Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
lkn

Anyone know about this abandoned building?

That building has been a ruin for as long as I can remember.   Clearly they're going to turn it into an actual condo or hotel now (probably condo) but I'd be a little concerned about the structural integrity of a building that's been sitting open and exposed for decades.

Good location though for once; most condos get built way out in desolate places.. (that's not what condo living is supposed to be like..)

• Like 2

It probably has concrete fungus after decades of exposure to the elements. Structural integrity is extremely questionable. I wouldn't step foot in there - way too dangerous.

• Like 2

One in Jomtien on beach road was idle for over 10 years. rebar sticking out everywhere, water running down inside the columns

Now a condo ...

• Like 1

I was told it was started without planning permission but given how much actually got built it was probably a change of "sponsor" in the department concerned.

5 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I was told it was started without planning permission but given how much actually got built it was probably a change of "sponsor" in the department concerned.

There are dozens of abandoned buildings in Chiang Mai, I assumed they were all a result of the financial crisis.

4 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Good location though for once; most condos get built way out in desolate places.. (that's not what condo living is supposed to be like..)

Agree, and I had been eyeing the building exactly because of the location. If foreigners weren’t so limited in what we can do here, I would consider buying and renovating the building myself :)

• Like 2

I have heard that it will be condos 2 per floor

Someone said a Hotel

They have purchased buildings next to the building for car parking

Because that was why they stopped the building when it was shut down

Because there was not parking available

I see this building every day

Maybe i should go and ask

Pantip plaza was atypical example. A skeleton for over 2 decades, the suddenly it became a building, but luckily only 3 floors.

Abandoned high rise run a much greater risk of structural integrity. :unsure:

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

One in Jomtien on beach road was idle for over 10 years. rebar sticking out everywhere, water running down inside the columns

Now a condo ...

That is common and a scary thing when buying a condo.  You just do not know if it was built to any standards.   Have had friends who bought property in Thailand and they did make money but they would have made much more buying in other places.