Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
simoh1490

Incredibly Poor Software

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm not defending the software the board uses, I sure as heck wouldn't be recommending Invision to people intending to start up a forum.

I have no doubt whatever that some are having issues, I've had the odd occasion where something has gone awry with a post, but it's not a regular or, importantly for the developers, repeatable occurrence. If we can't make it happen it's very difficult to fix.

The advice to use Notepad is good, edit as you wish, save locally, and it adds just a few clicks to your posting experience. It's exactly what I do if I'm doing a long post and don't know exactly when I'll be ready to commit it to the forum mangling machine.

A part of the problem is that the extent of the problem hasn't been quantified yet, so whilst you refer to some as having problems, I suspect it is most. And whilst I do understand your starting point on this issue, you cannot be serious that using notepad is a solution, it's just not in the frame.

As for repeatability: I am able to repeat it almost at will and everything about my internet connection and PC configuration is standard, Windows 10, Bitdefender, Zone Alarm etc. Where I am perhaps different is that my posts tend to be longer than average hence the idea that refresh might play a role is one possibility, as I recall, poster Tropo's posts are also usually not short and he suffers from the same problem.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I'll try it again and hopefully, it will work this time, it didn't when I tried earlier.

I hope that somebody from Support or Moderation is following this thread because there are now enough people supporting what has been said to confirm there's a real problem that's affecting everyone. Perhaps this time you'll actually do something about it rather than recommend everyone use notepad for their posts!

Not everyone, just 2 people right now or if you count those liking the posts, maybe 6?

I am not sure what is meant by 'latest update' as I haven't seen many significant changes since the great rebuild and certainly don't have issues with adblocking and noisy radios.

FWIW, I am running Win7 (32 and 64 bit) and use Chrome and Firefox. I have only updated to the latest Firefox on one machine as I have found it slow and glitchy on the one machine it is running on.

23 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Where I am perhaps different is that my posts tend to be longer than average hence the idea that refresh might play a role is one possibility, as I recall, poster Tropo's posts are also usually not short and he suffers from the same problem.

If you can detail exactly what you do to make this occur (with browser versions, plug-ins installed etc) we can at least have a shot at sorting it.

I'm not a developer and have no influence over the developers (this is commercial software remember) but if we can give them something that they can do to cause the issue that's half the battle.

Meanwhile, there is a work-around (Notepad) you can use if you wish.

10 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I'll try it again and hopefully, it will work this time, it didn't when I tried earlier.

I hope that somebody from Support or Moderation is following this thread because there are now enough people supporting what has been said to confirm there's a real problem that's affecting everyone. Perhaps this time you'll actually do something about it rather than recommend everyone use notepad for their posts!

Notepad is too limited - WordPad is better.

I tried the Ctrl Z out a number of times when I lost text earlier this morning. One time I didn't retrieve all of the text which disappeared, another couple of times I did. The trick seems to be to hit Ctrl Z immediately after it disappears, before right-clicking or moving the cursor - before touching your mouse or any other keys.

This is a bit better than having to always use WordPad, but I'm still not confident if I make long posts. My current technique is to copy and save as I type, after each paragraph.

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

Notepad is too limited - WordPad is better.

I tried the Ctrl Z out a number of times when I lost text earlier this morning. One time I didn't retrieve all of the text which disappeared, another couple of times I did. The trick seems to be to hit Ctrl Z immediately after it disappears, before right-clicking or moving the cursor - before touching your mouse or any other keys.

This is a bit better than having to always use WordPad, but I'm still not confident if I make long posts. My current technique is to copy and save as I type, after each paragraph.

Interestingly, I just tried it a minute ago and CNTRL-Z worked and recovered everything that I'd lost.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

If you can detail exactly what you do to make this occur (with browser versions, plug-ins installed etc) we can at least have a shot at sorting it.

I'm not a developer and have no influence over the developers (this is commercial software remember) but if we can give them something that they can do to cause the issue that's half the battle.

Meanwhile, there is a work-around (Notepad) you can use if you wish.

The fact that administration has indicated that using Notepad should be used as a work-around indicates there is a serious issue, and it is. I've posted in hundreds of forum over the years - this has never happened anywhere else. I use Chrome with all updates always applied, so perhaps it is more evident in Chrome than other browsers - who knows. 

I do feel that support is not taking this seriously enough.

I will try to replicate this problem and report my findings here. The problem has been that the deletions are lightning fast and the exact cause is hard to pinpoint. Just hitting the spacebar or backspace has caused it.

Having said that, the text disappearing problem is only one of the bugs. I've had many problems with this new software. It's just full of weird bugs that come and go.