BANGKOK 22 October 2018 02:40
ghworker2010

Using Google maps in Thailand is a bad idea

On 8/3/2018 at 1:34 PM, mtls2005 said:

I meant to say, "...here in Thailand".

Caching off-line maps is available in other countries obviously, and this feature was available here ages ago (officially, and via some hacks), and was just made officially available here again as of last week.

Most of the articles announcing this feature are in Thai. 

I seem to remember that Offline Maps weren't available for Bangkok. Still the case?

7 hours ago, cooked said:

I seem to remember that Offline Maps weren't available for Bangkok. Still the case?

Now, they are available. I downloaded the map for Bangkok and nearby areas yesterday for offline use.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with Google maps.

Just plot your route and don't use it to guide you  or plan the route for you.

Sorted.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 7:27 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Moved to Maps... GPS... forum.

I am using Google Maps and HERE regularly on the PC.

Google Maps might have minor issues and the maps of the PC version have poor readability (bad color/contrast and the class/importance of roads is hard to distinguish).

But for such heavy statements like in the OP you should bring some concrete examples (" It will add hours to your trip ").

I could hardly find errors in roads of first to third class (one to three digit road numbers).

For better readable street maps I use HERE WeGo.

https://wego.here.com/

I use both as well only had any one issue where google maps told me to turn make a U turn right where all the construction was going on so just found another spot to make but all in all both work well in Thailand for as much as I use them.

I put in Korat to Vientiane, and it suggested an 11-hour odyssey instead of what I thought would be the most direct route up Highway 2. NakhonR>KK>Udon>Nong Khai.   I tried Dongphosy, Laos just over the border thinking it might recognize that but again, routed me way over by Nakhon Phanom to cross the border, then up and around to Dongphosy.  Weird.   

image.png.1857c6d0150ceae579659862f9bb8524.png

I put in Korat to Vientiane, and it suggested an 11-hour odyssey instead of what I thought would be the most direct route up Highway 2. NakhonR>KK>Udon>Nong Khai.   I tried Dongphosy, Laos just over the border thinking it might recognize that but again, routed me way over by Nakhon Phanom to cross the border, then up and around to Dongphosy.  Weird.   

image.png.1857c6d0150ceae579659862f9bb8524.png
In my experience and I've used GM a lot, normally the proposed routing is correct in so much that it's a dynamic system and takes into account traffic conditions. You can of course go your intuitive way and see if you come out ok, bear in mind it's a computer so even if you're preferred route is a minute slower it won't be selected.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Results on a Friday, when everyone is leaving Bangkok, will be very different from Sunday night, when everyone is going back. I have seen 20Km queues. It'll be much the same for Khon Kaen I guess, I once had a hour to get away from the place.

Vietnam does not yet seem to be mapped well.

How are the roads that would be the shortest way from the Vietnamese point across the river from Nong Khai to Vientiane?

I see that one possibility would be to split the trip into two parts.

Part 1: Nakhon Ratchasima to Nong Khai

Part 2: [Point on the map] to Vientiane

20180928 Vientiane.jpg