Jump to content
Muggi1968

Where to meet new friends in Chiang Mai ?

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You have to pay a women to be your wife.  So you can own her?  You have to pay her for sex even after you are married?

 

He doesnt even "own" her though , he has stated that she also has other men on the go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

You have to pay a women to be your wife.  So you can own her?  You have to pay her for sex even after you are married?

You use her like a prize winning sow... to give birth to your offspring... which you have DNA tested.  You can't even trust your wife to have kids that belong to you?

I never said I own her, I just pay rent (just like all the other guys with much younger women), what she does in her time off is entirely up to her. (Do you think Trump isn't renting his wife?) If mine feels like seeking new employment, up to her, would give me a chance for a new one with less mileage.

 

Owning a person? ........ some of you have strange ideas.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

It`s strange actually. I have known a few middle aged and elderly western women that have left their own countries, leaving behind friends, their children, grandchildren, families and even selling up decent homes, giving it all up to come and live in Chiang Mai as virtual recluses. Never understood why?

My personal opinion..., and answer to this last question is:.....,
simply, because they can.
Fortunately these days in this 'mostly real' world.., different people(regardless of gender etc) are allowed to make different choices..., without having to explain why to anyone.
That shouldn't be so hard to comprehend.  

Edited by Sandy Freckle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am semi retired, as so spend about 6 mths in cnx, ( my wife's village, east of sankhaemphang) i learned the language, go touring nth thailand on my bike, meet the people, if you get the yearn for excitement, jump on a plane to bkk, taxi to pattaya, I have my favourite beer bars in cnx, know a few expats, share a yarn & western feed, but mainly run my own race, hope this was a help to you, welcome !

reds songhklasid

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wonder why anyone would come to cm 

some one asked how to meet people 

we are on menopause  and adverts for rip off care mobs

i am surprised they haven't sold you insurance or a condo yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I just pay rent (just like all the other guys with much younger women)

I do not doubt it but luckly I have avoided you and your kind for several decades in CM.  It is definately not "all the other guys" that play it your way.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like basing myself in CM for part of our south western Oz winter...., I enjoy the food and various destinations choices that can be accessed from Chiang Mai now. For the most part I don't mind travelling alone..., it affords me 360 degrees of choices imo. I always try to make friends and learn new things wherever I go..., but, as creepy as some people may choose to read it, yes, sometimes I do feel it would be good to know of another place to go for a drink/yarn/chat...., game of pool..., maybe sling off at English Cricket Team's latest efforts etc...., be that a cafe, restaurant or bar (not necessarily a freelancer or hook-up place). I intend going along to expat club breakfast on my next visit. 
Actually, I can usually find an ice cold 'frosty or 2', some reasonable tucker and a decent conversation(preferably informed?) in friendly and civilised surroundings at The UN Irish Pub...., but it would be nice to know of other similar places ? 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I quite like basing myself in CM for part of our south western Oz winter...., I quite like the food and various destinations choices that can be accessed from here now. For the most part I don't mind travelling alone..., 360 degrees of choices imo. I try to make friends and learn new things wherever I go..., but, as creepy as some people may choose read it, yes, sometimes I do feel it would be good to know of a place to go for a drink/yarn/chat...., game of pool..., maybe sling off at English Cricket Team's latest efforts etc...., be that a cafe, restaurant or bar (not necessarily a freelancer or hook-up place).  Actually, I can usually find a decent conversation in friendly and civilised surroundings at The UN Irish Pub...., but it would be nice to know of other similar places ? 

I can find places mostly now away from that all. Last night my wife and I had a quick eat at a food hall in one of the major complexes and we met an amazing Muslim lady and had a great conversation. It depends on what you want. Many such places you describe just have too many local farang problems once you get known to them and you end up after a few months hanging around them, leaving to the restlessness of the place. You try and leave country and politics along but you will always have one table drunk and just push things. That is one of the main reasons I do not hang in the old town anymore.

 

We now prefer to go to Thai only areas of town and bring just our own circle of Thai/farang friends and meet up. There are so many places here t go to and like you said, are open and friendly, you will never be short of company. Maybe learning Thai somewhat more, smiling and just hanging lose if I was single or looking for friends is the way to go. There is no shortage of entertainment. One the way home from eating last night, we stopped at a Thai bar and I met a English guy and his Thai wife just having a beer. We spoke for a good two hours and exchanged LINE details. My wife can stop at just about any eatery or non-girly bar and within 15 minutes, have a stack of unknowns talking a fest to us.

