rooster59

Thai road carnage: A MILLION injuries and 24,000 deaths per year, official admits

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

For most Thaivisa members this is an opportunity to vent their erroneous beliefs that Thai people are inherently stupid.

Just because a TV member drives.. or drove.....everyone is suddenly an expert on road safety..... or what they erroneously consider to be “road safety”

The drink drive lobby puts it all down to alcohol the speeding lobby claims speed, yet they all overlook the elephant in the room which is the entire driving environment.

If this was introduced into the UK the death rates and figures would immediately rise to be the same........

Passing a test does not make you a great driver, driving for 20 years without an accident doesn’t either. Driving a truck doesn’t either - it is studying road safety that makes the difference and as most people don’t even recognize it as a “thing” how can they be expected to comment.

Just look a the comments on this this they are almost all about a driving, mostly cars or motorbikes with no reference whatsoever to the road environment or other road users or government policies - just glib sound-bites about drivers who are drunk...... it doesn’t even approach the problem.

What makes roads safe is government regulation.

Build safe roads design them in a way that prevents idiot driving.

Build and use safer vehicles (805 in Thailand are vulnerable road users)

Enforce laws - to do this you need to train the police and BUILD PROPER ROADS

Train drivers and OTHER ROAD USERS - not just for a test - learning road safety is a life long process - learning how to drive is not learning road safety.

Provide a proper emergency service - lord knows how many people die from insufficient medical attention in Thailand.

...and finally set up and train a body to examine measure categorize and analyze every single accident fatal or otherwise so that we can learn how these things really happen.

If the Thai authorities embrace ALL those points then they will make progress - otherwise they are just rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic

All valid points, but, as I remember, the Titanic sank on its maiden voyage

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

Yes my friend, or if you like QUITE

But lets deal with reality shall we, as in lets deal with what we have

The type of vehicle would not play anywhere as such a big part as you think

IF and there is that word IF again if the word RESPECT for other road users was more in evidence in Thailand than it actually is

I may agree with you if I didn't pass a hundred foreigners every day in Bangkok who've gone native and drive exactly like the locals.  Wrong way, on the shoulder, no helmet, weaving lanes, and everything.  Their nationality didn't change.  Their driver's training and decades of experience back home can't be unlearned.  In fact, about the only difference is the lack of enforcement.  Human nature will have people acting in a way that maximizes the perceived benefit to them.  When there's no enforcement, saving a few seconds looks like a benefit, and accidents don't happen often enough to change that perception.  Unlike getting pulled over back home...

And I can't fathom why anyone would claim that the type of vehicle wouldn't play a role, since it was studies in the USA and Australia that show a scooter is 20-40x as hazardous per km driven than a 4 wheel vehicle with steel all around and seatbelts.  You can drive a scooter safer than the  nimrod in the next lane, but you can't drive a scooter safer than you can drive a 4 wheeled vehicle.  Wearing a helmet is like putting on a condom to boink a crack whore.  Sure, it's a good idea.  If you just have to boink a crack whore, or you can't afford 4 wheels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

The "environment" has nothing to do with that!

The road from Sisaket to Ubon is a nice stretch of asphalt with 4 lanes all the way, plus bikes lanes on the sides.

And yet there are countless accidents.

Among the most frequent cases are the drivers who fall asleep at the wheel and go crash while driving on a stretch of straight road with no obstacles whatsoever.

Yet, there is the pure lack of brains...such as this guy who, in the night, was crossing this same 4 lane road while pushing his motorbike! I and another driver had to jump on the brakes not to hit him at full speed!

Then there is this other one who came from a small dirt road and crossed directly in front of wife, just to go crash himself against a big truck that was coming on the other side of the road!

He lost his leg in the process.

Children 12 years old, with no licence obviously, ride a bike with no helmet to go to my son's school!

And I could go on with countless examples which I have witnessed firsthand.

Don't put the blame for this disaster on the roads, the police or whatever...it is first and foremost the result of a totally irresponsible behavior from the population!

They don't care! I know, I speak to them about it, only to see them keeping on doing as they please, no matter the consequences!

You see this is exactly what we're up against total ignorance of road safety.

That road is a death trap - poorly designed without proper armco too straight...it is a classic example of a dangerous road yet the average TV punter just doesn't understand even the basics.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Multiply 1,700 times 20-40X as dangerous for scooters and see where you end up.

