Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
davejonesbkk

UK passport for Thai-UK baby

Im just looking at the docs required for getting a passport for our newborn son and want to confirm a few things:

Parents birth certificates - do these need to be the originals or are copies ok? Obviously mine is in the UK so Im hoping I can have a scan emailed to me.

Mothers birth certificate - so my wife says that birth certificates are not kept once I child has grown as they have national ID cards, is this true? I just called the UK passport office in Belfast and they said that a signed letter would be needed to state that or something?

Also, my birth certificate doesnt have the same name due to my parents getting divorced later, the UK office said I need to get a 'statutory declaration' which is then signed by a solicitor, has anyone here ever had to do this?

Is a tabian baan document needed? We rent a house outside Bangkok so dont have that anyway.

Color copies of every page in mine and my wife's passports - do they really need every page including the empty ones?

Is there anything else Im missing here?

Edit: Also, do translations of things like marriage certificates need to be approved by someone? I read something about recognised translation services on another thread.

Edited by davejonesbkk

You will need a DNA test certificate, to prove your parentage!  Dont underestimate the dfifficulties with this process.  You may well need professional advice and support from an immigation lawyer in the UK. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

You will need a DNA test certificate, to prove your parentage! 

Rubbish!

If you are named as the father on your child's birth certificate, that is all the evidence of parentage needed.

• Like 1

Your birth certificate doesn’t have same name.... parents divorced..... ?

Are you saying that you need your parents birth certificates?

I thought your birth certificate is needed, not theirs......

or your name on your passport is different to that on your birth certificate?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

Parents birth certificates - do these need to be the originals or are copies ok? Obviously mine is in the UK so Im hoping I can have a scan emailed to me.

Originals, as copies can be altered. Remember it's your long form birth certificate you need.

2 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

Color copies of every page in mine and my wife's passports - do they really need every page including the empty ones?

Yes, empty ones too, to show that they are empty.

See the following, which combined with the advice you have already received from HMPO, should answer your questions:-

Applying for a passport from outside the UK: application form

Applying for a passport from outside the UK: how to fill in the application form

Applying for a passport from outside the UK: supporting documents (group 2)

Use the overseas tool to find the specific advice about how to apply from Thailand.

Edited by 7by7

If the mother doesn't have her birth certificate it shouldn't stop the passport being issued, as long as she has other identification. My wife is Laotian and never had a birth certificate but our son's passport was issued without any problems.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If the mother doesn't have her birth certificate it shouldn't stop the passport being issued, as long as she has other identification. My wife is Laotian and never had a birth certificate but our son's passport was issued without any problems.

Thanks, she has a Thai passport

14 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Your birth certificate doesn’t have same name.... parents divorced..... ?

Are you saying that you need your parents birth certificates?

I thought your birth certificate is needed, not theirs......

or your name on your passport is different to that on your birth certificate?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Its ok I was confused, I thought I needed my parents birth certs to prove my own nationality too.

14 minutes ago, davejonesbkk said:

Thanks, she has a Thai passport

I realise that, but I thought you'd said she doesn't have her birth certificate.

There is no need to supply your parents' birth certificates unless there is some question about your British citizenship.  The application form makes it clear when you need to provide them.  But you will need the long-form version of your own birth certificate.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

But you will need the long-form version of your own birth certificate.

This will have your parents name on it and is why it is needed.

17 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

Mothers birth certificate - so my wife says that birth certificates are not kept once I child has grown as they have national ID cards, is this true?

Absolutely not true, sounds like she has lost it, she can get a new one from the district office where she was born.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 4:47 PM, Pilotman said:

You will need a DNA test certificate, to prove your parentage!  Dont underestimate the dfifficulties with this process.  You may well need professional advice and support from an immigation lawyer in the UK. 

I never but this was over 10 years ago.

On 13/11/2017 at 7:13 PM, 7by7 said:

Rubbish!

If you are named as the father on your child's birth certificate, that is all the evidence of parentage needed.

You are wrong, as he will find out in due course.   

I don't see why. All I needed for my son's passport was the translated Thai birth certificate and my birth certificate, plus my girlfriend's ID. The passport was issued within 3 weeks.

• Like 1

There is no requirement for a DNA test as he will actually find out. 

They can be used in support of an application or to appeal a decision where the Passport Office does not believe an application. 

It is true that the British Nationality (Proof of Paternity) (Amendment) Regulations 2015 has introduced the word 'natural' before the word father therefore a DNA test may be required at an approved testing centre.

A birth certificate can be used to help establish paternity.

Quite a nasty bit of legislation really and only applies after 10th September 2015.

Probably introduced to stop blatant abuse of the system but do they refuse settlement for a child member of a family when other siblings are automatically exempt on grounds of parentage?

DNA test not required.

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Not true. Been there, done that.

• Like 2