it. When I bought my first GPS years ago the first thing I learnt was that it didn't have a brain. Same goes for any navigation system.

• Like 1