Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
petesc55

Excise police visited GF and want repayment of 'first time car buyer' payout

4 minutes ago, petesc55 said:

She wasn't married to the farang who died.     

As far as I know, she wasn't a bargirl.   Married out of university, 3 kids, divorced 15 years later when her thai husband found a new GF, and has to scramble at various jobs since then, mostly working in nursing home or private care.

I've just seen the full copies of the document they brought to her house and they look legit.

What pisses me off is she admits she knew about this 3 years ago before we met.    Never mentioned a word about it.

As to your last phrase

She knew this wasn't your problem as she done this prior to your presence 

She has only mentioned it now as its turned very serious 

Get use to the last minute timing (11 th hour ) as they never seem to want us to worry - I get it all the time no matter how small the problem is (like ringing whilst back in home country working All Ok Mai, only to find out that something needs fixing

• Like 1

Well, I thought I hit the jackpot when I found a cute, funny lady who had a job, and a paid for house.

I suspected her forte wasn't financial planning before this.

:)

• Like 1

Although she may be required to repay you need documentation with regard to this

As for her going to jail This is total nonsense There is no debtors jail in Thailand This is a civil matter and as such is civil not criminal

She either does not know or is lying to you either way she is not going to jail

• Thanks 1

The 100,000 sounds like the right amount, my wife got the same and when we sold the car last month after 4 years in stead of 5 she had to pay the 100,000 Baht back.

One of the drawbacks of the first car promotion and it will hit hard of you had the car repoed because you couldn't keep up with the finance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Key thinking if there is drama now it will honestly only ever escalate. If you pay then you're the bankroll. If you don't then your a cheap BF and (not saying she will) but they will often keep you strung along till they find another. It seems lose / lose to me but either way bud I wish you the best of luck and remember there are more out there.

I think this is BS..i would like t see and this video and hear what they talk about..i speak this fluent so it would be easy

Better read the small print.

If defaulting on a "No Duty"  car purchase you  are liable to repay the outstanding balance & recompense the Government the applicable duty that would have applied

The lady has not been scammed. The deal to sell more cars to first time buyers at a discount providing they did not resell or dispose of the car within five years .Failure to do so the rebate had to be repaid  .Cars under this scheme bought on finance terms the lender kept the book for the car and insisted on first class insurance .If the car was resold the finance company would be the only ones to sell it to as they legally  held  the book as security for the loan.The lady did not meet the terms of the agreement and has to repay the discount  but should negotiate a settlement prior to the court case.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, petesc55 said:

Is this normal?   I know a lot of thais defaulted on the cars they purchased under this scheme.

I've heard about it before, that if you sell – or return – you car bought under "first time scheme" before a certain period, of some year if I remember right, then you'll have to pay back the 100,000 baht. Try to google for more details...:smile:

10 hours ago, petesc55 said:

What I can find online on the program is it provided up to a 100,000 baht rebate on qualifying vehicles.

Hard to imagine a new Vios earned the max payout?

That is correct, my wife bought a Toyota Vigo Champ and received close to a 100,000 baht cheque from the Government however if you sell under five years you have to refund the money.

Maybe defaulting on a loan and the car being repossessed constitutes selling the vehicle?

8 hours ago, petesc55 said:

She wasn't married to the farang who died.     

As far as I know, she wasn't a bargirl.   Married out of university, 3 kids, divorced 15 years later when her thai husband found a new GF, and has to scramble at various jobs since then, mostly working in nursing home or private care.

I've just seen the full copies of the document they brought to her house and they look legit.

What pisses me off is she admits she knew about this 3 years ago before we met.    Never mentioned a word about it.

To be fair on her it sounds like she reacted like many people who are in financial distress and can't find the money, they stick their head in the sand and hope the problem goes away. Hopefully she can come to a resolution with the government department and pay down the debt. Good time for her to find out who her true friends are, the ones that help when things turn to crap rather than the blowflies that hang around just for the good times.