Here are some statistics you can comb through ... 73% of fatalities are on 2/3 wheeled vehicles.

http://www.searo.who.int/thailand/areas/roadsafety/en/

The death rate quoted in the OP looks fairly certain, not sure about the injury numbers though.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sirbergan said:

There is no way 1 out of 68 people are injured in vehicle accidents every year. No way!

#fakenews

I think it depends on what you mean by injured.

I meet hundreds of Thais every week and believe me, many of them have been involved in some kind of road accident. Maybe not always serious, but I am really amazed at the number.

Not only that, but I seem to meet a lot of people who have a family member or friend that has been killed in a road accident.

When I lived in England I think I know of maybe 10 - 20 people involved in accidents and only one death.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely abhorrent. The sheer stupidity of a decent % of those behind the wheel / handlebars is the chief culprit.

The cops are too lazy and inept to do anything, but it is a gargantuan task that without any huge smartening of the population will only look worse in future years.

Incidentally went to Cambodia recently and the driving standards and attitudes there are even more pathetic than here 😩

Three things to stop the carnage and they are deterrent, deterrent, deterrent.

They need to hit them v hard in the pocket and throw in some jail time and bans.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I may agree with you if I didn't pass a hundred foreigners every day in Bangkok who've gone native and drive exactly like the locals.  Wrong way, on the shoulder, no helmet, weaving lanes, and everything.  Their nationality didn't change.  Their driver's training and decades of experience back home can't be unlearned.  In fact, about the only difference is the lack of enforcement.  Human nature will have people acting in a way that maximizes the perceived benefit to them.  When there's no enforcement, saving a few seconds looks like a benefit, and accidents don't happen often enough to change that perception.  Unlike getting pulled over back home...

And I can't fathom why anyone would claim that the type of vehicle wouldn't play a role, since it was studies in the USA and Australia that show a scooter is 20-40x as hazardous per km driven than a 4 wheel vehicle with steel all around and seatbelts.  You can drive a scooter safer than the  nimrod in the next lane, but you can't drive a scooter safer than you can drive a 4 wheeled vehicle.  Wearing a helmet is like putting on a condom to boink a crack whore.  Sure, it's a good idea.  If you just have to boink a crack whore, or you can't afford 4 wheels.

I basically agree with you that the kind of vehicle makes a difference, but it is speed and bad driving that are the main factors regardless; the two being synonyms in this context.  Impact speed largely determines mortality rate.  It's Thai mentality regarding driving that needs to change.  Motor bikes are dangerous, even more so when ridden by young men.  Fatalities would decrease if people were in cars, but there would still be an unusually high incidence of crashes imo.

I also think that when one takes to the Thai roads on a motor bike, it's actually more dangerous to observe the highway code,eg, stopping at a zebra crossing as soon as a pedestrian puts a foot on it, increases the chances of being hit from behind by the Thai riders who aren't expecting it.

Edited by mommysboy

Its a hypocrisy I face, I enjoy the non nanny state conditions here, but i am still shocked, enraged and in disbelief of how so many drive here...I meticulously plan my trips to avoid certain times and certain routes. You can meet the nicest Thai person ever who instantly becomes a stock car driver on the roads. 

2 minutes ago, kaorop said:

Its a hypocrisy I face, I enjoy the non nanny state conditions here, but i am still shocked, enraged and in disbelief of how so many drive here...I meticulously plan my trips to avoid certain times and certain routes. You can meet the nicest Thai person ever who instantly becomes a stock car driver on the roads. 

What do you mean by nanny state in this instance- do you mean the highway code?

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

What do you mean by nanny state in this instance- do you mean the highway code?

Punitive and extensive fine systems in many western countries that are more about revenue than safety.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poyai111 said:

By far the greatest component of these road deaths is the motorcyclist component - in excess of 30% -over 20 per day! A scorched earth policy to reduce their anarchy would be desirable and effective if the police were to be effectively motivated.

Try 80% of the deaths are on motorbikes and the vast majority are young men. 

4 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I think you need to post a link to where the Thais do not count a death in  hospital from a road accident on the death toll or stop regurgitating bar stool nonsense. 

Well true or not they are fudging the numbers and it wouldnt suprise to find that its also sanctioned at that level of reporting, so it matters little and can you prove they do include them. No. 

Edited by kaorop

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

yet the average TV punter just doesn't understand even the basics.

Hmm . . that should get them going. Take cover, chaps!