ghworker2010

Using Google maps in Thailand is a bad idea

Did a tour of Thailand of about 5000km in June/July using Google Maps. It seems to have learned how fast I drive compared to everyone else (not fast, but slightly quicker than average) and so its anticipated arrival time is pretty much spot on. Directions around Bangkok were great, helped avoid traffic brilliantly. I just wish the hotel finding feature was better. A few more years...

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 10:57 PM, naboo said:

I just wish the hotel finding feature was better. A few more years...

Since Google Earth/Maps are at least partially monetized by selling advertising to hotels and other attractions, I suspect the issue isn't GE/M so much as hotels that haven't paid to be included (or perhaps featured) on the POI database. 

I'm amazed at how many points of interest I can find.  But you're right.  It can be hit and miss.

One tip that has been real handy for me is to use the navigation function, then save each journey to my smartphone home screen.  Slowly, I've built a folder on my Home screen that has a couple of dozen locations and all I have to do is click an icon to have Google Maps show me the way.  Saves a ton of time over drilling down through the search function every time.

Mostly I find Google Maps ok, sometimes little annoying directions are displayed.

While we're discussing this, does anybody know how I can locate my exact GPS position please?:smile:

I can't quite seem to obtain it. 

Probably finger trouble..:laugh:

In Bangkok, Google Maps seem to direct you to the Expressway, even if that means 20 minutes stuck in traffic getting to the Expressway, then just 2 km of Expressway before you're directed to come off!  Sometimes I choose the 'avoid Expressways' option to find an alternative, often quicker, route.  The GPS signal is also an issue when driving under the BTS, so this can effect accuracy.

Before Google Maps I used the 'ask the nearest motorcycle taxi guy' method - and that's still a valid option if Google is playing up.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Since Google Earth/Maps are at least partially monetized by selling advertising to hotels and other attractions, I suspect the issue isn't GE/M so much as hotels that haven't paid to be included (or perhaps featured) on the POI database. 

I'm amazed at how many points of interest I can find.  But you're right.  It can be hit and miss.

One tip that has been real handy for me is to use the navigation function, then save each journey to my smartphone home screen.  Slowly, I've built a folder on my Home screen that has a couple of dozen locations and all I have to do is click an icon to have Google Maps show me the way.  Saves a ton of time over drilling down through the search function every time.

I use Google Bookmarks which is also on my home screen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, faraday said:

Mostly I find Google Maps ok, sometimes little annoying directions are displayed.

While we're discussing this, does anybody know how I can locate my exact GPS position please?:smile:

If you right click on the screen on a PC at least you will get your present coordinates. (Blue dot).

Otherwise you can use a free all like GPS fix, which works even without internet connection. You can add the coordinates to your notes or send it per Email, Facebook or whatever.

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2017 at 4:44 AM, faraday said:

On my Android phone, I zoom I as far as possible, touch and hold the blue dot that represents my position. The GPS coordinates are then shown at the top of he screen.

• Thanks 1

The only issue I've had with Google maps, is that outside of towns it has often taken me down sealed roads which soon become unsealed dirt roads and usually impassable in anything other than a 4x4!

I imagine this is an issue with the local map data Google is using, failing to distinguish suitable road surfaces.

I have driven about 250,000km in Thailand over 5 years, and use GM all the time, as a result of using it I became a “local guide” so I could help with bringing the map quality up, there is a long way to go and Thailand is a big place, but for sure it’s better than a paper map, having read most of the comments on this post, I think the area most problematical is in the rural areas where sometimes a dirt track may appear in a main route, in my experience and I live in the country, you need to be cautious. I have tried to have some of these changed without much success.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

17 hours ago, colinchaffers said:

I have driven about 250,000km in Thailand over 5 years, and use GM all the time, as a result of using it I became a “local guide” so I could help with bringing the map quality up, there is a long way to go and Thailand is a big place, but for sure it’s better than a paper map, having read most of the comments on this post, I think the area most problematical is in the rural areas where sometimes a dirt track may appear in a main route, in my experience and I live in the country, you need to be cautious. I have tried to have some of these changed without much success.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

When I bought my first GPS unit, the first thing I learnt was that TOmtom doesn't have a brain. Same thing goes for Google maps or any other nav app. On a road I use once a year it tells me to turn left into someone's garden, then carries on as though nothing had happened. In Bangkok I have been told to do a 'slight right' when actually a U-turn was coming up, etc. They also insist that my village is 6Km away from where it actually is, I have told them a few times over the years.

But it sure beats the days of having a map spread out on your knees. which surely falls down when you change gear, gets picked up upside down, etc. Much less dangerous to use a mapping app.

• Like 1