Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Muggi1968

Where to meet new friends in Chiang Mai ?

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

No need for me to keep my wits about me, I have a pension in my home country, the worst my Thai lady can do to me is run me out of money before the end of the month (if I let her). Next month it's all good again. It's the guys that come here with no pension and a big wadge of cash, and try to 'invest' that generally run into trouble. 

I'd agree that someone with a healthy pension--say around 100k/mo--is better off than someone with a big pile of cash and no pension.  Of course, it's better to have both.  But then, there's some who come to Thailand with neither. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I'd agree that someone with a healthy pension--say around 100k/mo--is better off than someone with a big pile of cash and no pension.  Of course, it's better to have both.  But then, there's some who come to Thailand with neither. 

Many of my pals are doing OK in CM on 20k a month, and can afford a live in girlfriend with that. 100k ..... LUXURY!

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

The culture of social interaction, values and relationships.  Benefits are obvious.

 

So how does that differ than for other countries / communities? Do you mean family ties are stronger here and what are the obvious benefits. That was my point people  keep saying it but don't explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Many of my pals are doing OK in CM on 20k a month, and can afford a live in girlfriend with that. 100k ..... LUXURY!

Yes, I am not sure where these figures come from. I am in full time employ and don't spend anywhere near that figure. I live comfortably and am not missing out on anything. Most of my salary is being saved for retirement. This is in BKK. I would spend even less were I to live on my wife's hometown. 

 

I came here as a 19 year old and am 55 later this week. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

It almost requires a strong understanding of the language to fully understand the culture.  If you were to ask me to explain the American culture, I'm not sure I'd be able to explain it in a way that would be helpful/useful.  You would have to immerse yourself in that culture...and of course, be able to speak the language.   

 Still absolutely no explanation. Knowledge of language is always useful but if you are living in a thai community with limited language skills surely you would be observing and learning. Also if you are correct that a deep understanding of language help are you learning cultural negatves or positives? Where i agree is that i would struggle to explain British culture as well. I think culture is a much misused word and people aren't taking care when they use it

Edited by Gruff
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gruff said:

 

So how does that differ than for other countries / communities? Do you mean family ties are stronger here and what are the obvious benefits. That was my point people  keep saying it but don't explain.

Your question indicates that explaining to you would be a real large time-consuming chore.  You have so little cross-cultural understanding. (If you had a reasonable amount, you would never have asked that question) To learn about Thai Culture buy a book,  you might start with Culture Shock Thailand.

 

Where are you from, northern Michigan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dante99 said:

Your question indicates that explaining to you would be a real large time-consuming chore.  You have so little cross-cultural understanding. (If you had a reasonable amount, you would never have asked that question) To learn about Thai Culture buy a book,  you might start with Culture Shock Thailand.

 

Where are you from, northern Michigan? 

 What a 'cop out' that response is. If you use the word you should be able to explain it !  Instead your defence is to be insulting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 What a 'cop out' that response is. If you use the word you should be able to explain it !  Instead your defence is to be insulting to me.

Since nobody has explained it to you it is probably your problem not theirs.

Who gives a f...k if you are insulted?


Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

........  If you were to ask me to explain the American culture, I'm not sure I'd be able to explain it in a way that would be helpful/useful. 

American culture, war, greed and cocaine

Thai culture, prostitution, greed and meth

 

Not all that different IMHO, the Thais just make love not war!

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bill97 said:


Since nobody has explained it to you it is probably your problem not theirs.

Who gives a f...k if you are insulted?


Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

 

Well i think it is much mre likely that nobody can explain how  having an in depth knowledge of the language makes you  better equipped to understand the culture !  Re insults it is just ignorant to insult someone on the basis of a different opinion. Can't you see that?

Edited by Gruff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

American culture, war, greed and cocaine

Thai culture, prostitution, greed and meth

 

Not all that different IMHO, the Thais just make love not war!

In terms of culture neither country has a lot to be proud about ! 

Edited by Gruff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gruff said:

 

 If you want to meet friends coffee shops in morning bars at night. i think there is something a bit weird  about going to a designated activity club not for the purpose of the designated activity but to meet people.

I think that's very ironic..., many, many people go to these 'designated activity clubs' to do exactly that...., to meet people(surprise, surprise)...., in fact some people even have the cheek to meet other people outside of these 'designated activity clubs' beforehand to find out about these 'designated activity clubs'. Imagine that if you can ?
Yes indeed..., It may well seem 'a bit weird' inside your head Gruff(no surprises there)..., that's completely fine, and of course, it's your free choice..., but fortunately in the real world.., different people get to make different choices..., if thats alright with you...? 
...., that's my opinion anyway.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 13 December 2017 08:24
Sponsors
×