Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Jimjim1968

6 Year waiver is up. What can I do?

I have 18 months left before my waiver is up. Then, if I want to teach in a school, I would have to do a course (2 years, 250,000B +)

I have a wife and child (Thai) and nearly 50.

I'm trying to weigh up my options;

1. Do the course.

2. Teach in a language center or online.

3. Move to another country.

It's a really tough situation to be in. I've been teaching here for 15+ years.

Grateful for any pointers.

24 minutes ago, aidenai said:

1 year of study and costs about 60,000 THB.

That is good news. I was quoted from Assumption University of Thailand.

Do you have details for this?

I do have savings and my wife is a government teacher. The option does exist that she opens a language center and I work for her, as some friends have done. It's far from a lost cause. And I still have 18 months to prepare.

Also these days online teaching is paying more than a lot of school salaries.

I have always enjoyed teaching here and I have always been happy here. The school secretary spent a lot of her own time investigating this ( she is an ex-PA and very switched on). Many people believe it only to government schools, but it is private schools as well. And some friends in other parts of the country seem to not be applicable to this as yet.

It was always the policy that persons who have been teaching in Thailand since before 2003 can get a teaching license based on that. Does that policy no longer exist?  You do would need to do the infamous Thai Cultural course, but that is it.

• Like 1

It sounds like you really enjoy teaching and it's probably better if you don't have to uproot your family.  Do the course, relax and continue enjoying your life.  

• Like 1

Well you should have known that it wouldn't last,maybe it is time to look for a REAL Job,,,,Easy street has a dead end,,,,,

59 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Well you should have known that it wouldn't last,maybe it is time to look for a REAL Job,,,,Easy street has a dead end,,,,,

You mean, something really manly, where you can build those muscles and develop a knuckle head while making loads of money to stash away until you can drink it away in retirement?

I agree, far better than helping upcountry kids whose families have little money towards a better future.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

38 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

You mean, something really manly, where you can build those muscles and develop a knuckle head while making loads of money to stash away until you can drink it away in retirement?

I agree, far better than helping upcountry kids whose families have little money towards a better future.

Or maybe he means that a REAL job is something you hate doing and makes you want to stay in bed. It's not a REAL job if you're happy doing it?????

• Thanks 2