Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
simoh1490

Incredibly Poor Software

I cannot be the only one who sees these things,  when posting on Thaivisa Forum, god but it's getting tiresome:

A text editor that: arbitrarily deletes parts of, or entire posts, once written and/or, recalls random past posting titles and tries to reuse them. I've informed Support about these things and their answer is to use notepad and do a copy and paste....really, is that the best you can suggest!

I strongly suspect the silent majority has voted with their feet and have simply given up, how long before more people do - I do hope you are aware of these things but simply not doing anything about them!

FIX THESE THINGS, the software is very nearly not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

A text editor that: arbitrarily deletes parts of, or entire posts, once written and/or, recalls random past posting titles and tries to reuse them.

Not sure what you mean since I have had not problem doing posts. Could you do a screen shot when you are having problems? That would helps us understand what the problem is.

If you don't complete as post and leave the page you were posting on it saves the incomplete post.

Exactly the same for me. I have had MANY long posts entirely deleted, or large sections thereof when going back to correct something or backspacing. When I'm putting in a lot of effort and typing long posts, I have to remember to use Wordpad and then copy 'n paste the completed post when I done in case I lose it and have to start over. I still get caught out from time to time. The deletions are so fast I don't even know exactly how they happen. They just disappear. My best guess is that it happens when I try to edit something back in the post by moving my cursor back somewhere. This never, ever happened before the last major changes on the forum.

Sometimes the cursor gets stuck and I can't input text. I have experienced so many bugs it's impossible to recall them all. I have to agree with the OP, whatever text editor the forum now uses is very bad indeed. Surely the 2 of us aren't the only ones experiencing these problems. I've used this forum for over 11 years and posted over 20k posts. I have never had any problems until the latest update.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tropo said:

Exactly the same for me. I have had MANY long posts entirely deleted, or large sections thereof when going back to correct something or backspacing. When I'm putting in a lot of effort and typing long posts, I have to remember to use Wordpad and then copy 'n paste the completed post when I done in case I lose it and have to start over. I still get caught out from time to time. The deletions are so fast I don't even know exactly how they happen. They just disappear. My best guess is that it happens when I try to edit something back in the post by moving my cursor back somewhere. This never, ever happened before the last major changes on the forum.

Sometimes the cursor gets stuck and I can't input text. I have experienced so many bugs it's impossible to recall them all. I have to agree with the OP, whatever text editor the forum now uses is very bad indeed. Surely the 2 of us aren't the only ones experiencing these problems. I've used this forum for over 11 years and posted over 20k posts. I have never had any problems until the latest update.

Thank you for confirming this. There can be no doubt that many other posters also suffer the same problem and either suffer in silence or simply give up and don't post, it's a great way to p*ss off posters who have spent time thinking about the statements they want to make. As for why people don't complain about it: it took me a couple of months to get sufficiently annoyed to where I wanted to vent at someone on the subject, imagine how many others have simply washed their hands of it all and walked away instead!

Using Notepad or similar is the work around I was given by Support and that simply is an unacceptable solution past the very short term.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Thank you for confirming this. There can be no doubt that many other posters also suffer the same problem and either suffer in silence or simply give up and don't post, it's a great way to p*ss off posters who have spent time thinking about the statements they want to make. As for why people don't complain about it: it took me a couple of months to get sufficiently annoyed to where I wanted to vent at someone on the subject, imagine how many others have simply washed their hands of it all and walked away instead!

Using Notepad or similar is the work around I was given by Support and that simply is an unacceptable solution past the very short term.

I have also chosen to "suffer in silence" until I read your post. I've written dozens of long posts that disappeared. Mostly I give up and don't retype them... I'm lucky to be a touch typist. I can imagine how it would feel for a 2 finger hunt and pecker to lose a long effort. As you say, they may just stop posting or walk. It surprised me too that no one else is complaining. The problem is the bug is hard to replicate because I still don't know exactly how it happens. If I don't use WordPad, when my post gets to a certain length I copy it, just in case it disappears. This is very important if you need to go back and change something.

• Like 1

It just happened again ... I repositioned my cursor to delete some text and much of it disappeared. I had copied my post to clipboard before I went back to make the changes. After repasting all the text and trying to add more text my cursor was stuck and I couldn't type more. The only way to resolve this was to refresh the page and start again. Now with unrelenting adblocker nag screens that pop up constantly playing radio music, and text editor problems, you wonder how many people are "walking". Perhaps old members like us will persist, but newbies won't deal with that for long.

• Like 1

There is a series of lesser important faults that need fixing also, the most important of these, I think, is that when going to reply to a post, frequently the text editor picks up quotes from other posts, seemingly at random, sometimes a post I was looking at earlier.

Another fault is that "followed threads" appear to be random, I've just unfollowed three pages of threads, many of which I've certainly never replied to, some of which are of no interest to me.

CTRL-Z will restore text that is accidently deleted. Very common to do with touchpad and WIN10 more often than not. Hot CTRL-Z and magically re-appear.

7 hours ago, tonray said:

CTRL-Z will restore text that is accidently deleted. Very common to do with touchpad and WIN10 more often than not. Hot CTRL-Z and magically re-appear.

This is not a CNTRL-Z type problem, I've tried that.

13 hours ago, tonray said:

I'll give that a go next time happens.  

14 hours ago, tonray said:

Thanks for the tip. I had a chance to try it out twice, and it did bring back the missing text. You have to make sure you hit CTRL-Z as soon as the text disappears before you click the mouse again.

I'll try it again and hopefully, it will work this time, it didn't when I tried earlier.

I hope that somebody from Support or Moderation is following this thread because there are now enough people supporting what has been said to confirm there's a real problem that's affecting everyone. Perhaps this time you'll actually do something about it rather than recommend everyone use notepad for their posts!

28 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I hope that somebody from Support or Moderation is following this thread because there are now enough people supporting what has been said to confirm there's a real problem that's affecting everyone.

I'm not defending the software the board uses, I sure as heck wouldn't be recommending Invision to people intending to start up a forum.

I have no doubt whatever that some are having issues, I've had the odd occasion where something has gone awry with a post, but it's not a regular or, importantly for the developers, repeatable occurrence. If we can't make it happen it's very difficult to fix.

The advice to use Notepad is good, edit as you wish, save locally, and it adds just a few clicks to your posting experience. It's exactly what I do if I'm doing a long post and don't know exactly when I'll be ready to commit it to the forum mangling machine.