Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
onera1961

Entering Thailand with More than 50000 baht Thai Currency

I visit Thailand two/three times a year. Last time when I left Thailand I had around 60K baht (Thai currency) with me.

Is it safe to enter Thailand with 60K baht (Thai currency) in my next visit  from USA with a US passport. What is the limit?

There's no limit to the amount of Thai currency you bring in. However, if bringing in the aggregate equivalent of US$20,000 and greater in foreign currency, it must be declared on arrival. Your 60k baht is totally non-declarable.

• Like 1

Thanks.

On IATA page, I see this

Local currency: up to THB 50,000.- per person or THB 100,000.- per family holding one passport.
Foreign currencies: unlimited. However, amounts of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000.- (or equivalent) must be declared to a Customs Officer upon arrival by all travelers.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

I was quoting from the official AoT page for Suvarnabhumi airport so may be fraught with the wrong advice. To be on the safe side, just leave 10k at home. Or change it to US$ before you leave home or at a forex booth in the baggage claim area before you clear Customs?

The only place to get the correct answer to the OP's question is the Bank of Thailand's Exchange Control Regulations that specifically state, "There is no restriction on the amount of Thai baht bank notes that may be brought into the country".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Thanks.

On IATA page, I see this

Local currency: up to THB 50,000.- per person or THB 100,000.- per family holding one passport.

That is wrong.

• Like 1

If you are required to declare it how can you penalized for bringing it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's also new to me that there is a limit to bring in (import) Thai Baht.

Even IATA is not free from making (copy/paste?) errors.

I would NOT exchange Thai Baht in the US.

No need.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's also new to me that there is a limit to bring in (import) Thai Baht.

Even IATA is not free from making (copy/paste?) errors.

I would NOT exchange Thai Baht in the US.

No need.

"It's also new to me that there is a limit to bring in (import) Thai Baht".

There isn't a limit.

The regulations state that you can bring in to Thailand an unlimited amount of THB or a Foreign Currency, however amounts over 20,000 USD or equivalent must be declared upon arrival.

However, departing, unless you are travelling to a neighbouring country, then you are not allowed to take out more than 50,000 THB in cash, you are allowed to take out foreign currency exceeding that amount, again above 20,000 USD or equivalent needs to be declared.

So OP, you can bring back the THB that technically you should not have taken out in the first place :smile:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mattd said:

The regulations state that you can bring in to Thailand an unlimited amount of THB or a Foreign Currency, however amounts over 20,000 USD or equivalent must be declared upon arrival.

However, departing, unless you are travelling to a neighbouring country, then you are not allowed to take out more than 50,000 THB in cash, you are allowed to take out foreign currency exceeding that amount, again above 20,000 USD or equivalent needs to be declared.

So OP, you can bring back the THB that technically you should not have taken out in the first place :smile:

I think that Mattd is correct. Customs "might" try to claim that you couldn't bring B60,000 into Thailand legally if you hadn't taken it out of the country illegally. But as long as you have 2 or more exit stamps from Thailand, you can claim that it is a total amount from 2 or more earlier trips, and you should be fine. You could also claim that part of the Baht that you are bringing back Baht into Thailand is to help a friend who had more than B10,000 from an earlier trip. Either way, you have very little if anything to be concerned about bringing B60,000 into Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Customs "might" try to claim that you couldn't bring B60,000 into Thailand legally if you hadn't taken it out of the country illegally.

I do not think (nor was I implying) that this will be an issue at all, as stated there is no restriction on the amount of THB cash that a person can legally bring in to the country, only amounts over the equivalent of 20,000 USD would have to be declared.

Even in the extremely unlikely event that customs stopped the OP, then it is even less likely that they would ask and even if they did, then the OP can always say he exchanged the money in the overseas airport prior to travelling.

... or, if you're that concerned, you could just send it over to a Thai bank account before you arrive.  If you haven't got a Thai bank account, go and get one.  

I always send money over before I arrive as I hate the thought of losing it in transit.  Voila. 

22 hours ago, Here It Is said:

... or, if you're that concerned, you could just send it over to a Thai bank account before you arrive.  If you haven't got a Thai bank account, go and get one.  

I always send money over before I arrive as I hate the thought of losing it in transit.  Voila. 

We are talking about Baht. I am not aware of any bank outside Thailand that will accept Thai Baht for any reason/purpose, even to send by wire transfer to a Thai bank in Thailand. You send Dollars/Euros/Pounds to Thailand, which are converted on arrival (unless you specifically request otherwise) into Baht. You do not (and cannot) "send" Thai Baht. 

To the OP -- bring the Baht with you, in cash, and don't worry about it. You will have no problem.