Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Elkski

Thailand or Philippines? Who has been to both?

On 12/7/2017 at 9:25 AM, Gruff said:

Get on a bus (even close to tourist areas) and you are likely to be the only white guy either in Thailand or Phils. Both countries the local transport is lkely to be filled with Nationals, so unlke modern Western cities. The reality is that a white guy or girl will 'stick out' more in Thailand or Phils than a Thai or Filipino would in London

That's true - most have their own, or have arranged for private tranportation/rentals....

The trains seem to be about 50/50.....Planes are a coin toss....

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

That's true - most have their own, or have arranged for private tranportation/rentals....

The trains seem to be about 50/50.....Planes are a coin toss....

Absolutely not buses, trains and planes in Phils or Thailand a high predominance of Nationals

1 hour ago, Gruff said:

Absolutely not buses, trains and planes in Phils or Thailand a high predominance of Nationals

I'm used to the trains from CM so it's backpacker stew there.....

FIL/MIL are in the midlands so when I don't drive they'll take the train for family visits.....

4 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm used to the trains from CM so it's backpacker stew there.....

FIL/MIL are in the midlands so when I don't drive they'll take the train for family visits.....

It brings back memories of the Bangkok / CM night train that cluttered along for ever and always arrived a few hours late. I used to love the buffet car environment with windows wide open, warm night air and cool beer. Admittedly mainly other foreigners  in the buffet car as i guess food and drink too expensive for most Thais. 

2 hours ago, Gruff said:

It brings back memories of the Bangkok / CM night train that cluttered along for ever and always arrived a few hours late. I used to love the buffet car environment with windows wide open, warm night air and cool beer. Admittedly mainly other foreigners  in the buffet car as i guess food and drink too expensive for most Thais. 

Watched a conga line come dancing into the "bar" car once upon a time....

Somebody a few cars back started it & people jumped in along the way....

Fun stuff.... 

10 hours ago, Gruff said:

They bought food from the vendors who wandered through the train at different stops. Pretty good quality and dirt cheap.

The islands in the Sulu sea are a definite no-go area for foreigners, there isn't much south of Puerto Princesa anyway. Back in May when I visited, there was a security alert on and island hopping tours from Coron were cancelled. There was an increased security presence with thorough checks before boarding the ferry back to Manila.

I never felt concerned in either Coron or PP. There was an attack on a dive resort in 2001 in which foreigners were kidnapped. Keeping up to date with the latest news and warnings would be well advised, along with the usual precautions.

I have been to LOS over 10 times.  I feel very happy and energetic in LOS.  Love the food, love the girls, love the people in general (when they are not trying to scam me).  I don't have any issues with the TG and English.  If they don's speak we figure it out, but that is so rare.   

Around my 7th trip, I ventured to PI for about a week. While there I tried to be positive.  I loved the girls.  To me, the PI girls were similar to the TG except less mechanical. They were good at GFE but I get a lot of that from the TG's too. 

The deal breaker for me is the poverty in Manilla, Angeles City, and Subic Bay was too much for me.  I could not get over how bad it is. 

Coincidentally this popped up today on a FB cooking group from some PI expats.....

I've written about them (NPA) before in this thread.....

Basically organized thugs for hire.....If you want a problem or person to go away - they handle that for you....Want a maid or houseboy - they go the the barrios & find what you want, all options are available for a fee + further/future owed favors for handling it.....They are everywhere & basically sink into woodwork but are always on tap.....In between extorting/collecting taxes or protection money from the locals....

There is always the ominous  presence of very real danger everywhere in the PI....

Screenshot_2017-12-11-15-15-46-49.png

Screenshot_2017-12-11-15-19-48-19.png

• Like 1