Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
onera1961

Entering Thailand with More than 50000 baht Thai Currency

31 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

We are talking about Baht. I am not aware of any bank outside Thailand that will accept Thai Baht for any reason/purpose, even to send by wire transfer to a Thai bank in Thailand. You send Dollars/Euros/Pounds to Thailand, which are converted on arrival (unless you specifically request otherwise) into Baht. You do not (and cannot) "send" Thai Baht. 

To the OP -- bring the Baht with you, in cash, and don't worry about it. You will have no problem.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:26 PM, onera1961 said:

Thanks NanLaew for the good idea. To be on safe side. I will change excess of 50K to USD

23 hours ago, Here It Is said:

I always send money over before I arrive as I hate the thought of losing it in transit.  Voila. 

Where did I mention that the OP sends Thai Baht?  Read the thread more thoroughly.

The OP stated his intent to change the excess to USD, so he could potentially change it all up and wire USD to LOS.  I also mentioned the possibility of losing money in transit.

This is a forum where all ideas are encouraged as you never know what the viewers will pick off the bones.

Edited by Here It Is

You didn't mention anything about the need to make an over 10K currency  declatation from the  country of orgin.      I personally wouldn't be concerned about the whole matter  but since I'm  not a criminal, drug dealer or  scoffaw  I wouldn't be nervious when going through customs

NanLaew

•  
  •  
  •  
  • Advanced Members
  • 17,743 posts

There's no limit to the amount of Thai currency you bring in. However, if bringing in the aggregate equivalent of US$20,000 and greater in foreign currency, it must be declared on arrival. Your 60k baht is totally non-declarable.

•  

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

There's no limit to the amount of Thai currency you bring in. However, if bringing in the aggregate equivalent of US$20,000 and greater in foreign currency, it must be declared on arrival. Your 60k baht is totally non-declarable.

Conversely, I'm unsure what the rules are on declaring USD or any other currency on departing the US but departing the UK is equivalent of EUR 10k.  Why Euro equivalent is anyone's guess.

I had the sniffer dog on me leaving the UK about five years ago but was under the declarable amount so the police let me board with no further issue.  

Anyway, and as I previously mentioned, I gave up carrying large quantities of cash to LOS shortly thereafter as I didn't want to lose such a large quantity of money in transit and with the advent of f/x accounts the exchange rates are extremely favourable.

Edited by Here It Is

Spot on..

"This is a forum where all ideas are encouraged as you never know what the viewers will pick off the bones."