 

I just you need to try. I have friends that are total recluses and that is how they want to be. With a few of them, I expect over the coming years I will be the one to find them dead in their Condos (if I don't go first). They like it like that as most have had a very rough life.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 3:08 PM, Dante99 said:

However, not all of us like that kind of organized atmosphere,

 

Nothing at the Hash could be considered "organized". Usually quite the opposite. 

 

I'll get my hat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

 

We now prefer to go to Thai only areas of town and bring just our own circle of Thai/farang friends and meet up. There are so many places here t go to and like you said, are open and friendly, you will never be short of company. Maybe learning Thai somewhat more, smiling and just hanging lose if I was single or looking for friends is the way to go. There is no shortage of entertainment. One the way home from eating last night, we stopped at a Thai bar and I met a English guy and his Thai wife just having a beer. We spoke for a good two hours and exchanged LINE details. My wife can stop at just about any eatery or non-girly bar and within 15 minutes, have a stack of unknowns talking a fest to us.

 

Yes thanks for that example of good randomness(serendipity), I really like that kind randomness - it's priceless..., just goes to show what a friendly and open attitude can bring..., you never know what's around the corner. I try to learn a little more 'spoken word' Thai with every visit. Plus..., I reckon an open and positive attitude is the way forward. But also while I like a an occasional drink, I back away from people who can't handle their drink and are inappropriately offensive.
No need for it..., no excuse of bad manners. 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

, I reckon an open and positive attitude is the way forward. But also while I like a an occasional drink, I back away from people who can't handle their drink and are inappropriately offensive.


No need for it..., no excuse of bad manners. 

2

That is the main problem. Three or four places I know I just cannot visit anymore that are primarily farang based and by 3pm in the afternoon, the level of drunken behaviour is just too much. I can easily sit and listen to a bunch of people waffle on about stuff but when they become defensive for no reason at all because of the booze, it just becomes a no-go zone.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, NancyL said:

Wow, I hope you tell whomever presides over your many marriage ceremonies to leave out the part about "in sickness and in health" from your vows.  And I hope the ladies tell the presiding authority to leave out the part about "in richer and in poorer".  

 

As I said, your former wife's condition was probably exacerbated by the hormonal change of menopause and it's treatable.  It isn't a long-term condition. It wasn't that she "lost her will to live" because she could no longer reproduce.  That's a load of BS.

Thai marriages don't include a load of false vows that everyone ignores so that's a step up from western lies. The sickness and health ceremony also includes till death do you part and no one cares about that anymore.

I will admit that his stated attitude is somewhat harsh, but at least he's being honest, unlike women that promise to "love and obey" and do neither.

 

My wife suffered from many problems, both physical and psychological, but despite my support and encouragement never did anything about them, so the old saying about taking horses to water etc is significant.

In the end, she absolved me of trying to help her by kicking me out ( once it was obvious the ATM was no longer in service ).

 

Perhaps the problem with modern marriage is that we have unrealistic expectations. If we were more honest, it would cut down on the marriages for all the wrong reasons and ergo, the number of divorces. That would be a good result.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My wife suffered from many problems, both physical and psychological, but despite my support and encouragement never did anything about them, so the old saying about taking horses to water etc is significant.

In the end, she absolved me of trying to help her by kicking me out ( once it was obvious the ATM was no longer in service ).

There's a lot of us living here with the same past lives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thai marriages don't include a load of false vows that everyone ignores so that's a step up from western lies. The sickness and health ceremony also includes till death do you part and no one cares about that anymore.

I will admit that his stated attitude is somewhat harsh, but at least he's being honest, unlike women that promise to "love and obey" and do neither.

 

My wife suffered from many problems, both physical and psychological, but despite my support and encouragement never did anything about them, so the old saying about taking horses to water etc is significant.

In the end, she absolved me of trying to help her by kicking me out ( once it was obvious the ATM was no longer in service ).

 

Perhaps the problem with modern marriage is that we have unrealistic expectations. If we were more honest, it would cut down on the marriages for all the wrong reasons and ergo, the number of divorces. That would be a good result.

 

I agree i think  modern media encourages us to have expectations which are too high and in my personal opinion i think women are more likely than men to be influenced by what they hear read and see

Edited by Gruff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 18 January 2018 17:12
Sponsors
×