Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Video: Thai media call for justice as "farang knocks Thai off motorcycle" - You decide!

16 hours ago, Puccini said:

The correct link to the Thai text of the Road Traffic Act is this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xuL1F4s7kCXIwiDMaJ-0qp9k-HUPjUur

This text is updated with amendments up to the Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (No. 8) of B.E. 2551 (2708). The latest amendment I have been able to find is No. 11 of 2014

I have now found the Thai text of Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 updated with amendments up to the Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (No. 10) B.E. 2557 (2714) on the website of krisdika.go.th:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rC9KJGGFvdWaE1sUhRG2x8ZauqyKFWFK

Together with the latest amendment, the Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (No. 11) B.E. 2559 (2716), this gives a complete picture, at least with the Thai text, of the currently valid Road Traffic Act. I see that section 36 has never been amended and therefore it is clear that the law requires indicating the intention to turn left or right with hand signals or with lights, as per the English translation of section 36.

Edited by Puccini
  • Like 1

Where is it that motorcycles have the right away against a vehicle?

One would hope that to be the case but...

When I see vehicles driving down a two lane road, 

they take up as much of the road as possible, 

making the motorcycle hug the curb just to get past in the opposite direction.

Vehicle giving only the smallest amount of space or in some case non at all for motorcycles to pass safely, instead of staying on the left side of the road as would be the case if two vehicles were approaching each other in the same situation.

Doesn't seem to be any consideration for people driving as one person posted, 

a small motorcycle on a road with a large truck.

Side note though,

this Mazda is a mid size pickup, 

not a full size F-150 ect.

If everyone came to a complete stop before turning left into a parking lot, 

you'd have people standing on their horns,

which would also cause issues, 

as we know how the Thai's hate to hear the sound of a horn blowing on them.

Though I have yet to witness anyone coming to a complete stop,

before making a left turn as was posted by Peterw42 to be a thai practice.

I rarely, if ever see Thai's come to a complete stop even when they are entering a main road, 

even if there's a stop sign,

they just enter at will, 

assuming that others will see them, 

and allow them to enter into the ongoing traffic.

Now with the issue of the use of indicators, 

one could state they were used, 

but since the turn was so slight, 

they were easily released by the steering wheel, 

when it the vehicle steering was straightened, 

after realizing they had been struck by a motorcycle.

So it's hard to tell for sure if the indicator was used or not from the video footage.

If it had been a Thai driving the pickup he wouldn't have been seen for dust... he would have just taken off!!

On 11/22/2017 at 8:18 AM, faraday said:

Car drivers fault.

Also, because motorcycles are small & cars are big, we have a greater responsibility to drive with 'due care & attention'.

The indicators weren't used.

What a load of crap.If you overtake on the inside it’s only ok if you get away with it

• Haha 2

Motorcycle should have been more careful overtaking from wrong side. And the car should have also looked before turning to the left, we all know here people overtake from every conrner

Dont know- I must admit.  On the one hand the car appears to turn without indicating, while on the other the biker is riding fast and undertaking- 50/50.  Certainly nothing that merits outrage.  And quite possibly the biker is driving recklessly.

Overtaking on the inside is crazy and is outlawed in many European countries so if the car didn't indicate - bad driving the Thai overtaking bad riding

Both are incompetent and should both be stopped from returning to the road with vehicles

This is 1 reason I’m Leary of buying a car.   I wouldn’t feel better if it wasn’t a pickup.  The driver seems to be driving at a very safe speed.  The mo cyc is passing the truck.  Even if the driver didn’t signal, and I don’t think we know, a slowing down vehicle suggests some caution.  If the driver carries any fault it’s less than half IMO.  But really, I like the Chinese answer.  Why caution, the drivers wrong.  

I for one hope others are inspired to follow this farangs in knocking off motorcyclists.

As someone who abhors the lack of common sense shown by drivers on the roads here, it is these lessons that teach drivers to be careful

We need many many more such incidents until the motorcyclists and other drivers learn to be a little more sensible and courteous.

On 11/23/2017 at 4:36 PM, Puccini said:

I have now found the Thai text of Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 updated with amendments up to the Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (No. 10) B.E. 2557 (2714) on the website of krisdika.go.th:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rC9KJGGFvdWaE1sUhRG2x8ZauqyKFWFK

Together with the latest amendment, the Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (No. 11) B.E. 2559 (2716), this gives a complete picture, at least with the Thai text, of the currently valid Road Traffic Act. I see that section 36 has never been amended and therefore it is clear that the law requires indicating the intention to turn left or right with hand signals or with lights, as per the English translation of section 36.

Suggest you fast forward and also give the English translation of Section 45.

10 hours ago, manchega said:

I for one hope others are inspired to follow this farangs in knocking off motorcyclists.

As someone who abhors the lack of common sense shown by drivers on the roads here, it is these lessons that teach drivers to be careful

We need many many more such incidents until the motorcyclists and other drivers learn to be a little more sensible and courteous.

Manchega, so you advocate killing people to teach others a lesson. Tell me, which uncivilized society do YOU come from? And you talk about courtesy??? 

The rider at high speed around an entrance, what do you expect....