Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
torrzent

how to say "lightly cooked" morning glory in thai

54 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Yes you're rightemoji3.png.
That NIT in NITnoy, isn't that a final dor dek? Does that dor dek change to a tor tahan?

Dor dek after vowel = "T" sound.

(End consonants are all changed to sound as one of G,K,N,M, P, W, Y, T)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

May I respectfully suggest that KPT endings are represented that way to show the position of the the mouth parts at the end of the syllable. It shouldn’t be possible to differentiate between t and d, k and g etc. endings because they are not sounded. They are ‘dead endings’ unlike m,n, ng which are live endings where the sounds are made.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tgeezer said:

It shouldn’t be possible to differentiate between t and d, k and g etc. endings because they are not sounded.

They are "sounded" as you put it.  But they're not released.  This makes it a bit challenging for native English speakers to hear the difference, but it's most definitely there.  In IPA terms, it's the difference between /k/ (ก initial) and /k̚/ (ก final).

• Like 1

Oxx, I am responding to two posters who are disgussing the difference between ท and ด endings by pointing out that it shouldn’t be possible to tell the difference and the reason for it.

2 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Oxx, I am responding to two posters who are disgussing the difference between ท and ด endings by pointing out that it shouldn’t be possible to tell the difference and the reason for it.

Apology accepted.

Surely..'.mai dtong suk mahk (gern bpai)'  is enough cos that's what I use at home a lot.  ,,,,don't cook too much!

Of course its good enough to explain what you want done with your veg. For those of us who speak some Thai it is interesting to find associated words and their relationship to one another. It is quite a novelty to hear foriegners speaking English using their native language constructions and I am sure that in the same way Thais are amused by us speaking Thai.

I thought what I quoted above was correct Thai and not a native language construction........ In my house only Thai is spoken as no one understands any English at all!

I thought what I quoted above was correct Thai and not a native language construction........ In my house only Thai is spoken as no one understands any English at all!

I am sure that you are correct, If you have noone who speaks English you are in a very good position, you cannot help but learn Thai ‘as she is spoken’. It is annoying to me when I ask about something and what I get in explanation is in English. Why not try ผัดพอสลด? Ask what it means, I would be interested to know if it means anything to people in your house.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I will try this tomorrow when my housekeeper cooks my Brussels sprouts which can NOT be overcooked!!!!!
Put them in the blender...problem solved, fancy cooking Brussels sprouts.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I love Brussels too, probably to be contrary. She might well not cook them in wok so ‘put’(ผัด) won’t apply. The important word is ‘poh’ (พอ) .

carlyai, can they be eaten blendid? I remember last year a chap asking for a blendid drink, I think that the verb used was ‘ban’ ปัน, as in peddling a bike, ปันจักรยาน.

Just looked it up; needs ไม้เอก >ปั่น

No...he's joking...obviously hates Brussels..... probably because they've always been so overcooked for him