Jump to content
Farangdanny

Border runs

Recommended Posts

Some years ago, I crossed the border at Mae Sai every three months and came straight back to get new VISA stamp. Is this still acceptable these days? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If just making a new entry on a one year visa..easy..10 USD for Myanmar.  If trying to string together 30 day visa exempt stamps..the max is two per calendar year at maesai....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BuddyDean said:

If trying to string together 30 day visa exempt stamps..the max is two per calendar year at maesai....

Has this been changed again? I thought it was only one per calendar year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Has this been changed again? I thought it was only one per calendar year?

Quite possibly...as of about six months ago, it was two, but better verify.  Also, better check on outbound ticket and 20,000 THB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BuddyDean said:

If just making a new entry on a one year visa..easy..10 USD for Myanmar.  If trying to string together 30 day visa exempt stamps..the max is two per calendar year at maesai....

Thank you. You say 'if making new entry for one year VISA'. Surely if you have one year VISA, don't need to do border, just ninety days report. I thought border run was for people who don't have VISA ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Farangdanny said:

Thank you. You say 'if making new entry for one year VISA'. Surely if you have one year VISA, don't need to do border, just ninety days report. I thought border run was for people who don't have VISA ?

 

When I had my business in Chiang Mai (2001-2011,) I was not permitted to do 90-day reports. I had to make border runs. I don't know why.  I had a registered business, work permit, and a one-year renewable visa, but I was required to make the runs to the border instead of just signing the 90-day report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Farangdanny said:

Thank you. You say 'if making new entry for one year VISA'. Surely if you have one year VISA, don't need to do border, just ninety days report. I thought border run was for people who don't have VISA ?

if on a yearly extension of stay of an entry by a non immigrant 'O'A' visa then 90 day reports are required, but a multi entry non immigrant 'O' visa ( note the missing 'A' after 'O') requires a border run after 90 days ( unless extended)to activate another 90 day entry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steve187 said:

if on a yearly extension of stay of an entry by a non immigrant 'O'A' visa then 90 day reports are required, but a multi entry non immigrant 'O' visa ( note the missing 'A' after 'O') requires a border run after 90 days ( unless extended)to activate another 90 day entry

Yes, which I think quite a few married guys do.  People doing in and outs at maesai are often those with an existing visa.  Used to be mobbed with runners getting 30s and that crackdown started more than 10 years ago, with 1,2,3 written in the passports..three max.  Tourism has suffered greatly up there, including Chiang Rai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a sign, clearly posted at the Mae Sai border immigration office that states 'no more visa runners'. I go up every few months instead of doing a 90 day report because I enjoy going to the casino in Tachilek the cheap beer in the market and Western food at the border. There are scarcely any Westerners there these days and the market and bars cater to local Thai tourists rather than Farang. Mae Sai is now somewhat down-at-heel, whereas Tachilek has a certain quiet exuberance - in an almost complete volte face from a few years ago. They readily take $10 bills as the entry fee on the Burmese side so 325 Baht entry rather than 500 Baht. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

There is a sign, clearly posted at the Mae Sai border immigration office that states 'no more visa runners'. I go up every few months instead of doing a 90 day report because I enjoy going to the casino in Tachilek the cheap beer in the market and Western food at the border. There are scarcely any Westerners there these days and the market and bars cater to local Thai tourists rather than Farang. Mae Sai is now somewhat down-at-heel, whereas Tachilek has a certain quiet exuberance - in an almost complete volte face from a few years ago. They readily take $10 bills as the entry fee on the Burmese side so 325 Baht entry rather than 500 Baht. 

If I lived up there, instead of CM, I would get the multirentry and do the same.  How does the casino compare to naga world in Phnom Penh?  Is there sports Betting?  The fake liquor at the duty free is a big turn off..but I believe that is more of a Thai scandal.  That is my fave imm officer up there with the big smile..really nice if you aren't scamming.  Glad they ended the circus..missionary families of six passing the 20,000 to other families through the fence?  They should be discouraged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

There is a sign, clearly posted at the Mae Sai border immigration office that states 'no more visa runners'. 

There are also one or two signs around Chiang Mai advocating the use of motorcycle helmets, however...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

If I lived up there, instead of CM, I would get the multirentry and do the same.  How does the casino compare to naga world in Phnom Penh?  Is there sports Betting?  The fake liquor at the duty free is a big turn off..but I believe that is more of a Thai scandal.  That is my fave imm officer up there with the big smile..really nice if you aren't scamming.  Glad they ended the circus..missionary families of six passing the 20,000 to other families through the fence?  They should be discouraged.

I've never been to Naga World in PP, but its definitely more relaxing than the casinos in Poipet. There is no sports betting at Regina where I go (great for low-rollers like me). Maybe there is at the big one a klick or tow further east. I bring a bottle or two of booze back in a rucsac each time and I have never had a fake one yet, nor have I been hassled by immigration/customs. Never witnessed your missionary story either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sharktooth said:

There are also one or two signs around Chiang Mai advocating the use of motorcycle helmets, however...

That is a misleading post. There is no connection between the two. Mae Sai/Tachilek is now a fully fledged international border. I have seen guys turned away from the border because they din't have the correct visa. When was the last time you were there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you miss the sign? Or do you have evidence that it is possible to do repeat visa runs contrary to the notice? I would hate to think of anyone depending on doing a visa run there and being turned away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 17 August 2018 04:18
Sponsors
×