Jonathan Fairfield

“Sneaky” Swiss thieves set to spend Christmas in Thai jail after airport theft

Early on this year I was at the airport waiting for my flight on Qantas. I had gone down to the ground floor to the smoke room, walked down the passage way same as the place they pinched the laptop. It was empty and on a seat was a laptop bag with what looked like a new Apple lap top. I picked it up and took it to the airport information desk and gave it in. I got a receipt and hoped it would be announced and claimed by the owner. Nice piece of equipment but I thought how sorry I would have been to loose mine. I felt really good I found it because not many people would have given it in. Hope these <deleted> get a few years free holiday in  the pleasant accomodation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shaurene said:

Early on this year I was at the airport waiting for my flight on Qantas. I had gone down to the ground floor to the smoke room, walked down the passage way same as the place they pinched the laptop. It was empty and on a seat was a laptop bag with what looked like a new Apple lap top. I picked it up and took it to the airport information desk and gave it in. I got a receipt and hoped it would be announced and claimed by the owner. Nice piece of equipment but I thought how sorry I would have been to loose mine. I felt really good I found it because not many people would have given it in. Hope these <deleted> get a few years free holiday in  the pleasant accomodation.

Interesting- same location.

Any chance this is a weird scam/sting?

Thought it is weird they were recognized weeks later- it's a busy airport after all!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Appears to be "The Season of the Swiss" for crime in Thailand, maybe the Spring or Summer will be the Americans, or the Australians season.

This is heartless to steal someone’s personal computer. They should lock them up for at least a year.  Quite common lately for sneaky tourist thieves. Should make an example of these animal and get some press coverage to stop this behavior.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, barsie said:

Weirder still do I read it right- they stole the laptop on arrival?

You got it right....."The couple stole the notebook when they arrived in Thailand in October and police arrested them when they tried to board a plane home on November 24th after being recognised by airport security staff."       Hmmmmm  begs the question, maybe several hundred thousand people came thru that airport that month, how did they recognize them  -  I think they turned on the "Find my Mac" feature and the laptop was located in th departure lounge..........I turned it on my old iPhone 5 and found it in Cambodia after I lost it in Thailand.  I erased it over the air and was notified by Apple when it was erased...........good feature.     But maybe this airport Apple left in the arrival lounge was indeed a scam as one poster suggested??

14 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You got it right....."The couple stole the notebook when they arrived in Thailand in October and police arrested them when they tried to board a plane home on November 24th after being recognised by airport security staff."       Hmmmmm  begs the question, maybe several hundred thousand people came thru that airport that month, how did they recognize them  -  I think they turned on the "Find my Mac" feature and the laptop was located in th departure lounge..........I turned it on my old iPhone 5 and found it in Cambodia after I lost it in Thailand.  I erased it over the air and was notified by Apple when it was erased...........good feature.     But maybe this airport Apple left in the arrival lounge was indeed a scam as one poster suggested??

More likely that the suspects photos had been circulated among airport staff , their photos could have been mugshots on display at the immigration booths .

If this was indeed a scam, they would have arrested the thiefs at the time

49 minutes ago, shaurene said:

Are you sure that you are telling the truth ?

3 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

Thieves are the worst kind of people. These are stupid thieves, stealing in an airport with cameras everywhere. I hope they throw the book at them.

They'd probably steal the book as well. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Face Recognition hard and software installed. 

6 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

They'd probably steal the book as well. 

C'Mon! You shouldn't judge the book just by its cover.....

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

An Indian stole many TV's...here, Swiss nationals steal a laptop and it will carry on.

I know its not really relevant but you are wrong about the Indian stealing tv's in Thailand. It was in Bangalore in Southern India lol.

"The footage shows the woman sitting next to the notebook which had been left unattended by its Thai owner. "

Who goes on vacation to commit "crimes of opportunity"?

Criminals. 🤣

hmmm?  This has scam written all over it after reading "Shaurene's" post.  Drug dealers, counterfitters, etc etc leave all the time and are not recognized.  1 notebook stolen from a passenger a week+ earlier immediately sets off alarms and whistles and they go as far as searching their luggage.  hmmm?  Does the word "entrapment" mean anything in here?  Security is looking suspiciously good here.   I'd like to hear the end of this story come January 11th.

11 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

The couple will get to avoid all the snow and yodelling of Switzerland for at least another 5 weeks.  While they might not get much of a tan, I'm sure they will lose a little weight while guests of the Thai government.  Nice Catch Swampy security

they might also catch a disease like Hepatitis in jail, quite common here with the food !?...well, one stupid mistake could change there whole life !!!

11 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

I believe gaols are already flooded with the guilty             

Hmm,...I believe there are more innocent people in jail than guilty ones in Thailand !?!?